Which was the best homage to TOS

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Gotham Central, Jan 31, 2009.

?

Which was the best homage to TOS

1. TNG: Relics

8 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations

68 vote(s)
    76.4%
  3. Voyager: Flashback

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  4. Enterprise: In A Mirror Darkly

12 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Each of the spinoff Trek series did some kind of tribute to TOS. Which was the best/most memorable?

2. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations, without a doubt.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Trials and Tribble-ations
    In A Mirror, Darkly
    Relics

While the first three are entertaining... Flashback is just a huge turd.

4. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Trials and Tribble-ations, no contest.

IaMD is second, but I'd say there's a margin between them.

Relics is third by a larger margin.

Flashback was complete pony.

Okay, Relics had Scotty in the story, (which was cool) and recreated the bridge of the 1701 (which was also cool), but IaMD went further in its recreations of TOS (FOOD CUBES!) but T&T wins for the fact that they went back into an old episode. that's just too cool for school.

Flashback was dreck because while they had a hallucinatory trip back in time, a) it was a f*#%ing HALLUCINATION! and b) they got stuff wrong like killing of Valtane despite the fact that he's quite bloody clearly alive at the end of TUC on the sodding bridge of the Excelsior! oh, and c) it was the Movie Era, not TOS.

5. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Definitely not Flashback considering that Janeway went out of her way to criticize the way things were done during that time, despite the fact that she did similar things time and time again :rolleyes:

6. Piper

Piper Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Trials for me too, although Relics isn't THAT far behind it.

7. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Trials, because it was completely brilliant both as a tribute to TOS and as a DS9 romp.

8. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

T&T because it alluded to the mystery of the Klingon foreheads, it put DS9 crew into TOS uniforms and it fitted into just such an iconic episode made all the more iconic by their visit.

Hated Relics because in my opinion they just sent Mr Scotty off like a doddery old man. Liked that they brought Scotty into the TNG timeframe so he could work his miracles again but they managed to fumble his character.

Flashback was cool in that we got to catch a glimpse of the Exclesior and see Sulu as Captain but all of the above criticisms of it are just too true.

In a Mirror Darkly was a great tip of the hat but more so to the MU - although they did go the whole hog and change even the show opening credits for the episode. That in itself is an homage.

9. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Trials. For all that could be said to praise it... it was just fun.

IAMD was my Enterprise highlight. Partly because of the geek moments in it, partly because of Hoshi. But that was more fun to watch than Relics which, while I did enjoy it, the others had more entertainment value while revisiting things instead of saying goodbye to them.

Flashback... that was just bad.

10. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations the best DS9 episode ever.

11. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like most everyone else, T&T. But I have to give special mention for Relics. The holodeck scene was, IMHO, poignant and brilliant. There was a sense of loss that I feel really hit home.

12. Gotham Central

I think that it is a testament to the writers and production staff on DS9 that they managed to produce the most memorable anniversary episode. It was the folks working on Voyager that initially decided to do an anniversary episode. The folks working on DS9 were not even sure that they wanted to do one. Yet after brainstorming the concept, they came up with one of the most memorable episodes of modern trek. T&T also has the distinction of being the only modern Trek episode included on the DVD sets with the original series.

You can definately tell from the backstage interviews that the cast and crew had a blast making the episode and it shows on screen.

13. WHF

WHF Captain Captain

I think the best tribute to Star Trek was done on Futurama: Where No Fan Has Gone Before. You could really tell how much the writers loved TOS.

From this list I have to go with the majority and say DS9 did it the best.

14. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I was quite surprised at that, especially Terry Farrell. Maybe it was just not seeing/reading many interviews with her before, but I didn't expect her to be that enthusiastic.

I'm also really glad they ditched the second idea of the Star Trek fan planet. It might have been fun - but not as fun as having DS9 and TOS merge together like that.

Even a girl I'm dating who hates Star Trek watched it and loved it. Her thoughts were "Thats so weird... and awesome."

15. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Tough choice between TandT and IaMD...

But, in the end, I had to pick IaMD...the brightest spot of the only watchable season of Enterprise.

16. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

17. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

the ds9 one is the better homage to tos though i must admit iamd comes a close second

18. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Frankly, I surprised T&T only has 83% of the vote.

19. Gotham Central

Actually using Sigma Iotia as a "fan planet" seems to have its genesis in the "Worlds of the Federation" guide book from TNG. That book states that a Federation starship returned to Sigma Iotia years later and found a fully functional 23rd century style starbase.

20. Semah

Semah Commander Red Shirt

Ds9. By light years.