Dr Who/Star Trek Crossover WAS planned by RTD

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by zodin4spock, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Were there any DW references in The Eugenic Wars or any of the other Greg Cox novels about Gary Seven? They had lots of references to various sci-fi and fantasy tv shows and movies; I just can't remember a Doctor one off-hand.

2. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

And it doesn't have to be blatant, maybe have the Tardis Materialize after the "System" (The place that built the liberator) gets mucked up by Orac and the Doctor helps the rebels there regain control and save their system.

Or how about sending the Doctor to Garuda Prime to recover Orac as it is needed to help compute something that can save the universe or the timelords....

I would love to see some elements/settings/ect from Blake's 7 to be used in a story as an homage....

3. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the idea of having a planet or culture that bases itself based off the holorecordings found in a crashed ship, the show on the Holorecordings, "Star Trek".

4. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd love to have seen such a cross-over. Given the crew working on Season Four of Enterprise, I think they and RTD could have come up with something fun.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the time capsule from Enterprise Season One. The burned-out one that was bigger on the inside? Of course, that episode aired before there was a new Doctor Who series, otherwise I'd suspect that was intended as foreshadowing for the Christmas/Easter special.

Edit to add:

Perhaps the purists could be appeased if both shows depicted their heroes on separate missions that happen to cross paths on an alien world. Archer and crew involved in a bit of Romulan intrigue that brings them to a world that the Tardis just happens to materialize on as the Doctor is off gallivanting around time and space. Nothing major, just something viewers of either show can watch as part of their respective continuity without getting too fannish. The Doctor in the background of some Enterprise scenes, and vice-verse for the most part. Although I'd love to see Trip and T'Pol break into the Tardis.

5. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

That happened all the bloody time in the 70s! They shared a lot of sets!

Crossover-wise, the books and audios have done several, with Chris Boucher bringing Carnell from B7 into DW.

Trek/B7 would also be interesting - I know you think "but the lack of aliens in B7 means it can't be the Trek-Verse" but you go and watch By Any Other Name and Star One back to back as a two-part story and see what happens...

6. Captaindemotion

^ Has anyone ever written a story where the evil Federation in B7 and the benevolent one in ST were one and the same?

7. Lonemagpie

Not in the pro world, that I know of. It's easy to reconcile, though, if you go with Robert Wolfe's pitch for the post-fall-of-the-Federation sort of thing (which eventually became Andromeda, but, hey, B7 is better).

Blakes 7 is set in at least the 28th Century, probably further than that - it could also be be the Federation in the "wrong" timeline in Shockwave, or in some other Time War, er, Temporal Cold War timeline.

8. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

could B7 have anything to do with Firefly? I dont really know enough about B7 to comment, but I am aware there are similarity's between the two shows

9. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

The ratio between television ideas that are planned and the ones that actually end up on screen is massive. He may well have planned to have full anal penetration on Torchwood, which would have been just as likely to come to fruition.

10. Captaindemotion

^Huhuhuhuh. You said 'anal.' Then 'fruit.' And 'come.' Not to mention 'massive.'

11. biotech

biotech Vice Admiral Admiral

Could have been a total mind fuck if the Doctor knew that star trek was fictional, and the enterprise crew knew the doctor was fictional.

They could have spent the whole episode arguing over who was real, and if they filmed bits for both shows, had two different endings with one or the other just turning out to be some shape shifting, mind reading alien.

12. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

That was the premise of a fan fic story I once started to write, only it would have ended with both sides realising they're not real. But my writing skills weren't up to the task and I didn't really have an interesting plot.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well it's the 800th year of the new calander (I think), and the new calender could have started anytime so it could be the 51st Century is you wanted it to be.

I'd rather a Who/B7 crossover than a Trek/B7 crossover. Having said that I did write a very short comedy fanfic once where the Ent D met the Liberator. Basically Picard said this is the Federation ship Enterprise and Avon started firing the moment he heard the word Federation!

There are quite a few aliens in B7, not as many as Trek I know, but far enough in the future you could argue the Auronar are Betazoids!

I'd love to see the Doctor turn up sometime after Blake, at the very least I bet Jacqui Pearce would love to play Servalan again--just a shame Peter Tuddenham died because the Doctor and Orac trying to out genius each other would have been brilliant. I wonder if there are enough Orac samples to do it?

Unlikely to ever happen given that the BBC don't own the rights to B7 anymore (shame really, given they're brining everything else from the 70s and 80s back they'd have got around to B7 eventually)

14. Lonemagpie

Third Century of the Second Calendar, actually - but in one episode they identify a ship (Galaxy Class!) as one of the earliest interstellar ships, from 800 years ago.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^And I call myself a fan :lol:

16. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

The thing is, the ST universe is so radically different from the DW universe in terms of history, aliens, etc, that the only way the Doctor could conceivably meet Archer/Kirk/Picard/Sisko/Janeway would be if he travelled sideways in time out of his home reality into the Trek one, like he did in Inferno and Rise of the Cybermen (kind of).

17. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or if the episode was deliberately meant to be inconsistent with both universes.

18. Lonemagpie

Or if they just, y'know, ignored it all and got on with the story - both shows have frequently been inconsistent with themselves (where's Cochrane from, again? How many times has Atlantis been destroyed?)

19. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: we could do that, im willing to bet we wont however.

20. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't think of a single way to make it mesh successfully either.