JES's Miscellaneous Artwork Design Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by JES, Jun 7, 2011.

1. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is where I'm going to put stuff that isn't worthy of it's own thread, doesn't have a class name, or otherwise doesn't seem likely to illicit over a pages worth of discussion on their own. Chances has it that designs that do get a class name will later be transferred into their own thread.

Any how, to start, I'm posing this concept sketch work I had for an alternative Excelsior shuttlebay for archival purposes:[​IMG]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/40445677@N06/5574230688/in/photostream/

I will probably use design elements of the shuttlebay later on for something else.

Next is some sketch work of some ideas I had for Ihlecreation's Cetea class: [​IMG]

My idea behind this one was to make both sections look good while separated. Instead of mounting the ring by it's top, I wanted to mount it more by the center. This sort of draws a little inspiration from Vulcan ships and their ring-shaped warp drives. The idea is that the two sections separate by sliding off one another, similar to how a ring slips off a finger. The engineering section is supposed to have concealed structures underneath, similar to most ships that separate, and the ring is supposed to blend in seamlessly with the hull and deflector grid when docked.

Finally, my vision of what the replacement for the Steamrunner might have looked like, if not for the Zephyr class taking that role.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/40445677@N06/5809688340/in/photostream

The design draws a little bit of inspiration from the Ferrus class, and the nacelle caps are based a little off of the Century and Perception, since that is the time frame I imagined for this class.

I have to go for now, so chances has it that I'll come back and edit this post with further commentary, and also post my concepts for the Cetea class in the Design the Next Enterprise thread. For now, feel free to look and comment!:)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. jerriecan

jerriecan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Really like the Excelsior stuff - like giving the ship a stinger. :) Nice work!

3. JES

I never really thought about that before, but now that I think of it, I sort of see the resemblance.:)

4. JES

No, this is not an entry for the current contest...

Though I wish it were, however, when I first saw what this month's contest was, it was already past the 10th, and well, I'm not very skilled at Illustrator, so I figured I probably wouldn't make the deadline anyhow. However, as the entries rolled in, I was inspired to at least further develop this design I've had in my head for a while, if only for the purpose of some sort of "commemoration", or simply finally getting the darn thing posted.

Anyhow, the basic idea started with basing a shuttle design on the Starfleet insignia.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/40445677@N06/5995452638/in/photostream

This one, I came up with quite a while ago. I'm not satisfied with how the pylons look as they sweep down, so if/when I develop this design further as a shuttlepod, I will either sweep the pylons upwards, or even think about integrating them outright.

[​IMG]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/40445677@N06/5994900613/in/photostream/
    This one, I also started a while ago, but she is less compact than the first. The top image I did a while ago, while everything below, I started recently. After a while, I got tired of making measurements to try to make all of the views match up, so this page is a WIP. I might just simply do the complex version in Illustrator (eventually, though I honestly want to finish the Valkyrie first, and that is going to take a while...), so I decided to do something more sketchy.

[​IMG]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/40445677@N06/5995456638/in/photostream/
    Hence what we have here. It is easy to see the Starfleet insignia inspiration, and the nacelles are based off of the Odyssey class's. I'm not quite done with this series of sketches, but it will do for now.

And yes, the nacelles are supposed to stow away when not in use.

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Great mix of flowing lines. The busy aft fantail of the Excelsior and the multi-layered support on the insignia shaped scout are impressive.

6. JES

Thank you. I'm glad you like the way the lines flow, since aesthetic appeal is certainly one of the things I think about when designing this sort of stuff. :)

The insignia-shaped craft on top is supposed to be a shuttlepod, and the two pages towards the bottom are meant to be a shuttlecraft, to be precise, though I don't believe that using shuttles as scouts is unheard of.

7. JES

A Fast Frigate introduced in the early-mid 2380's based on the Ianar class.

[​IMG]
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7239/7190930540_85f22154e5_b.jpg

I envision these as about as heavily armed as the Defiant class, but not to the point that they feel as though they might fall apart. They could be considered as heavily armed as a Defiant class if not for having less torpedo launchers, though they do have more phasers for defensive combat and ship-to-ship.

I suppose you could think of them as being a little like classes like the Defiant and Avenger class, but without the compact nacelles and less spartan. They are among the ships that usually stay on patrol so that the more dedicated warships can leave for the front lines, but during times of peace, these can usually be seen with Defiant and Avenger class vessels on patrol inside Federation star systems.

I think one of the very important things I need to do for this is come up with a good class name. Any Suggestions? And the less obvious or popular, the better, since I like to avoid using class names that have already been used.

8. JES

The Sparrow class isn't the only design I've been working on. The image below however is one that I think I started over a year ago.

[​IMG]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/40445677@N06/8194037420/in/photostream/

The next on is much more recent, and IMHO takes it further, and refines her. At this point, I have started to think of calling her the Gypsy.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/40445677@N06/8194035958/in/photostream/

The Gypsy's origins started when I was looking at one of Atolm's designs, which I have been unable to find during a recent attempt to find it, though I remember the story behind her: though I can't remember the name she carried, I do remember it was one of the names of one of the Constitution class vessels lost during the TOS era. She was overall the same as a standard Constitution class vessel, with the exception that the engineering hull was completely redesigned to have the nacelles integrated, akin to the much later Defiant class, but still quite different in appearance. During her trial run, she was accompanied by the Enterprise, which she warped ahead of at significant speed. I remember the term "like a bat out of hell" in particular being used to describe her as she took off at high warp. By the time the Enterprise caught up with her, this vessel has torn itself apart; apparently, the Federation wasn't advanced enough to take full advantage of this type of design configuration, and attempting to do so had lethal consequences.

After a dream the following night where I glimpsed the rear of an engine design, I knew I had to sketch it out, and try to make a whole design out of it. You can see what I remember seeing towards the middle of the first series of sketches. This idea soon turned into a possible replacement for the Intrepid class.

As you can see in the more detailed set of sketches, she is well equipped with defensive weaponry as a result of the many relatively recent conflicts: retractable point defense phasers to shooting down projectiles and small craft, retractable phased energy turrets for anti-fighter defense, and banks of multiple phasers, which was inspired by the multiple phaser banks used by Starfleet vessels in the TOS and TMP eras. If one section of the hull is heavily damaged, the other nearby phaser arrays can still function in circumstances where long phaser strips wouldn't. I used color pencils on the impulse drives, weapon warning strip marks, and the warp grilles to liven things up.
    The main deflector was inspired by ST Renaissances's Phoenix class.

Both hull sections are capable of quantum slipstream and standard warp, as well as landing, which the wings are meant to assist. I place the Gypsy around 2425, when I predict that the conflicts with the Klingons and Undine will have run it's course, and by then, Starfleet will have begun getting back towards exploring.

In my vision of the ST Universe, Atolm's design that the Gypsy was inspired by only remained a concept, due to further analysis revealing that the design was unsafe, relatively soon before the Federation Council approved of her construction, and the name that was going to be used was instead used in the next Constitution class construction run. The plans for this design were found again by a designer browsing through the starship design archive, became an inspiration for a new design. That is not to say that there isn't a timeline where both were constructed though...

Whether or not the Gypsy will become a true successor of the Intrepid and her kin will remain to be seen...

Comments as always are welcome.:)

Now then, I see I have some catching up to do...

9. JES

While Ascension has been airing at night, during the day, I've been taking a break from playing my Alpha Sapphire Version, and been designing my own starship, based on the configuration of the Belknap class, which also had her own little variation called the U.S.S. Ascension (which I guess, no matter how Ascension ends tonight, I get the feeling that the Starfleet vessel to share that name will have had a far better service life).
    This is the result of the past two days, and several hours of sketching:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/40445677@N06/16044310075/in/photostream/

I know that much of the sketches looks uneven, and this not particularly impressive. I need to remember to start of using 2H pencils when I start sketching.

Thus far I have plans for two designs for the Strike Cruiser lineage: this design, and a Slipstream pocket version of the Vesta class. I might also make a Pre-TOS design too, if this subject should prove popular enough for constant commentary. I don't plan to make a TLE design, since I consider the Mesopotamia class to fulfill that role, what with her nacelle pylons having an almost identical configuration. One less design for me to concoct.

Design-wise, I drew quite a bit from Andrew Probert's organic feel for the Galaxy class, but this one is actually contemporary to designs such as the New Orleans and Steamrunner class, served in the Cardassian-Federation Border Wars along with them, and has a registry somewhere around NCC-52500. Think of her as a mini-me of the Galaxy class, but predecessor style. I've also been contemplating giving her hull-seperation abilities, just like the Galaxy class, and could very well have tested them, albeit on a smaller scale, though this might be too soon, since this is around the late 2340s to early 2350s. I'd have to describe her around the same size as the New Orleans class, minus the neck, but with slightly heavier weaponry, especially in the phaser department. I've also been thinking of doing an alternate design, based more on the angular design elements of the First Contact designs done by Alex Jaeger. Maybe it is a little too soon for the full-on organic look, but I'll let you all decide if I should try that direction.

For the most part, the saucer section and nacelles are mostly supposed to be mostly unmodified modules shared by the New Orleans class (not sure about the nacelles though), with the exception of where the yacht or main sensors would be in the center of the ventral hull (not that the New Orleans has anything there, seeing as that is where the saucer section and neck connects). My idea is that there is a twin torpedo launcher mounted there (like the Constitution class, which also has torpedo tubes in that general area). The Light Dreadnaught variant would have a triple torpedo launcher in that area.
    I'd have to say that although the secondary shares many design elements with the other Galaxy-based designs, it is also pretty unique. I have been considering adding a second shuttlebay to the secondary hull, which would probably share some design characteristics with Probert's Ambassador class, but the Belknap class only has one, and the New Orleans class has one, and maybe one is enough for a ship this size.

I also did some thumbnails to come up with an idea of what the Light Dreadnaught variant might look like, but my focus is on the base Strike Cruiser designs.

As always C&C is more than welcome. ;)

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome hand drawn designs :)

I have several i did on my drop box in a rar file and on my Photobucket :)

11. JES

Thanks! :)

12. JES

Re: JES's Miscellaneous/Non-Trek Design Thread

My latest design work that I've been doing over the past few weeks, based on an aircraft that I took a ride in a dream.

[​IMG]

I'm also patching in the comments I posted on DeviantArt:

An aircraft concept that I saw (and flew in) in a dream a few weeks back. Flying in a jet fighter, and going through those high-g maneuvers is a dream of mine, so I guess it is only natural that I would eventually have a literal dream of doing so.

One of the things I first noted in my dream was how unusual she was, and rather than having the engines tucked into the body, like just about every jet fighter in history, instead had the engines mounted in the wings, not unlike the ME-262. Even in my dream state, I couldn't help but think that perhaps this is the route that perhaps another race (as in, an alien civilization) might've taken. Also unusual were the fins mounted on the engine area.

The 5 cannons that are obviously poking out of their various areas probably wouldn't work for a high-speed supersonic fighter, but would be better tucked into the hull-frame, but that is how I saw them in the dream, oddly enough as I looked back during the take off. That was one of the more surreal and unrealistic parts of the dream, since I doubt I would've been able to see them while strapped in.

I tried to depict the fighter as this almost utilitarian-looking unit, which I remember having a more blocky, faceted nose, the closest thing that I can compare is maybe the fictional MiG-31 Firefox.

The paneling was based on the F-15, specifically the Strike Eagle, while the paneling of the tail fins was based on the SR-71, and the engine exhaust nozzles were based on the Su-27 Fulcrum.

With the fuselage free of equipment due to the engines being on the outside, the ordinance would be carried internally.

13. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very cool concept there! Actually kind of reminds me of some of the fighters in Wing Commander.

14. JES

Thanks! Yeah, some of the fighters in Wing Commander have this flying wing design, don't they?

Not that I would know, since I haven't played any of the series.

15. JES

More stuff, this time made for my new Introduction to Concept Art course I'm taking at Vancouver Animation:

[​IMG]
    http://jeszasz.deviantart.com/art/Class-Sketches-and-Doodles-Set-1-545855167

The first of my works for my new Introduction to Concept Art class that I started in Vancouver Animation.

Included in this set is a space soldier, based off this photograph here: http://freeport.deviantart.com/art/Stock-Soldier-07-Aiming-277429774

A worker/helper droid that probably could've come out much better, who is holding some sort of tool.

A swordwoman based off yet another fellow DeviantArt member, a beautiful girl apparently named Anastasia: http://heavenearthhell.deviantart.com/art/Erza-Samurai-Cosplay-2-345098726
    As you can see, my imagination took me into the direction of taking this photo, and making some sort of Jedi. The braids denote that she is still an apprentice, but I wanted to do something creative with the hair.
    That, or it could just be a styling preference.
    The glowing bits on her shoulder are supposed to be force field emitters, sorta taken from traditional samurai armor, which I guess was supposed to deflect blows to armored areas. The function in a similar way, and will probably burn out from continued exposure to a lightsaber or weapons fire, but will deflect glancing blows easily enough.
    The small sidearm sketch on her left is supposed to be the same sidearm sticking out from the other side of her hip.

Using poses as a basis for my sketches was my best bet, since these sketches were supposed to be character artwork, and unfortunately, I'm bit used to sketching characters, and know next to nothing about anatomy.

And finally is some sort of droid, with some concepts for the retractable treads. Primary mode of travel is repulsorlift/anti-gravity, and features include three flexible eye stalks, a variety of retractable tools and equipment, and 4 manipulator arms, only two of which are visible. This final sketch series was done after I had submitted this work to the school, and it seems I won't be able to show it there now.

Lessons learned from this week: sketch out everything in full; don't let any of the sketches get cut off because I didn't make sure there wasn't enough room, and make sure that the concept's purposes are obvious enough, so what they are doesn't have to be explained. Assigned grade for this week: C+

[​IMG]
    http://jeszasz.deviantart.com/art/Introduction-to-Concept-Art-Assignment-1-Set-2-545914933

The second page for my first assignment for the course I'm currently taking.

Included in this set are concepts for flippers with propellors in them (think of them as underwater jet boots) and a simple sketch for an underwater helmet, which has the oxygen mask inside the helmet, so your face stays dry, and it isn't a death sentence if the helmet breaks.

Also, a very simple set of doodles for attack droid based on a hornet,

And finally, a female space tourist out for a space walk, with a relatively simple lifting body-shuttle as a bonus. The engines are based on the Northrop/McDonnell YF-23 Lightning, because the Lightning's engines are cool. :)

[​IMG]
    http://jeszasz.deviantart.com/art/Introduction-to-Concept-Art-Assignment-1-Set-3-545918759

The final sketch set for the now due assignment, which includes:

Yet another one of my starship designs. Probably the last I'm going to do for a while, since the instructor has told me I'm supposed to focus on character designs for now. D'oh! :P

A very rough concept for a delivery dirigible robot, which air drops it's cargo via parachute. Wish me luck on trying to get this idea to look like it could plausibly work!

And finally, taking the idea of an scuba suit from set 2, is fleshed out a lot more fully here. The bubble helmet is still there, but the propellor fins are gone, since I think any feet-mounted units would be too bulky to use effectively to walk while out of water. On her back are a pair of propellor pods, complete with vectored thrust, which can be controlled via buttons in the gloves. Think of it as an underwater jet pack. ;) There is no need for air tanks, due to wearing artificial gills around the neck.

Oh, and the crotch strap probably would need to go, since it should be easy enough to get off so that if the unit runs out of juice, it would become dead weight to drag you down to your death (though with those artificial gills, you shouldn't have to worry about drowning). Oh course, it would also need to fit snuggly enough so that it still feels like your one with those propellor units, as opposed to being dragged along.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  16. JES

My work from the last two assignment in my continuing class. I didn't post last week because I procrastinated. :P

[​IMG]
    http://jeszasz.deviantart.com/art/Assignment-2-Character-Silhouettes-547704160
    The assignment was to make 15 silhouettes. I did 6 different concepts, with 3 variations for each.

And I have decided to try using Photoshop's sketching tools, since I feel that Sketchbook just doesn't give me the degree of control and finesse that I need.

Character Briefing, from left to right:

An old war torn war dog of a general. The concept: he lost half his body in a battle, and has numerous other scars from countless past battles, including a scar around one of his eyes, while having some sort of cybernetic enhancement for the other, since that is completely gone. For the bottom pass, I even came up with the concept that he has a large portion of his face covered by a metal plate, since that part of his face was heavily damaged as well. In order to move, he has to use cybernetic prosthetic limbs, or some sort of anti-gravity device. Personality wise, I think of him a big old softy on the inside, intensely loyal to his friends, but ruthless to his enemies.

Next: a typical muscle bound American, who is supposed to be the leader of the others, but is more likely second in command, because even though the General has been injured many times in the past, he is still a hands-on sort of guy who likes to do everything himself. Haven't really thought of any personality for this one, but I was kinda thinking of Captain Chandler from The Last Ship when making this one, so I guess that is a start. I had a great deal of fun sketching out the shoulder-mounted weapons for him and the General, which are easy to carry, due the armor having built in cybernetics/hydraulics/enhancing mechanisms.

Third: The only female concept sub-type I did for this run, who specializes in hand-to-hand combat, especially swords. I played with three different concepts for her main weapons: a lightsaber-type energy blade, an energy tipped blade, not unlike that used by some designs used in the Gundam franchise, and last: what is supposed to be a chainsaw, which of course also has energy tipped blades.

Fourth: One of the favorite concepts that I played around with: the Reptilian, who is the muscle of the team, and also insists that he is the brains of the team, due to the arrogance typical of his race. Think of him as a reptilian/saurian Klingon, if you will, but with the shrewd intelligence of a Romulan/Vulcan. The influences that I used were crocodilian, raptor, and Alpha Draconian.
    Alpha Draconians are an interesting case, because they are a race that conspiracy theorists insist are real, and have been infiltrating our society and seats of power for decades, if not longer. Take what you will from this, but I figured that if I was going to make a reptilian concept, I minus go all out, and base one of my goes on this interesting, but apparently extremely dangerous, perhaps indeed malevolent species.
    The bottom example is the only one that I conceptualized to have natural wings, while the other two above have a pair of thruster units designed to look like wings. I have no idea how they'd survive getting shot at on the battlefield though.
    The bottom two are smiling not just because they are smug, arrogant SOBs, but because they know where you live, and if you view this and don't fave this, or at least leave a comment, they will plot to find you, and probably harvest you for organs, eat you, or use you as a slave. They do that you know, much to everyone else's chagrin. Due to the fact that Alpha Draconians absolutely hate us, and indeed view us as inferior (then again, they view everyone as inferior. Like I said, they have a massive superiority/inferior complex), I doubt that a member of the species would want to be involved in any cooperative endeavor unless they are the ones calling the shots, but oh well! Creative license FTW!!! That and reptiles and dinosaurs are always cool!!

And last: some sort of recon/intelligence/communications officer, who is the least combat oriented of the bunch by far, and probably doesn't even want to be here. I think personality wise, he is a little like Daniel Jackson of Stargate. He is likely the true brains of the team.

And since I had some extra time, I made another character series, along with some droid concepts. This is a sort wacky scientist/doctor/plucky comedy relief who likes to run around tinkering/experimenting in his lab, and develops/modify equipment for the team. The second concept even explores the idea that I had that he could be the type who drinks while on the job (either alcoholic/alien narcotic/stimulant drink or not). I had this idea that he has this droid who always happily follows him wherever he goes, helping him out, especially considering that the Wacky Scientist is shorter than the others of the team. I was think while making his concepts that if there is anyone here who constantly gets himself or the others into trouble, it's this guy.

I obviously need to practice today before my next assignment, since the grade for this one was a C+ as well. Well, I have to admit this is amateur quality. :P

That was from last week.

This week:

[​IMG]
    http://jeszasz.deviantart.com/art/Wurm-Silhouettes-549370317
    Passes for my last assignment. At first, they looked a little too much like ordinary caterpillars, though this at least gave me a chance to get used to drawing those segments and legs.

The only thing alien for the most part were the eyes, and I wanted to do better than that.

Eventually, I got the idea of incorporating cat elements into the design, as a sort of play on the "cat" in caterpillar, with cat ear-like head crest formations, a cat tail-like rear sensory organ, and even a cat nose-like snout and whisker-like sensory organs.

I didn't want to add any spines or stingers, due to wanting this guy to look cute and huggable, and making him like a Wooly Bear would've been a PITFA.

[​IMG]
    http://jeszasz.deviantart.com/art/Wurm-Creature-Lineart-with-no-apple-549366676

The name "Wurm" BTW is just a placeholder. This is for the third assignment in my continuing Introduction to Concept Art class.

This is to show that: yes, I did give some thought into what the jaws look like. No, I am not honestly satisfied with them, but caterpillar jaws are complicated.

More details on the final resulting image.

[​IMG]
    http://jeszasz.deviantart.com/art/Wurm-Creature-Lineart-549367916

An very big caterpillar-like creature that grows into an even bigger Butterfly/Moth-like creature, the apple is for scale, and the it's enjoyment. These guys love apples and other fruits for a tasty treat. I didn't have enough time to even come up with ideas of what the adult form would look like.

The tail is some sort of sensory organ, while the crest is not unlike the organ on some caterpillars that will expand and emit a noxious odor on contact or when frightened.

Makes "meep" sounds when frightened or excited, these guys are able to grow to the size they do because of the far richer oxygen content on their native planet, similar to Earth eons ago when dragonflies grew to the size of birds.

The eyes were influenced by non other than Anorith. My justification is that having eyes like those makes for a better ability to keep an eye out for predators.

Todays grade was a B-. Looks like I'm improving!:) (Smile)

17. JES

Final project for Introduction to Concept Art:

[​IMG]
    http://http://jeszasz.deviantart.com/art/Hidden-Base-Thumbnails-550999423

Thumbnails for my final project (for the moment). The theme I chose where military bases set into some sort of natural or geological formation. It took me two days to do this.

From top to bottom:
    The first two are just simply bases set into a mountain, not unlike the Dulce base.

The third one down was my favorite, and thus the one that I choose for my final project. I bases the design on the Cruik Fortress from Ace Combat 5 (but then, Ace Combat has some really cool enemy base designs that are fun to attack. Too bad I wasn't able to play 1-3 and 6 onwards). The idea is that a crater has been converted, using the ancient geological formation as a start to build the base into. More on that for the final product though. Oh, and yes, that is supposed to be a Boeing 747, to show the scale of the runway (not that a 747 would be able to reach any of these bases, seeing as how they are lightyears away). In emergencies, I envisioned the base being able to handle even transports.

The 4th one down on the left is built into an underwater volcano. I didn't want to go down this route, even though one of my classmates expressed enthusiasm for the idea, because I had a hard time picturing how the volcano would look at the angle I was going for. I also couldn't get the semi-circular observation deck to look right. And I didn't want to have to go through the trouble of getting the volcano to look right, since that would've made up +50% of the image (then again, that is kinda why I didn't go with any of the other concepts: I didn't know how to do a seafloor, and wanted to avoid having to look up references). The exterior of the base modules are protected by defensive field emitters and heat and explosive resistant materials, in case the volcano goes off, and is powered by geothermal energy and secondary cold fusion batteries.

The final one on the bottom right is built into the sea floor. I suppose if I were experienced enough, I imagine the possibility of the base being partially obscured by oversized seaweed and inhabited by nearby coral and alien sea creatures. Not that I know what'd they look like.

For each of them, what you see is only the tip of the iceberg, and below are the living quarters and whatever else you need for a military base (weapons and fire control, offices, briefing rooms, mission and g-force training simulators, kitchen and mess hall, sickbay, whatever you need), with corridors going many levels down, not unlike The Hive of Resident Evil and Deep Underground Military Bases. Though unlike real D.U.M.B.s, they welcome curious visitors, are more than happy to give a tour of the base, and even willing to give rides in their two seat training starfighters, if you ask nicely, and if you dare. Of course there are restricted areas, but at least there aren't any immoral genetic experiments, which I can't say for real life counterparts.

[​IMG]
    http://jeszasz.deviantart.com/art/Outpost-551005895

The final project for my Introduction to Concept Art.

Based on the Cruik Fortress from Ace Combat 5, I had the idea that the base was set into a crater, which is why there are two secondary craters. What you see is merely the runway and hangar bay, as well as doors for land vehicles, which are connected to a variety of corridors, some of which lead to the surface. There are also emergency doors at the end of the runways that lead to the surface, though I didn't do the doors for those on the landscape, figuring they wouldn't be visible from this angle anyways. Same thing goes for strategically places weapons hatches. Or I just didn't have enough time to do them.

I was sort of channeling Ancient design when designing the comm tower in that crater. Hopefully, you can't tell that I didn't really put a lot of thought into the design.

I learned the hard way that I really need to learn how to draw terrain and mountains, because as you can see, I have no idea how to. That is something I'll have to address before my next class starts. I also need to work of perspective, since I had a hard time wrapping my head around that.

The grade I got for this project is a C+, which I guess is okay for my first environmental concept work.

18. JES

[​IMG]
    http://jeszasz.deviantart.com/art/Landscape-Practice-Drawing-2-Final-557433912
    One of my attempts to address my lack of ability to do a decent landscape. Unfortunately, I don't think I quite know how to make things appear the way I would've liked, and just have nothing more than a tenuous understanding on the fundamentals. Drawing mountains is still something of a mystery to me. At least the water came out decent IMO. And I worked hard on the Type 11 Shuttlecraft, which I think came out great, even though a close up reveals that not everything is quite proportionally right.

I've also added a creature swimming past, as well as an exposed deck, where off duty officers to stare out at the scenery while grabbing a bite to eat or something to drink, and also have access to the outside. I probably should've added a crab-like creature walking on the beach to make the latter prospect more interesting, but I've gotten tired of working on this. :P

[​IMG]
    http://jeszasz.deviantart.com/art/Pulse-Lineart-WIP-Lionshare-Head-Concept-557436137

After about a week of doing lineart practice trying to replicate a dragon, as suggested by my parents to improve my drawing skills, I figured it'd be more fun to continue this piece of lineart I started on instead.

I figured there wasn't enough fanart for Pulse, especially considering he is the only Organoid the player owns in an RPG to my knowledge, let alone one sold in the U.S.
    However, I found out the hard way, that once again, for me, trying to draw limbs is difficult, hence me starting to practice trying to get a feel for them at the bottom. Making things harder is a short stock of references to choose from.