Embarassing moments during good episodes

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by TOSalltheway, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

In the episode "The Squire of Gothos," DeForest Kelley refers to a secondary character as "Jaeger," with a hard "J" sound. Everyone else in the episode pronounces it like "Yeager."

And in "Balance of Terror," in at least one scene, Kelley (again) pronounces the name of the commander of the Fesarius, Balok, as something like "Baal-lik," while everyone else pronounces it "Bay-lock."

Now, neither of these are embarassing, just curious. What happened? Production pressures cutting into rehearsal time? :D

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, Kelley did have such a hard time pronouncing "gumato" for "A Private Little War" that it was changed to "mugatu" during production.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Kirk's dialogue is specifically referencing a sea voyage (not a space voyage), so it seems fine for what it is...probably a historical reference on his part (he was something of a history/antiquities buff), but it's possible that Earth and/or other worlds in the 23rd century have "old-style" sea voyages as a tourist attraction.

4. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He did it in the movies, too, Skipper. Mount "Suh-LEE-uh" instead of "Seh-LAY-Ah", for instance.

And it was "BAH-lock". ;)

5. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think so, but there were definitely similar scenes.

And in "Journey to Babel":

Amanda: Well, he did have a pet (SAY-lot) he was very fond of.
    McCoy: (Sellut)?​

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yep, works for me.

7. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gamesters of Triskelion, Shatner flubs a line and it went through:

"What's happening to Lt. You-Hear-Ra?"

Pretty much anything Yeoman Mears says in Galileo Seven makes me cringe ("Oh...it's getting hotttt!" "We could use a little inspiration!" "I got a little bump on the head." Geeeeez).

And having Yeoman Zahra point out the aliens in Operation--Annihilate! don't look real just reinforced that they, well, didn't look real.

Corbomite Maneuver, actually. :)

8. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well Deforest was from the South and had an accent. He lost most of it but some of it slipped through. He couldn't say nuclear either.

But hey McCoy was from the South too so it fits with his character. ;)

9. The Old Mixer

It always seems odd when a character pronounces a name differently than the other characters, when in-story, it's a name that he would have only heard from the others, and not read.

10. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

To me, the way he pronounced it sounded as if it rhymed with "phallic."

Of course, in RL, the actor may have seen the name typewritten in the script pages but not yet heard it pronounced. That doesn't explain, however, McCoy's mispronunciation of "sehlat" immediately after Amanda says it in the same scene!

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Catpaw, the scene where Jackson topples off the transporter platform. He doesn't collapse to the floor, he falls over like a tree and hits the floor hard.

:)

12. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

That was a great fall actually, because stuntman Jay Jones (credited as Jimmy Jones) didn't appear to break the fall with his hands. It was his first stunt for the series.

13. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

14. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am now starting to be embarrassed by this thread. :lol:

15. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be fair to Kelley, though, his line and Jane Wyatt's were both close-ups, so he may not have heard the line from the other set-up.

16. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I love that scene as well. Those type of comments from Kirk helped make him my favorite hero character.

17. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Very true. I'm from the south as well. Born and raised in north east Georgia. I never noticed anything odd about McCoy's pronouncing those are any other words, until I read about it in this thread.

18. The Old Mixer

The real-world reason for the alternate pronunciations was obvious enough, but as there wasn't such a reason in-story, it was something that tended to take me out of the episode a little when it happened.

19. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

You got it all wrong!

He was attempting a Vulcan mind meld with the vampire cloud. :p

But lousy stuntmen? I think the worst offender is the Gideonite guard knocked "out" by Spock in "The Mark of Gideon".

Bob

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

In "Space Seed", Khan forces the door to his quarters open and attacks the guard outside the door. The stuntman does a great backflip across the corridor into a bulkhead, but his pants split along the inseam and his long underwear is exposed.

Not exactly embarrassing for me, but maybe for the guard.