Young Caesar series from Starz (Spartacus spinoff)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Temis the Vorta, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Still no plans for vampires, though.

I've elided some possibly spoilery details about how the character will be introduced, but they're in the story.

2. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I would rather watch this as a serious series instead of blood and titsfest.

3. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Fat chance.. i doubt they'd change the style of the show which means Caesar will be fucking and gore'ing his way through his show (or he'll only do the fucking and leave the blood to someone else).

It's the appeal and style of the show.. the first season was awesome due to íts characters and overall story. The sex and violence was not really needed to make an interesting show but it sure draws the attention when you market it that way.

I don't think well get something akin to Rome.. they'll bend the Caesar character a bit to emphasize the violence in his life and introduce some hot women so they can fill the tits quota.

I gave up on Spartacus after Whitfield died.. the new guy is ok but he never really clicked for me. Doubt i'll watch Caesar.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'm sure it'll be fun. It's hard to make Caesar boring (although I would have thought the same with Alexander before that disaster of a movie). I guess it'll be like HBO's Rome only starting a bit earlier so you'll get a lot of Roman power politics and fighting.

Assuming the spoiler you are referring to is:
    Julius Caesar appearing in Spartacus
    While I guess it's necessary to make the spinoff, I hope they cast a good actor to play Crassus too because, for Spartacus, that's the Roman who was actually the enemy and, although he's kind of forgotten in things, he was just as important as Pompey and Caesar at one point.

5. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hard to top Olivier in that role!

"I'M NOT AFTER GLORY!
    ... I'm after Spartacus."

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope Crassus gets to make a cringeworthy speech about snails and oysters. :D

7. Forbin

"I don't like seafood, Dominus."
    :D

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I saw "Young Caesar" I totally thought that planet of the Apes was being tapped again.

9. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

There's always Rome. :shrug:

I hope we get more Spartacus-eque tv series, absolutely love it.

10. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Eh.. one tits and blood series at a time is enough. I've put Spartacus away for a long time after seeing bits and pieces of the pilot and decided actually it was too much blood and violence and tits but sometime later i picked it up again, got used to the level of gore and watched the first season.

However i definitely don't want this to be the new benchmark on how shows should look like.. Spartacus is way over the top (kinda like Michael Bay) and best enjoyed in small doses.

11. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

It doesn't make me as angry as Michael Bay's movies do, though. Also no Shia Leboeuf so it has that going for it too.

12. Forbin

Pretty sure the cartoon gore and over-the-topness was inspired by 300.

13. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Young Caesar was not terrribly interesting in himself. He was a nephew of Marius and son-in-law to Cinna, who are completely neglected in popular drama. As a kind of hereditary popularis, it was surprising that he survived Sulla's triumph, especially given that he refused to divorce his wife. It was those other men who were the movers and shakers. Defying Sulla is exciting in one way but marital fidelity sure isn't the Starz way. And I believe that Sulla took him out of politics by making him Flamen Dialis, a priesthood that restricted his activities. I guarantee you that isn't the Starz way.

Of course there are the famous stories about how well he dressed and King Nicomedes of Bithynia. But I don't think that foppery is the Starz way either, and there's no way Caesar Queen of Bithynia is going to make it onto Starz.

Caesar wasn't even the main politician appealing for popular support for most of his career. Both Catiline and Publius Clodius were more colorful and significant.

The only thing for Starz is Caesar and the pirates. It's a good enough story but it's a movie, not a series.

If this actually comes about, this Caesar will have about as much to do with Roman history as the one in Xena.