Bashir as James Bond

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Captain Kathryn, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Just watched this episode for the first time, "Our Man Bashir", and thought it was hilarious! Even James Bond and Julian Bashir's initials match which makes it even more funny. And then Garak is there with him hahahaha.

Is this one of those episodes that people love/hate?

Anyway I love it! I think it's awesome. :lol:
    I think this was probably my favorite Bashir episode so far and it was a nice change of scenery and pace from the average Trek episodes.

I thought I would have gotten sick of hologram episodes from watching so much Voyager, but this one was really good! And it showed Bashir to be more clever and cunning than he is usually depicted. He did manage to keep everyone alive long enough to enable them to beam the physical patterns of the missing crew members out of there.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I usually give DS9 a pass on holodeck episodes because they don't do it near as often as TNG or VOY. Guess there's something to be said about Quark charging to use the holosuites.

As for this one? Yeah not much middle ground. People either love it or hate it. Both for the holodeck element and the Bond element. I personally liked it at thought it was good fun. Even with the holodeck silliness there was wonderful character interaction between Garak and Bashir. Not to mention Garak was hilarious in his mocking of Bashir. "Why I'd shoot me with a champagne bottle!" "Obviously I worked for the wrong intelligence service!" Not to mention it was funny how Bashir ripped off Garak's speech about being a real spy and having to make tough decisions.

Everyone really gave their best effort in this one. To Eddington's attitude being "Why do I have to put up with this crap?" Quark and Rom having to fix the problem. Even Odo's getting in the way pretending to be useful was good. Kira though really through herself into that role as the Russian colonel and deserves props along with Avery Brooks. That man would make a great Bond villain! And alas, O'brien Must Suffer(TM) even in holodeck episodes as he's the lackey who gets beaten like a drum again and again!

3. Captain Kathryn

I love any episode with Garak (seriously, any), but this one he had particularly funny lines. I really really wish he had been made part of the regular cast. I mean it's a special treat when he's on, but I would have loved it if he was a regular like Quark and the others.

Also you mentioned Rom... after watching the last few episodes, the beginning of season 4, I feel really bad for Rom. He obviously has the capability of being an engineer. Quark relies on him heavily for pretty much all mechanical work and yet he continually calls his brother stupid...

I love Quark regardless, but seriously... Rom isn't stupid. He even tells Quark he's not stupid in one of the previous Season 4 episodes.

4. R. Star

Rom is smart... he's just dense and naive as all heck. Nog not wanting to end up like him made perfect sense. But despite it all Quark does care for his brother. This shines through often enough and Rom gets a few snippets to rise to greatness in the next three seasons. I still scratch my head at how his character arc ended but... I guess that was the point. You'll see. :p

As for Garak. Well, he's in more episodes than Jake for sure. In seasons 5-7, he's literally in the majority of the episodes too minus the filler ones really.

5. Captain Kathryn

Yay! I have a lot of Garak to look forward to then. Even though he's not a regular-regular, I think he is definitely my favorite DS9 character so far. Odo and Quark coming up second. Although I like them all.

6. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

This ep is one of my absolute favorites from the "Jadzia" years. Julian makes an excellent Bond-type--so much so, that I really wish Alex Siddig would make an appearance in a future Bond film. He certainly has a "Pierce Brosnan" air and feel about him, in particular.

BTW...
    FWIW, there was a discussion on this board, some time back, to the effect that this ep could well be seen as Bashir seeking an outlet for his genetically-enhanced talents, prior to his "reveal". I know, retroactive...but it certainly does make sense, as anyone hearing about his immensely talented deeds in the program would shrug it off as tongue-in-cheek. But here, he faces challenges for his intellect to face--and no one is the wiser.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  7. R. Star

^
    Might wanna toss some spoiler tags around that comment about Bashir. Captain Kathryn is watching through for the first time.

Though I do agree about that being an outlet for him in retrospect. Though certainly it wasn't planned that way at the time, it makes sense.

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I have trouble imagining Bashir strangling a topless woman with her own bikini top in order to obtain information.

Bashir just isn't credible as James Bond.

:)

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Sean Connery did the same thing during the pre-title sequence in Diamonds Are Forever. "There's something I'd like you to get off your chest."

And the Bond people should have hired Sid.

10. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

I see Rom as the type of person that wants to please everyone (probably because he's just so awkward). If it pleases his brother that he's an idiot, he'll play the fool. If it pleases the Nagus to pull Nog out of school, that's what he'll do. If it pleases Moogie that he be a feminist, he'll be a feminist (she's the one he wants to please the most). It's due to the example of Nog, and the others on the station, that he learns that's not all there is to life - he can please himself, too.

Nog is a lot like his father that way, but with one key difference - he wants to impress others, not just please them. It starts out with petty crime and stuff, because kids are dumb, but we know how he ends up.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

At first I thought this thread was going to suggest that Siddig actually play Bond himself, for real. Which would be kind of cool, actually...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  12. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I think Captain Kathryn is on a first watch, so you might have just spoiled something.

13. Captain Kathryn

Yeah I'm watching for the first time, but I look ahead all the time and spoil myself haha. No worries!

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Captain Kathryn

It was okay though... no harm done. :D

16. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Probably DS9's funniest episode.

Siddig may not pass as Bond but he passes really well as a smart guy who wishes he was Bond. And the ending is flat out hilarious.

17. Captain Kathryn

They could have played it so Bashir didn't know what the heck he was doing and Garak saved the day. I was surprised they didn't go for the young, bumbling Bashir type from Season 1. I'm glad they didn't though, I thought he was awesome.