So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I am reading Susan Wright's Dark Passions duology. First book is kind of dragging and it is just a little bit too fan wankish for me. Every character is kind of just shoe-horned into the story. I love Intendant/Overseer Kira though.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Isn't the Mirror Universe pretty much all about shoehorning characters? I mean, in such a different history, it's a huge coincidence for the same characters to exist in the first place, let alone end up on the same ship or station as one another.

3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Star trek Voyager Captain Proton short stories. This is a fun book to read.:techman:

4. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Maybe. The mirror universe episodes were hit and miss in general for me.

5. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

More or less. I've always thought of the MU as a tongue-in-cheek approach to "What ifhumanity got it wrong?" I was fine with it being shown once, but to keep bringing it back again and again cheapened the concept.

--Sran

6. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I vote miss. I am not a fan of mirror universe stories. I tend to skip the DS9 MU episodes when I do a re-watch.

7. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Finished up Hollow Men by Una McCormack. I thought it was a solid episodic novel that fits in neatly with the television season. I don't have anything spectacular to say about this book, and I have nothing negative to say. I simply enjoyed the read.

Decided to jump over to the "Slings and Arrows" series and I started the first novella on the bus ride home tonight, it seems decent so far. I'm a little disappointed that I have to pay full novel price for books that are less than 100 pages long, but **** it, I got a raise this season. Might as well spend it on books.

8. Tarheel

Tarheel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just finished A Time For War, A Time For Peace. It seemed to take a while to get through - not any fault of the story or the author, just life kept getting in the way. (Sometimes it's so hard to find the time...)

Not sure what's up next. I'm thinking Prime Directive or Federation, before returning to the relaunch setting.

9. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

I'm reading Hollow World by Michael J. Sullivan. It's about a terminal ill man who time travels to the far future to quite a fascinating future world. It's really gripping!

10. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

Last night I finished Star Trek: No Time Like the Past by Greg Cox.

I'm now reading Stargate SG-1: Valhalla by Tim Waggoner.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I forgot to post that I started the Divergent novel a couple days ago. I picked up the Kindle version after really enjoying the movie when I went to see it a couple weeks ago.

12. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading The Birthmarked Trilogy by Caragh M. O'Brien.

13. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad to see someone else enjoyed the movie. I really loved it, and thought it did a great job translating the book. Most of the reviews I saw though were "meh" to "bleh." Made me sad. :(

I will warn you though, Divergent is the series' high point. I saw an article not long after the movie came out titled, "The problem with Divergent is Allegiant", and I thought that was probably the most concise expression of my feelings on the subject there could be.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

My mom liked it too. I don't drive and so sometimes she'll come to see movies she wouldn't otherwise, and this time she was pleasantly surprised by how much she enjoyed the movie.

15. CaptKirk

CaptKirk Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Just finished "Declassified." I really enjoyed the Vanguard series and will miss it. Not sure what to read next. Just started to re-watch ENTERPRISE so may read one of the novels from that series I haven't read.

16. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

So, in this day and age when DC are douchebags who mess things up with New 52, and don't believe audiences could accept a female superhero movie, while Marvel have hit a stride that pleases fans and casual folks alike, it's sometimes hard to remember how one came to be more a DC fan and not like Marvel.

And then something like Spiderman: Birth of Venom reminds you of exactly why. Because, back in the 80s when you started getting into proper comics, DC were reinventing the medium with mature writing, and Marvel were producing tales where both the dialogue, the thought bubbles, and the descriptive captions were all repetitively telling you what you were supposed to be seeing in the inferior art.

Yeah, you can tell I just read this collection, right?

Mostly written by Tom DeFalco, I guess I have to blame him for the crap telling us what the panels should be showing us, and the repetition. It might be the Marvel house style of the time, really - though I have some Essential Wolverine and X Men books that don't do this - but even if it were, the last two chapters, by other writers, avoid it.

The penultimate chapter, by Louise Simonson, comes over a bit better, though still has some of that style, and doesn't have as awful dialogue and phrasing as DeFalco's issues.

The last chapter, Amazing Spiderman #300, is by David Micheline, and avoids that style entirely, reading as a decent regular comic. The art by Todd MacFarlane is a bit weird, mind you - MJ suddenly is a Victoria's Secret icon in every panel, and while the story emphasises that Eddie Brock is way more the bodybuilder type than the lean Peter Parker, MacFarlane draws Petey as hugely bulked up as well.

So, a big "meh" for this 80s Spidey collection.

Thankfully there have been great Marvel titles since- Ultimates, 1602, etc. Basically from the end of the 90s they seem to have got their shit together...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I never did see what people liked about Todd MacFarlane's art.

18. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^What's 1642?

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm pretty sure you meant Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert's 1602..

19. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Yeah, I did! I shall edit that.

As for Todd McFarlane, I also meant to wonder why the hell he has the webbing look like wooly barbed wire or something...

20. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading Prized, Book 2 of the Birthmarked Trilogy by Caragh M. O'Brien.