The ENT and Melakon

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Melakon, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Believe me, it was torturous watching it three or four times for the review.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Acquisition is an enjoyable romp.. you get the Ferengi who are one of my favorite races and you get Trip in his underwear. You get evidence of Starfleet's bad book keeping too. I have no problem with the Ferengi being, well, anywhere because we've seen the lengths they will go to attain profit, even wanting to remain marooned 70 light years away from their home to keep the profit coming.

Oasis shocked me that they used Rene to retell a story he was already in. A typical Trek story whose rehash was made worse because of rehashing the actual actor.

3. Melakon

This is why I tend to single out Berman regarding Enterprise's weak spots. He was alongside Roddenberry at the beginning of TNG, and should have been aware of putting a high profile guest in a less than mediocre episode. He deserves credit for keeping the franchise running as long as he did, but he just wasn't a writer. And he wasn't a critical enough of a producer to recognize when his own stories were crap.

4. Melakon

1:21 - Detained

TV Blurb: Sam leaps into a starship captain trapped in a concentration camp, and his interrogator looks just like Al.

Archer and Mayweather are imprisoned "for their own protection" with Suliban inmates who are not part of the Cabal. Teleplay by Mike Sussman & Phyllis Strong; Story by Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. Directed by David Livingston.

I never watched Quantum Leap as the premise didn't interest me, so I miss the nostalgia aspect of this episode. But by the time of Enterprise, I already knew of Scott Bakula and particularly guest Dean Stockwell's work through other productions. I had seen some of Stockwell's films from when he was a child, like The Green Years, The Boy With Green Hair, The Happy Years, and from his later tv and film work, including an especially memorable performance crooning into a worklamp in Blue Velvet. So even as a non QL fan, it's fun to see these two guys working together.

Travis gets some good scenes involving racism and prejudice mostly in scenes with Vorta vet Christopher Shea as a pessimistic Suliban prisoner. Another Vorta vet, Dennis Christopher, becomes Archer's Suliban ally in planning an escape. David Kagen is effective as the sadistic guard that usually shows up in prison movies.

The story draws attention to the internment of Japanese-Americans into euphemistic relocation camps during WWII. This event was so glossed over in American history texts when I was in high school (late 1960s), it was a genuine shock to me when I saw the 1976 television film "Farewell to Manzanar". Mike Sussman is on record (at Memory Alpha) as not fully comfortable with the morality play aspect of the episode, and I understand his concerns. But if news of Manzanar surprised me 30 years after the fact, I think it's a story that needs to be told and must be told, so that all of us remember.

Next: Vox Sola

5. Melakon

1:22 - Vox Sola

TV Blurb: Hoshi has another translating Fail, Travis is a better diplomat than Archer, Trip and Archer get all wrapped up in the problem of the week.

An alien lifeform stowaway takes over the cargo bay, engulfing members of the crew, as Hoshi tries to find a way to communicate with it. Teleplay by Fred Dekker; Story by Rick Berman & Brannon Braga & Fred Dekker. Directed by Roxann Dawson.

Another ship show, with minimal extra sets but a lot of CGI work, stage dressing, and actor costumes representing the creature. There are a few creepy moments in the cargo bay scenes, though the story mostly deals with Hoshi, T'Pol, Reed, and Phlox searching for solutions after Archer and Trip are incapacitated. Travis gets only one or two good scenes.

Connor Trinneer does a good job of writhing in agony.
    Breezy plays Porthos.

The episode is slow and ponderous to watch with few real highlights. The text commentary by Mike & Denise Okuda points out a glaring weakness in the plot during the teaser, regarding how the creature manages to get aboard.

Next: "Fallen Hero"

6. Melakon

1:23 - Fallen Hero

TV Blurb: T'Pol talks sex, Tucker goes Hawaiian, Hoshi goes without.

A planetary government expels a Vulcan diplomat, and Enterprise is ordered to get her to a safe location. Teleplay by Alan Cross; Story by Rick Berman & Brannon Braga & Chris Black. Directed by Patrick Norris.

Trekvet Fionnula Flanagan appears as V'Lar, one of T'Pol's personal heroes. Flanagan had previously appeared as Curzon Dax's bedroom alibi, and as Data's "mother".

I was a little disappointed with this one due to the story's primary focus on the guest star. Flanagan does a terrific job as usual though, with V'Lar's behavior surprising everyone including T'Pol. There are a few scenes for the regular characters, with T'Pol being one of the linchpins.

I'm somewhat surprised that Hoshi is asked to make a sacrifice that T'Pol didn't consider doing herself, in terms of offering her quarters for V'Lar's use. It's especially troubling due to T'Pol's reaction after the quarters have been vacated. She's like a little martinet (martinette?) bossing everyone around to be on their best behavior.

There's a nice look at a Vulcan combat cruiser, the Sh'Raan. Sh'Raan. Shran. With four writers, can't they be more imaginative?!

On a "historical" note, the Vulcan salute first appears.

Next: "Desert Crossing"

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a good episode. V'Lar seems mostly free of Evil Vulcan Syndrome. She should've been Ambassador to Earth instead of Soval really. It's... logical... to respect the local customs about politeness isn't it?

As for the Vulcan ship? Good catch though. I'm sure Shran would tell you they named the ship after him because he's so awesome. ;)

As for the Vulcan Salute? That was used right away when they landed on Earth and met Cochrane so... no "first" there.

8. Melakon

Well, I meant first time in the series. Mea culpa. ;) Mea Culpa would be a good name for an actress.

9. teacake

V'Lar kind of annoyed me most of the time. She failed to ring my older women bells.

10. Melakon

I think maybe I did like Flanagan's earlier appearances better.

1:24 - Desert Crossing

TV Blurb: Archer and Trip take off their shirts and play some games, getting hot and sweaty.

Archer finds his reputation precedes him when charismatic tribal leader Zobral invites him to his camp, but doesn't reveal his motives until after arrival. Teleplay by Andre Bormanis; Story by Rick Berman & Brannon Braga & Andre Bormanis. Directed by David Straiton.

A good character study of Archer and Tucker's friendship. For beefcake fans, there's a shirts vs. skins game similar to lacrosse.

Due to the desert setting, costuming, and Zobral's agenda, it's easy to interpret his situation as similar to the political environment in the Middle East. I hope the story is more complicated than that, and that I'm missing something.

I was pleased to see guest star Clancy Brown, I've been a fan of his work since the early days of his career.

Next: "Two Days and Two Nights"

11. R. Star

I always got the impression this episode was written on the premise of... what can we do to have Archer and Tucker nearly naked for the whole episode?

12. Melakon

Yeah, that's probably it. Enterprise rarely did any shows with real subtext, everything's right on the surface.

13. bluedana

bluedana Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of the many things I liked about Desert Crossing was the theme of unintended consequences, held over from Detained. Nice to know that at least some of the Suliban escaped and survived to tell the story of Archer's assistance.

14. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

i liked that too. something that crops up within enterprise from time to time. the point i see beyond yeah the semi naked archer and trip good ness.:devil:
    though one wonder where the cautionary trip went in a later episode. they really didnt have time to learn what was really going on with the conflict.

15. Melakon

I would have liked to see Clancy Brown return as that guy, just to see whether he was captured or victorious, and if it changed him.

1:25 - Two Days and Two Nights

TV Blurb: Archer gets prone, Hoshi gets lucky, Trip and Malcolm get screwed.

Enterprise finally reaches Risa, the crew take shore leave, but not everyone they meet is what they seem. Teleplay by Chris Black; Story by Rick Berman & Brannon Braga. Directed by Michael Dorn.

An interesting series of character vignettes with romance, comedy, and drama, impressively directed by Michael Dorn.
    Even Porthos gets to be more than a live prop.

Dey Young guest stars, and I always liked when they cast women near Scott Bakula's own age as Archer's romantic possibilities, rather than people twenty years younger.

This was Kellie Waymire's final appearance in Star Trek, and she gets a nice scene with T'Pol and Cutler trying to wake a hibernating Phlox.
    [​IMG]
    Jolene Blalock after blowing a take, from the bloopers.

Next: "Shockwave"

16. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

Desert Crossing looked fantastic, so at least there's that.

17. R. Star

Actually I'd say Two Days and Two Nights was the best of all the Risa episodes. Not that any of the previous ones set a particularly high bar, but this didn't try to be something it wasn't. It was just goofy fun with the fish out of water element.

18. Melakon

It felt like Hoshi's boyfriend had probably used his routine hundreds of times, and Hoshi knows it, but the scenes are done so well that you never dislike the guy.

19. teacake

The place looked decent and not like some kind of swinger's club from a crappy movie. Definitely the best Risa ep.

It also cracks me up that they have a Chinese Crested as an alien dog. And T'Pol's light reading gift to Archer, :lol:

And Phlox!

20. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

I, too, liked Archer getting a female possible romantic interest who was actually within spitting distance of Bakula's age. What a concept - a woman with a line or two on her face who was, I dunno, sexy.