Does It Get Better???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by AdmiralScreed, Dec 4, 2011.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I once wrote a big post (not here) on how important it was to only breed with attractive people. I listed all the unfortunate features to be avoided with an emphasis on hidden ones that could mesh with your own genetic history and turn into something people whisper about to be catty. It was a great big troll and it made people very mad. But still, it's all math and it was quite true.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I think the only reason I still have my hair and not a lot of gray is because, my ex-wife and I never had kids. Never been a father. That has to be it. Never owned a house. It sometimes makes me think I never became an adult.

3. teacake

Yes because debt IS manliness.

At least so it seems in this day and age where slaying stuff is for try hards.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Read a book where a totalitarian state took over and sterilized everyone with a family history of cancer or any other congenital disease which almost doubled the mean life expectancy of the species.

Col. Green did the same in TOS/ENT when he executed all the irradiated survivors/refugees of ww3.

And in the real world...

The Nazis had roving Trucks that offered free medical care to Jews in the late 30s, but what really happened was that al the patients received sterilizing doses of X-Rays.

Odds are ironically that the staff in all these trucks were also sterilized from constant incremental marginal exposure.

5. Melakon

I've not had a heart attack yet either (knock on wood). But I did have some sort of stroke 10 years ago, I think the Grim Reaper might have been trying to get me then.

6. teacake

Having a heart attack is not an inevitable event like hair going grey.

7. Guy Gardener

Do you think of the reaper as a Hot lady or a crusty old guy?

There's some lines form a comic called Sandman (It's the War and Peace of comics), a wall fell over and this guy dies and Death, a hot goth-girl seemingly in her early 20s, comes to greet him and chat.

Dead Guy "Hey?! Did I do good? Did I do Good? I was alive for 20 thousand years, is that a record? Did I get more or less than most every one else?"

Death. "You got the same as everyone else honey: A life time."

8. Melakon

I visualize the Grim Reaper in the Ingmar Bergman/Woody Allen style, with the black robes, hood, skull face, and a scythe. I played one once in a college production.

My dad had a heart attack in his forties, and was taking nitroglycerine and digitalis, so I think I've been lucky. The only pill I pop is ibuprofen for pain.

I did have an ulcer at 40, but it had been a stressful year leading up to it, no problem like that since.

9. teacake

I assume you've had tests blah blah.. to know you don't need any drugs.

10. Melakon

I sometimes think I should be taking some sort of antidepressant, but I'm afraid to ask for it since it might dull my creativity. I'm home, alone except for a cat, about 23 hours a day.

11. Guy Gardener

I have the Seventh Seal somewhere, where/when did Woody play death?

Medical science should be able to keep ahead of your creaks and aches, as long as you persist in having no children.

You didn't stupidly agree to be anyone's godparent?

Actually.

Does godparentism kick in if Mom and dad live a long and healthy life and die in their 70s or 80s, and suddenly as god parent you have four 50something year old children depending on your for emotional support and christmas dinner?

There's a chance you might have been so drunk many times in your youth that you may have forgotten that you have agreed to be godparent to dozens of wayward brats.

Hopefully everyone else forgot as well.

12. Melakon

There's a Grim Reaper character in Allen's Love and Death I think, I only saw it when it first came out.

No close friends, so fortunately no godparent obligations. Forums are my social outlet. When I feel the need to talk to a live person, I walk to the store and say "thank you" after a purchase. I'm used to being alone, and the feeling of loneliness (too lazy to check spelling) has never been an issue. But I have to have a pet or I get stressed.

13. Guy Gardener

The love of a few bad women has taught me to revel as a hermit.

I'm 8 months away from the end of child support payments.

I'll be tap dancing come September. :)

14. Melakon

I got divorced in the 70s, and my last relationship was in the 90s. Now I'm too poor for a girlfriend.

And I've been awake for 24 hours, time for a nap.

15. Guy Gardener

In theory there are poor woman out there who are lonely.

Who also just want watch old movies and order in pizza.

Money shouldn't be an obstacle.

Oh.

That's another thing church is for.

Finding a partner.

What you're forgetting is that single women your age have each already buried a couple husbands they worked to death like dogs. So they don't need money and they're looking for a husband number three or four that will let them be in charge.

Are you willing to be a toyboy?

16. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

All this talk about grey hair and relationships and loneliness and creativity and such... What a thread to wake up to after dreams about my ex and my puppy and facing another day of feeling artistically empty while looking for work.

17. Guy Gardener

Buy some chalk from a two dollar shop.

There's pavement and roads almost everywhere there isn't grass or water.

The thread is called "Does it get better" how could it not eventually turn into this this?

18. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

I have a story about chalk and sidewalks actually...

This is our second separation. Don't know if we're getting back together this time but... during our first separation (before we lived together) I got some chalk and wrote "I love you" in her native language down the public sidewalk, all the way from her front door to the bus stop where she caught the bus for work.

19. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

What has happened to my thread!?

Getting back on track......

Life Line: Another TNG crossover!!! Barclay and Troi on Voyager again, woo hoo!!! Fanboy adoration aside, I thought this was a really cleverly written episode with some wonderful interplay between the Doctor and Zimmerman. There was plenty of humor, but also some really touching character moments. The Doctor's longing to be accepted and loved by his creator was moving.
    9/10

The Haunting of Deck Twelve: Filler and a plot full of cliches, but fun and entertaining nonetheless! Neelix was the perfect storyteller, and I loved seeing the Borg children's reactions! There was plenty of excitement to keep this one afloat.
    7/10

20. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dude, I've gotten to know you fairly well in the past and I think you'll have no trouble finding another(if you chose) to return your love. You're an awesome guy with allot to offer. You'd be a great blessing for any woman to have. I think she'll be back because I doubt she'll find many(if any) better than you, dude.:techman:
    It really shows how and why Neelix is great with children.
    It also shows great growth with his character.
    In "Elogium" he had doubts about being capable about being a parent and role model for a child. Between his time with Naomi and the Borg kids, he's really grown up and shown he has what it takes to be a good parent. Gone is the selfish, jealous person we saw in the first few seasons. Neelix has really grown up.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013