More Star Wars films announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Feb 6, 2013.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

"I have the high ground!"

Oh you do? NOW? So what was all that when you were jumping up and climbing on hugely tall structures? Did that not count as ground? Talk about the most :rolleyes: worthy moment in the movie.

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Vader's floating jump after disarming Luke in The Empire Strikes Back is the creepiest move he ever did. Part of its effectiveness as a surprise move comes from us never having seen him do anything like it. As we learn about telekinetic Force powers in that sequel, it makes sense in that context. But Luke's duel with Vader is a revelation to Luke and to us that there is much that Yoda never got a chance to show him. We are still learning during the duel, with Luke, just how far Force powers go.

This is yet another reason why the films should be watched—and the story told—in the order 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, the order in which the ideas were developed in the real world. Change that order, and the suspense in The Empire Strikes Back is lost, beyond just the climax being spoiled.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Obviously he was talking about his pirate stash of TNG Season 3 Blu-rays.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Lol. You'd think Anakin could just float over to a different area of the rock. Or time his flip better so that his damn legs wouldn't be chopped off.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think I would want Vader in the suit jumping around like the PT Jedi. It just would look weird to see someone in a big bulky suit jumping around like that. It looks good with characters in the loose flowing robes and clothes that the PT characters wear, but I just don't see it working with something like what OT Vader wears.
    1. ESB
    2.ROTS
    3.ROTJ
    4.ANH
    5.AOTC
    6.PTM
    I really enjoy all six though, so this simply a matter of how much I like them, rather than which I do and don't like.

6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I love that moment. And the electronic hum of Vader's saber as he jumps makes the scene even creepier.

He's like an angel of death swooping down on poor Luke.

7. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Correct, and I lack the proper terminology to adequately describe what I wanted to see. I meant that I want the "christening" of the title to have happened at the end of Episode II, and the opening sequence of Episode III would be the fight on Mustafar (instead of the fight against Dooku). Darth Vader/Anakin is disabled, and then he becomes robot Anakin, and for the next hour and a half he kicks ass and kills adult Jedi (not younglings) and whatnot.

8. tighr

At a minimum, I wish that David Prowse had been better with a sword, or at least have a proper choreographer. Watching the OT now is just painful when you see Vader with his lightsaber. For someone who is established as one of the best (if not the best) Lightsaber wielders of all time, he is awful pedestrian with it versus Luke. Holding it with one hand, swinging it around, THROWING it???

9. CorporalClegg

For me, the biggest distraction of the PT lightsaber battles is the green "flashes" that occur during saber strikes. They're most prominent during the original, but I think they're still there (to a much lesser degree) in the other two films.

I think lens flares will be a huge improvement.

10. cooleddie74

Did anyone notice that the only moment in all six films that a lightsaber casts a glow on its user is when Anakin and Dooku are squaring off in the Geonosis landing hangar near the end of Clones? Anakin or Dooku sever a power cable to nearby lights and things get dark for a few moments, and you can see the glows from their respective lightsabers bouncing off their faces and torsos.

In every other scene in the Saga where lightsabers are used there's no glow beamed onto and reflected by surrounding surfaces, even when it's dark.

11. CorporalClegg

No. But now that you mention it, you're totally right.

12. RedShirt

RedShirt Captain Captain

Not exactly...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Anderson_(fencer)
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bob_Anderson

13. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

14. tighr

15. cooleddie74

Good (if confirmed).

Harrison might not view Han as a meaty or very three-dimensional character to sink his teeth into but he knows what he meant to a generation of moviegoers who grew up with the OT. He's be insane to turn down the enormous paychecks that being in the Sequel Trilogy would mean along with the potential kick in the pants to his currently lethargic career.

He can complain all he wants about Han Solo being a character without any challenges or excitement to play, but if Disney and Lucasfilm dangle a big enough check in front of his eyes he'll jump in and give it everything he's got for a guy in his seventies.

16. CorporalClegg

I'm of two minds on this. Part of me really wants to see the original cast back on screen, but another (perhaps larger) part thinks it might be best to just move on to new characters or recast.

17. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't say I'm too excited about the idea of seeing Ford, Fisher or Hamill return but we'll see what happens.

18. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't read any of the books but as I understand it [correct me if I'm wrong please] but doesn't Han's son become a sith Lord and then Emperor at some point?

There may be a role for Han to play in that downfall as his son turns to the dark side?

19. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no idea, I've never read any SW books.
    Outside the movies my only experience is with the KOTOR games and the Force Unleashed games.

And to be honest, with so many SW movies in the plans I would very much like to see some of them set in those "universes" than just see what happened to various characters from the OT.

20. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

There is no "at some point" anymore: the Expanded Universe is dead.