FedCon 2014, Star Trek Phase II and Axanar Panel Videos

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by startrekphase2, Jul 17, 2014.

1. startrekphase2

startrekphase2 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

[​IMG]

We had filming rights and I am pleased to present our HD videos of the Star Trek Phase II and Axanar panels in full length.

They can be seen in this YouTube playlist:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5h4ur_aSq8NeUDLXtd3kfXnUCx72hatV

The playlist includes the following:
    FedCon 2014 - Press Conference / Pressekonferenz - HD
    - The entire FedCon 2014 press conference from May 29, 2014 in Düsseldorf, Germany.

The following guest stars attended the press conference (from left to right): Nessi (MoC), Richard Arnold, David Gerrold, Garrett Wang, Nana Visitor, Nichelle Nichols, Amanda Tapping, Richard Dean Anderson, Suanne Braun, Natasha Henstridge, Bai Ling, Max Grodénchik, Barry Jenner and Larry Nemecke.

FedCon 2014 - David Gerrold and Larry Nemecek Interview after Press Conference
    - Impromptu interviews after the press conference

FedCon 2014 - Star Trek Phase II Panel
    - With David Gerrold, Alec Peters and Tobias Richter

FedCon 2014 - Star Trek: Axanar, Panel 1 of 2
    - The first of two fascinating Axanar panels featuring David Gerrold, Alec Peters and Tobias Richter

FedCon 2014 - David Gerrold, Star Trek Phase II Panel
    - David Gerrold by himself talking about Star Trek in general, Phase II and the TNG Blu-Ray project.

FedCon 2014 - Star Trek: Axanar, Panel 2 of 2
    - This second Axanar panel had a much larger audience and offers some fascinating insights into the Axanar project.

FedCon 2014 - Visual Effects of Star Trek Renegades, Phase II and Axanar
    - This panel, by Tobias Richter, looks into the visual effects work he did for three fan-film productions.

If YouTube does not work for you, the videos can also be seen on our website:
    http://www.startrekphase2.de/fc2014

Enjoy

Peter Walker
    www.startrekphase2.de
    www.startrekaxanar.eu

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  2. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for posting those. I watched a few of these already and there's some interesting stuff.

Although, I strongly disagree with David Gerrold's assertion that only him and D.C. Fontana are the only ones who really know how to write "Star Trek." Granted, both Gerrold and Fontana have the most intimate knowledge — yet, if you're a decent writer and you understand the format, you can write a pretty darn good Trek story.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Gerrold has more credits on Trek than Norman Spinrad, but given the latter wrote "The Doomsday Machine" I'd say he knows how to write Trek at least as well as Gerrold. YMMV.

4. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Exactly so.

None of Gerrold's or Fontana's shows are in my top twenty favorites, so...

5. Ryan Thomas Riddle

I should've clarified a bit — Gerrold did say he and Fontana were the only ones currently left who know how to write "Star Trek." Because Spinrad isn't around anymo— oh, wait.

Joking aside, "Blood and Fire" (PII version) demonstrated that Gerrold doesn't have the strongest grasp on the material, particularly the character of Kirk.

6. startrekphase2

startrekphase2 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

You are not quoting him correctly.
    http://youtu.be/8h6Q6gRBcqA?t=9m8s

He said: "I think there are probably only two people in the world left, who understand how to write for the original Star Trek, and the other one is Dorothy Fontana."

So for one thing he is only referring to TOS, not the other Star Trek series and he says this based on his intimate knowledge of the series as he was involved with it when it was made.
    That does not exclude others from being able to write good TOS stories, but they do not have the intimate knowledge of how stories were put together back then. I feel he is making a legitimate point.

Personally, I agree that there are others, including Norman Spinrad, who are very capable of writing good stories. I did however feel that David should be seen for what he did say and not be misquoted.

Regards

Peter

7. Ryan Thomas Riddle

You're right I wasn't directly quoting him. I was paraphrasing what he said. And I did so accurately — stating that him and Fontana are the only one's who know how to write "Star Trek". So I was not misquoting him.

Frankly, even in his direct quote, the inference — also by his tone in the presentation — is that those two were the only ones able to write Trek properly. Also, I don't often use the subtitle of TOS or put the modifier of "original" in front of "Star Trek." When I refer to "Star Trek," I mean the original because that's what it was titled. Could've been more explicit, sure. I didn't feel it necessary to do so.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  8. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I'd love to see that demonstrated in the upcoming PII episodes.

9. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

+1

Gerrold has always been an egotistical blowhard and one-hit wonder. I am eagerly awaiting the day I can eat my own words on this, but he keeps letting me down. :(

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Well, I was never taken by his Trek stuff, but I really liked The Man Who Folded Himself back in the day.

11. Ryan Thomas Riddle

I really enjoyed "The Martian Child," but that was more of a semi-autobiography about the adoption of his son. I also thought the novel version of Blood and Fire was much better with more tension than the PII version of the story.

12. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

IIRC, Carlos Pedraza wrote the teleplay for Blood and Fire. I believe David made some edits, but I don't know who was responsible for exactly what.

13. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Nick, do you know what Carlos is up to these days? I have been wondering what he has been doing after HF.

14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

That would be refreshing.

15. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Are there any download for these videos? I often cannot get a good enough connection for smooth streaming.

16. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

He's been working with JT writing and producing independent films. They're doing pretty well.

http://blueseraph.com/

17. tobiasrichter

tobiasrichter Lieutenant Red Shirt

On the occasions where I worked with Mr. Gerrold I have found him to be very intelligent, funny and a joy to work with.

Insulting anyone personally, no matter who he is, is or should be forbidden on this board.

18. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

I'm pretty sure that both Norman Spinrad and George Clayton Johnson would strongly disagree with Mr. Gerrold. Both have approached Phase II about filming their scripts, but CBS nixed them because CBS owns those scripts and wanted to keep them available to use as plots for Pine/Quinto Trek.

(and, yes, I was involved personally with those "negotiations" between P2 and the authors, and CBS, so it's a statement of fact.)

19. RCAM

RCAM Commander Red Shirt

I must agree. "Blood and Fire" is among Phase II's weakest efforts (the idea that there was just too much good material to fit into a single episode is... amusing).

20. Ryan Thomas Riddle

There's good stuff in the concept of "Blood and Fire", but the allegory is a bit out of date and could've used an update.

After waiting for years for a gay relationship in Trek, we're given something that is treated on a pedestal and not as a real relationship with all the complications and ugliness that entails. It's almost too perfect and comes across as something that would've fit within the 90s television notions of gay relationships.

The tension between the captain and the crew is brushed aside with Gerrold's ludicrous "band of brothers" familial ideal of the Trek crew. They're professionals, not a family, doing a job. Sure they like and respect each other, but they don't always see eye-to-eye. Uhura's statement that Kirk wouldn't put them in danger is antithetical to the actual show and the events in "Blood and Fire." Kirk was always putting the ship in danger — has been since WNMHGB. That's his job. After all, "risk is our business." Of course, Kirk is putting the ship in danger in B&F. Would've been nice had there been more objection, particularly from McCoy.

Other than lip service, we never get the sense that anything is at stake for Kirk — we never feel the weight of command upon him. In Gerrold's novel, it's made clear that the captain is committing career seppuku. And there's a wonderful moment where the Morethan character (Worf substitute) objects to what the captain is doing. It's a good ol' fashioned Mexican standoff. In the PII version, it's this jingoistic moment: "No, sir, you're Captain Kirk and can't do any wrong." It felt almost as if it was out of late-TNG, not TOS.

And the Klingons contribute NOTHING to the story, not even tension. They watch TV basically. They're also there for a battle that has no consequence, except as an excuse to damage the Big E in the beginning so as to ... I dunno what to the story. It never really plays out. You could've had tension and drama without them even being in it.

So much potential. Most of it wasted in that story. The novel, like I said, was so much better. I was engaged, anxious and couldn't stop reading. I wished they'd used that more as the template for the episode.