MASS EFFECT: Spiritual successor to Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SpaceLama, Aug 22, 2009.

1. SpaceLama

SpaceLama Commander Red Shirt

Seriously the best science fiction space opera game I have ever played. One of the best games I have ever played, period.

And more than that... the setting is as DEEP as Star Trek. The setting is so detailed, with thousands of years of history, awesome alien cultures, scientifically rigorous technology, and a galaxy full of enigma.

While the press was obsessed with Final Fantasy XIII, a game which at the time didn't even have any footage, Mass Effect didn't get the recognition it should have.

It sold very well - people wont forget it anytime soon - but it deserved to be an even bigger seller, if there was any justice.

2. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the PC, it had a fair few bugs which put people off.

Mostly, I didn't have any problem with it and found it to be a great game:) - I would like to see a Trek mod for it. (Wouldn't mind seeing a few mods for it actually)

3. SpaceLama

It would be a shame if people got put off an AAA game by the decisions of the publisher, who are the real ones responsible for any problems the PC port might have had. Also I'm not interested in any mods for it, on account of it being such a complete experience itself - to make a Star Trek RPG that was as good, you would have to build it again from the ground up, with full voiceover, etc.

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Strangely, I don't remember Star Trek being full of pointless fetching and carrying jobs.

5. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

It does? :confused: The only problem I noticed on my first playthrough was problems with the sound on the Citadel, which was quickly resolved with a fix I found on the official forums. I didn't come across any other problems.

6. SpaceLama

What pointless fetching and carrying jobs? :confused:

I recall Star Trek has had a filler episode or two :rolleyes:

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

The malfunctioning computer when you're chasing after Matriarch Benezia for a start.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I loved Mass Effect. I probably put more time into it than just about any other game I've played. I just love the story, characters, and setting so much that the game's lesser qualities don't really bother me. I can't wait for early next year when ME2 will hopefully be released (I'm hoping it'll be no later than April).

But shouldn't this be in the Gaming forum?

9. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wish it had followed Star Trek down the dune-buggy/warthog route rather than that stupid MAKO thing that handled like shit. :(

I replayed it recently in preparation for the sequel and it is an astonishingly well-crafted universe for a game. And I love how different it feels while playing it as different characters; Commander Benedict Sheppard the paragon xenophile :angel: and Commander Denise Sheppard the bitchy renegade. :devil:

10. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mass Effect is definitely the best game I've played. Good thing 2 is coming out soon.

11. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

If they could combine the planet side game play of Mass effect and the space side game play of Freelancer we would have the most perfect space game ever made.

12. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Me, I'm hauling my butt back and forth between starbases."

--Capt. Robert DeSoto of the Excelsior-class USS Hood, humorously chiding Picard that Galaxy-class ships get all the choice assignments.

13. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Mass Effect was a great game, though I wouldn't really call it the spiritual successor to Star Trek. Its definitely worthy of being in its own separate category. That being said, there are a few things I hope they fix in the future

14. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

I thought it was great, but it wasn't perfect. It borrowed alot from elements of KOTOR(understandably so) and Babylon 5 especially. It was a brilliant game though.

15. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't recall any fetching or carrying. Just a simple tower of Hanoi.

16. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well considering they also made KOTOR, the borrowing is somewhat forgiven.

17. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a good game, but i thought the combat was pretty clunky and uninspiring. I miss the days when there was real strategy involved in RPGs instead of bad shooter gameplay.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Mass Effect had a stellar story and setting, and pretty good combat, but the side quests were repetitive as hell and the inventory system was incredibly infuriating. Also, I found it impossible to play the game on the normal difficulty setting, while the easy setting was no challenge whatsoever. Of course I never bothered to learn how to use the biotics I just went in guns blazing. :p

19. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I think Mass Effect would have done better if it lifted its controls from GRAW 2. Out of all the tactical shooters I have played, GRAW 2 has merged the control over multiple characters and shooter gameplay better than any other. Just add in commands for biotics and you would have a pretty sweet experience with tight gameplay

20. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it handled reasonably well... the fact that it was fairly dice-roll based anyway mitigated the sometimes awkward controls.
    That said, I just had more fun playing it over a traditional RPG because the battles were faster and not turn based.