Star Trek TWOK Blue Ray oddity

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Watched the iTunes HD Director's Cut of TWOK.

Beautiful. Exact same print as the 2 disc DVD was made from right down to the little "sprocket jitter" when Spock says "Carol Marcus" at the beginning of the Gen tape.

With minor clean-up they could use it for the DC Blu-ray of the movie.

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

what's a "sprocket jitter"?

3. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I noticed that they replaced the covers of the other movies with the new ones from the 2009 box set. About a year ago, iTunes had the HD versions with the old movie poster covers ... I wonder if those were old HD transfers as well? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I don't know how to describe it, but it's there on the Two Disc Directors Edition DVD as well as the One Disc Bare Bones Theatrical Edition. Just look at the scene that Grant described, and you'll now.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know how you can look at the shots and not see that the blue washed into the ships too.

That said, when I saw theatrical showing, Regula had a different bluish tint during the scene where Kirk said "Khaaan."

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

He's a friend of mine. I'll try to remember to ask him next time I see him. I'll be at the VES (Visual Effects Society) BBQ tomorrow. Maybe he'll be there.

6. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

If he's there, it might be worthwhile to mention Preston Jones' book is finally coming out. Wonder how many of the fx guys he talked with way back when?

7. JJTrek4ever!

JJTrek4ever! Lieutenant Junior Grade

It might also be worthwhile to mention that his flying garbage truck from Blade Runner still sucks. :rolleyes:

8. Grant

I don't know the correct term ---that's why I put it in quotes.

It's when the sprocket holes on the 35mm film are damaged and it causes the film to jump.

It's very, very slight---probably 1 defective "hole" and it causes the film to snag for a split second.

watch the bottom center of the scene (if you own the 2 disc DVD) at the second Spock says "Carol Marcus" and you will see the bottom of the frame pull upward for a fraction of a second.

It's on the DVD 2-disc and the iTunes HD streaming version---indicating they came from the same print.

9. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Same print? It's the same transfer.

Neil

10. Grant

Right, it's the exact same transfer except the HD version of it.

11. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Maybe it's the overall darker feel to the BD capture, but ironically I feel like I get more detail out of the DVD image, despite it being a lower resolution. I can jut see more.

I haven't watched the BD version enough to be objective though. I'm still in the 'they changed something I loved' camp.

12. JJTrek4ever!

50 quatloos sez that Maurice is going to be in a Post-BBQ Food Coma until tomorrow evening (PDT) at the earliest. :p

13. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

What's the other quote splitting up the sections in Fleming's YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE?

"It is better to travel hopefully ... than to arrive."

Sure 'hope' that ain't true about the Jones book.

14. Maurice

Well, Bill did work on TMP over at Jein's shop. His first project was, I think, working on the "space lips".

He wasn't at the BBQ yesterday, but I'm sure he saw the book since I posted about it on facebook and we're friends there. But, again, I'll ask him about it next time I see him in person.

Speaking of in-person, I got to have a lengthy chat with Peter Kuran yesterday, which was a real treat (he lives up near you, Trevanian). Dennis Muren wandered over and they started talking shop and I slipped out shortly thereafter. Also chatted with Steve "Spaz" Williams (his Vimeo page in here (link)). Phil Tippett was there, too, amongst others.

What sucks is the idea that that would be an appropriate thing to say to someone.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  15. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I only interviewed Pete once, about SW for the CINEFEX retrospective in 96, but he told great stories. I should look him up, in my 'when will it finally be done?' screenplay based on the unedited article, he actually has several scenes.

Read today that Paul Olsen wrote a screenplay based on his TMP experiences. Keep thinking that if I could get some interest in the formation of ILM 'a long time ago in a galaxy without cgi ... ' script that I could get onto my dream docudrama, TMP ... have already dreamed up a fictionalized version of same, focusing more on Wise and Welles as a kind of decades later payoff for AMBERSONS.

Any real interesting stuff at VES VFXwise?

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I just wish CINEFEX would do an all trek issue, reprinting earlier articles. Heck, I have the Galaxy Quest one, and there was talk about sketches of their early "Protector" concepts they thought too Trek like.

But they didn't show them!

I've had that stick in my head for years.

17. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Now that they've done the digital issue thing (iPad I think), I don't think they're ever going to reprint anything physically (they only ever did that for the TITANIC issue because it sold out so fast, and in the UK, Titan did Book versions of the BLADE RUNNER issue and (I think) a single volume with the first three ALIEN movie articles in it.

18. Maurice

Peter basically said "don't remind me" about Dreamscape. We mostly talked about Trinity and Beyond (for those who've not seen it, it's amazing) and the films in that series, and how he still comes down here to do work with Lawrence Livermore Labs. He said only Trinity was restored to 35mm because of cost, the rest, sadly, are like at HD video res. Fortunately, Trinity was Bluray-able.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQMnC7AM7jc[/yt]​

They didn't do any presentations this year (last year they showed a ton of behind the scenes films from ILM and Jurassic Park), but they gave the coolest award of recognition to David Tanaka—who recently stepped down as the Chair of the local group—and there was an art show with works by people like Tippett, Ken Ralston, etc. Oh, and stormtroopers. Always stormtroopers.

19. JJTrek4ever!

Well, if it was somebody that I didn't happen to like or respect... But as I am never going to meet or interact with the gentleman IRL I see no harm in indulging my fantasies. :)

20. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

JJTREK in pidgeon English talk to Bill George, in the vein of Lennie in OF MICE & MEN:

Tell me about the flying trucks landing on the rabbits, George ...