Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

just out of interest i've got my other pc up and running and was wondering if it's possible to move my world to that pc or are they stuck on the pc they were crated on if they can be moved any pointers on what folder to look in?

2. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Go in the start menu, select "Run," and type in "%appdata%". The first folder you see in there will probably be ".minecraft". Open it, look for the saves folder, and then you'll see each of your worlds. All you have to do is copy and paste them into the equivalent folder on another machine, and you'll be able to play them.

3. judge alba

excellent thanks

4. Jadzia

Jadzia on holiday Premium Member

Are you able to edit the textures? Is it just a bitmap? If so, you could replace the glass texture with one of your choosing.

5. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Any time. :)

6. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't know how to or how I'd even begin to undertake that. It seems a bit more complicated than just throwing a different bitmap on there.

7. Jadzia

I've downloaded the texture pack, and it is just a picture in a zip archive. So it should be easy to change the textures to anything you please. I shall try making a glass texture.

8. Owain Taggart

If you can, that would be great :)

9. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes you can actually. I've made lots of mixing and matching with parts of my texturepack. Just load it into a drawing program, paste in the panels you want to change, save it as an interlaced .png file to preserve the transparency, then plug it back into the minecraft.jar directory.

10. Jadzia

I don't think my graphics editor likes transparent png. I give up with this one. :(

11. Owain Taggart

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  12. Cutter John

Sure if you guys want to IM me, we could exchange e-mails and you can send me your files.

Just changed my sun and moon.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  13. Owain Taggart

That's no moon! It's a space-station ;) Looks awesome, Cutter.

14. Cutter John

Aww, thanks guys. Changing out stuff like the moon and sun are easy. Just switch out game images with ones the same size, name, and resolution as your current ones. Might be good practice if you're new to messing with textures.

Funny you should mention that...

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1021&t=16938&start=120

About halfway down.

15. Owain Taggart

Hmmm, seems people are getting viruses and trojans from downloading from mediafire which a lot of texturepack makers use. I'd stay away from that site and be careful about downloading anything there. Unfortunately the texture pack I use is downloaded from there, but I scanned it and it didn't come up with anything.

16. Jadzia

I don't know if viruses can be embedded in a png.

I did think that 4.4MB was quite big for a png, but I'm guessing that the 8-bit alpha channel is not being compressed, as that would account for 4MB. The remaining 0.4MB sounds reasonable for a 24-bit png that size.

17. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Well, people shouldn't distribute texture packs in an executable form, anyway. Should always be a ZIP file as that's what Minecraft is compatible with. I think some might distribute as .exe files, which of course could do anything.

18. Owain Taggart

That's true, Jadzia, although they are distributed by zip files. People are saying though that they're getting piggybacked. Don't know the logistics of that though. I have Noscript installed and didn't see anything malicious, though some are reporting of ads hijacking buttons.

19. judge alba

how do i make a portal? is is just an arch of 7 obsidean blocks? and how do i switch it on?

20. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

It must be made of obsidian with a central opening of 3 blocks high by 2 blocks wide. This means the full frame must be 5 blocks high and 4 blocks wide. And yes, you have to do the whole frame--not an arch. You can literally cut the corners, though, and that will work.

Ignite it with flint and steel.