American Idol losing money???

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by blockaderunner, May 7, 2009.

1. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw on MSNBC that, dispite being a ratings juggernaut, American Idol is losing money. Is this the beginning of the end of AI, and reality programming as a whole?

2. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you mean by losing money Paula is drinking it all away. Than yes.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

How can it be losing money?

Do Fox's book-keepers not know how to, well, keep books?

4. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, just like most Hollywood blockbusters never actually make a profit (according to the studios)?

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I too can't figure out how a show that is 25 minutes long, that has 35 minutes of commercials that makes $30,000 a second.

6. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

a part of their set did collapse, no one was hurt, but that could be a sign

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a sign from God that it is pissed off at Fox for making stupid choices.

8. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

To be honest, I don't know how the HELL this show & others like it have survived this long!?

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Most likely the report was simply wrong.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

If that show can't turn a profit they might as well shut down the networks right now.

11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Compared to dramas and the like, the per hour costs of them things are peanuts. There is no way outside of an accountants trick that this show does not make money...

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

yep, crappy reporting from someone with an agenda. Maybe you can say it's lost money compared to OTHER years, but with the ratings it gets (and thus the ad dollars) there's no way it loses money unless they have to pay royalties every time Randy says Dawg or something...

13. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seriously???

It is a singing competition. Unlike most shows anybody with half a brain can form an opinion. Either yes good singer or no bad singer. Filled in with a formula of Simon = bad, Paul = good, Randy = whatever, you have a great dynamics.

Also think of all the hits AI and X Factor like shows have created: Carrie Underwood, Daughtrey, Kelly Clarkson, Leona Lewis.. etc..

It is a money printing machine. Also Simon has an amazing eye for talent. Say what you want about the show but Simon is brilliant guy.

14. dru

dru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You believe something reported on MSNBC?

15. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Maybe the effect of Canadian Idol being canceled is starting to reverberate into the United States like I hoped that it would-if so, YESSS!!!

16. ParticleMan

ParticleMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Come and work in my office and you will see why...people still breathlessly go over every episode the next day. What blows my mind is how many people I work with are still totally immersed in Big Brother... :eek:

17. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yep. Simon is very good at spotting talent. He's the only judge on the panel I give any credence to when it comes to performance decisions.

J.

18. Trekker4747

Me I only pay attention to Paula's drunken, high-on-antipsychotics, ramblings. Girl knows what she's talking about!

Or Kara, simply because she's hot.

But no, seriously, Simon's the only one I pay attention to as he's good in the Industry and knows what he's talking about. Second would probably be Randy if he wasn't such a softie.

19. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I don't believe a word Randy says. "Dude, that was pitchy". "Dude, it was aight." "Dude, you hit it right outta the park, baby!". Randy's the most fickle one out of all of them. You could sing it flawlessly, but if Randy doesn't like the song, it was "aight, I wasn't feelin' it, Dawg". He's annoying and frequently wrong. He and Paula could leave the show and I'd be happy with just Kara and Simon.

J.

20. Trekker4747

Yeah, that's pretty much Randy. He doesn't usally offer the most construcitve or useful of criticisms. He also likes his... "urban word use."

Simon, being the hardened producer, knows what to say and do. He gets dinged a lot for being a bastard but he only knows that that is the industry and that the public is much, much worse.