One or two-off novelists who should come back?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Star Treks, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

In January 1988, I was stuck in a country town on a rainy, miserable holiday and I ran out of ST novels to read. I found "Dreamsnake and other stories" in a little second hand book store. It's fantastic!

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Four-off, actually -- two of each. The Vulcan Academy Murders and its direct sequel The IDIC Epidemic for TOS, Survivors and Metamorphosis for TNG.

3. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Kobayashi Maru, now there's a snappy title. I wonder why noone ever thought of it before.

So what happens to the original novel. Does it get decanonated or somefing? :p

The Trek Lit squad go from house to house throughout the world, seeking all copies of Kobayashi maru by Julia Ecklar, taking it by force if necessary, and have a great big bonfire in front of the Brandenberg Gate. :devil:

4. Therin of Andor

Why? The first book, the TOS one, was four officers telling how they dealt with the no-win scenario test in Starfleet Academy. We also saw Saavik's KM test in ST II.

The ENT version will be the actual incident that inspired the infamous scenario used at the Academy.

I don't see a problem.

5. Christopher

Besides, Julia Ecklar's novel is called The Kobayashi Maru. That makes all the difference. :D

6. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:wtf: And while we are at it, we have a slave market nearby and kill some native americans. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

P.S.: And when you want to cater to stereotyps, at least get your facts right, it's the Brandenburger Tor (or Brandenburg Gate).

7. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

:rolleyes:

This is hardly the first title duplication in Star Trek history: Requiem, Triangle, Enterprise, Honor Bound, First Contact, Reunion, Perchance to Dream, Final Frontier......

8. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Mother! Mother! They're taking me seriously again!

"Use more smilies son..."

9. Defcon

I knew you were trying to be funny and maybe I was overreacting, but I'm just tired of the fact that anything Germany seems to be assosiated with by non-Germans is a timeframe of 12 years. That's why I brought similar historical timeframes of America into play.

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's not true. Americans also remember World War I and the Kaiser!

But, yes, point taken.

11. Therin of Andor

I knew you were joking, or at least I hoped you were, but you do have a knack of making yourself sound miserable in your posts, which is so at odds with your nick and piccy. ;)

I recall some of the first title duplications in Star Trek (novel titles that had already been episodes and vice versa), and my concern about possible confusion. Titles can mean a lot to the person developing/writing a story, and I've now met a lot of non ST pro authors who'll mention either their thrill of getting to keep a particular title, or the battle that went on when marketing tried to change it.

It seems such an arbitrary thing to an outsider, to simply say to an author, "You can't have that title; it's already been used." But when you're intrinsically linked to a certain title, it's not necessarily easy to let it go.

A "Bonanza" friend of mine reckons that, in its long run of fourteen years, one episode title was used three times.

12. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

I wasn't, but, this being the internet, somebody might've. :)

13. Byron Blake

Byron Blake Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ok, let's just be friends again, shall we? Sit down, grab a beer and listen to some of David Hasselhoff's music... :angel:

14. Defcon

But keep the music volume low, because according to Hoff his music can break down walls. :guffaw:

15. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ahh, KRAD, now you're spoiling it. Next you'll tell us that the mutiple Doctor Who episodes called (the) Rescue, (the) Invasion, etc etc don't drive you into a fannish frenzy of confusion...
    PS: You didn't mention Emissary/The Emissary ;-)

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Andrew Robinson

17. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't remember the author's name but I'd like to see another book from the author of the DS9 book, The Laeterian Gamble. I know that there's mixed opinions on that particularly novel but it was one of the most distinct and most 'alein' Star Trek books I've ever read. I have a feeling if he/she were to dish up another novel that it would also be something quite distinct.

18. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jean Lorrah did an outstanding job with Metamorphosis. There are still some scenes I remember vividly even after 8 or 10 years has passed since I read it.

19. Defcon

That's one author who can't come back. Robert Sheckley died in 2005.

20. Christopher

^^However, Robert Sheckley wrote numerous works of original science fiction, fantasy, and humor (plus a few novelizations and tie-ins) over an acclaimed career spanning half a century. Anyone who wants to read more by Sheckley should have no trouble finding it, as long as they don't expect it to be Star Trek.

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?Robert_Sheckley