3D Bluray?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by TheCutestofBorg, Mar 21, 2013.

1. TheCutestofBorg

TheCutestofBorg Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can I watch a 3D Bluray on a regular HDTV? I know it wouldnt be 3D, but can I watch it like a regular HD BluRay movie?
    Reason I ask is, I want to buy the Hobbit on Blu-Ray. I dont own a 3D tv... But I plan on buying one this summer or fall. So I wanted to get a 3D copy. Then I could watch it in normal HD until I get a 3D TV with a 3D BluRay Player.

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All 3d Blu-ray releases also include the 2d version of the film. You're good.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Exactly.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

And a good job it is, as there's no reading a 3D blu disc without a 3D blu reader, period.

5. TheCutestofBorg

TheCutestofBorg Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thank you guyz, This will be my first 3D purchase. So I never really thought about it before.

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I only have DVDs, but I have noticed that blu-rays are sometimes cheaper and always have the DVD, so it makes it a better buy.

There seems to be three different releases...

DVD Only
    DVD, BluRay, Digital
    DVD, BluRay, Digital, 3D, Mega extra shit.

So if you buy the 3D one you get everything needed to watch it on the "lesser" formats.

8. Starbreaker

Out of my 100 or so Blu-rays, probably only 10 have the DVDs included. It is becoming a staple with blockbusters though.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, it seems like mostly only new releases have the DVD with them, old movies converted to BD don't usually have the DVD.

10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure any of the above posts clearly answered the question.

You cannot watch a 3D Blu Ray on an HDTV that doesn't specifically support 3D.

However, most (all?) Blu Ray sets that include a 3D copy of the movie also include a standard Blu Ray copy, and you shouldn't have any problems with that.

11. trekkier

trekkier Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

12. DonIago

From what it says at the link the device appears to only enable a 2D tv to display 3D content. It doesn't bypass the need for a 3D-enabled player.

13. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

3D Blu-ray players aren't expensive anymore. If it's necessary to use that to convert 3D to 2D while you still have a 2D set, that seems to be the path of least resistance, assuming the movie doesn't ship a 2D blu-ray with it (many do, as the cost of making extra discs is so minimal).

14. DonIago

If I read correctly that device doesn't convert 3D->2D, but rather enables viewing of 3D Blu Rays on a 2D tv if you have a 3D player.

In other words, if you have a 3D player and a tv that you love but that doesn't do 3D, the device may be worthwhile. If you don't have a 3D player you'll still need to upgrade. If you're planning to buy a new tv anyway, you should consider how much extra 3D may cost.

15. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Shouldn't it be 4D?

16. Starbreaker

The device bypasses the need for a 3DTV. You can watch 3D channels/games, but if you're going to play a 3D Blu-ray, you need something capable of playing that.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've had a 3D player and TV for better than a year now and have never watched a 3D movie on it. My daughter used it for 3D once to watch Prometheus.

18. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be honest, when I upgrade my TV, I would rather spend the money on a bigger screen than 3D.