I rarely rewatch the movies, but watch the eps again and again.

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by plynch, Apr 30, 2010.

1. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just realize I'm always opening up a good ol' plastic clamshell case to bust out a Star Trek episode (unremastered, thank you very much) that I've seen a million times.

But I rarely rewatch the movies. Like never. I wonder why. I like em fine and actually think TWOK is a great movie in general that belongs in the rank just below the Godfathers, Kane and Grapes O' Wrath. BUT . . .

Anyone else way skewed towards the tv eps and not the movies? Or vice versa?

2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

With the sole exception of 2009, which got me more interested in the movies because of ST XI, I've always been more interested in the series. I re-watched ST I-VI (and the TNG movies) last year but I hadn't seen most of them for almost 10 years prior.

I think the proof is in the FAQs I wrote. I had an easy time writing the TOS FAQ but needed a tremendous amount of help with the Movie FAQ, to put it into an understatement. I'm just not an aficionado of the films the way a lot of others are.

3. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I watch the show and the movies about the same amount. I watch TAS least of all. Don't know why. I love it. I guess I'm just used to not watching it. I guess I'll fire up the old DVD player and watch TAS right now. :)

4. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I like both, but I prefer the episodes and tend to watch them more.

5. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

I gravitate towards the TOS Films, myself. Love the music, and can even have them on in the background while I'm doing stuff around the apartment.

6. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I watch both pretty equally but there are times when I may watch the movies just a little more. TOS remastered for me only. :)

7. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    I used to have a copy of TWOK I recorded off ABC back in the 80's. Pan and scan, full of commercials, but with the added footage and lines. I wore that thing to pieces playing it over and over. I used to rent the other movies on VHS over and over before finally getting my own VHS copies, which I watched over and over... *

These days though, it's eps. Being married, having a job, having a kid, it's just easier to squeeze in a 45 minute ep. We're currently doing a TNG rewatch, so lately my answer has to be eps.

*As much as I watched the Trek movies on tape back in the day, I used to do the Star Wars trilogy probably twice as much. Like, a couple of times a month for stretches at a time.

8. Tan Ru

Tan Ru Captain Captain

Same here.

I know the TOS episodes very well through repeated viewing over the years but the TOS movies always seem new to me. The rare times that I do view one of my movie DVD's I hear dialog or see things in the background that I never noticed before.

The films just don't hold my attention like the TV episodes did/do.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I used to watch the films much more often, but I've enjoyed going back to Star Trek much more lately, many episodes of which I haven't seen in years.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

There is simply more good stuff throughout the episodes. You've got 79 episodes to choose from versus six (or seven) films.

11. plynch

And maybe success rate among the eps is higher than the films? I guess that would be purely subjective, but TMP is what it is (good but flawed), 3 is filler, 5 no comment necessary, and 6 I'm liking less as I think about it more, due to its militaristic reboot of Starfleet. Maybe there are only two, like really GOOD ones to me (2 and 4). Hmm. Got me thinkin'.

Maybe it's just that whole '60s technicolor adventure vibe in the series too.

12. buckeyenation

buckeyenation Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Agreed. There seems to be too much liberty taken with with things, especially in the original series cast movies. Almost like it's not real Trek.

13. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    They played fast and loose with the Trek "universe" during the original series- the series is just better and more entertaining than the films (on average).

14. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

Agreed. Mainly because of the latitude provided to a series as opposed to a costly feature film.:shrug:

15. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Yes, I prefer the TV episodes. The older I get, the less I like most of the movies.

I must say, though, as a veritable Star Trek original series purist and longtime fan, I think you're seriously missing out by dismissing the HD remasters. They are glorious. The original series has never looked better.

Anyway... :)

The series feels more like the future to me than the movies. The movies feel more contemporary. I get a greater sense of wonder and excitement from the series than I do from the movies.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This is a good point. Sometimes in the films one gets a sense that a contemporary sensibility is snuck in as something of an injoke with the audience. Tough to put my finger on it, but it's there.

17. plynch

Honestly, the DVDs look just fine. I'm happy. Except for the packaging! Ha - nitpick, nitpick . . .

No, really, they look just fine.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I thought the same thing until I watched The Corbomite Maneuver on Blu-ray in 1080p (40 inch screen). :techman:

19. plynch

Okay, I'm curious. It wouldn't do anything on my t.v., though. 1990s era big glass tube. My blu-ray player won't play Trek discs, either. Cuz i don't have one. Bwa ha. Maybe I'll see one on a friend's tv someday. I'm pretty retro. No cell. No cable/dish. Trek on dvd is as far as I've gotten. Oh, and obviously the internet. On a 2001 laptop. It's all good.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I've seen STII more than any other movie on the planet over the years...has to be 50+ times...however, I've seen some episodes more than that.

RAMA