DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I keep saying I'm trade-waiting on Action, but I think I'll break down and get the first three issues today. I like Gail Simone, but Firestorm has never interested me (and she's leaving anyways) and the Barbara Gordon Batgirl does little for me. (Covers have been great, though.)

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm kind of hoping that DC starts a third Superman title, written by Morrison, and set exclusively in this time period.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ What do you mean? Action Comics will be catching up in the present day 52 Verse after the first arc. Besides which Morrison does have other projects going on right now other than AC.

4. theenglish

Just that I really like the whole Year One arc and wish to keep reading stories set in that era.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. It has been great and a taste of what we would have got from his proposed "Superman: Year One" All Star prequel. I'm looking forward to his take on the character in the present.

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

If you are using an Ipod or Ipad do you have an Itunes app on it?

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I looked into getting the digital comics, but I found out that you can't download them. You only get reading privilages to whatever issues you paid for. Everything is stored on their server. It seems to work differently for those with iPads, but I don't know the details.

8. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Fear Itself was absolute terrible. I was planning to get the trade for both it and the most recent arc of Thor. The stuff was just terrible as was the Thor ongoing itself.

The only interesting book was Journey into Mystery b Kieron Gillen.

*sigh* Fraction is just doing a terrible job with Thor.

9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Batman and Robin #1 and #2: I thought this was an Elseworlds take on Batman. I didn't know Bruce had a son. Interesting that his name is Damian since the developing story has parallels with The Omen.

10. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, having read the three Action issues, all I can say is that the arc thus far is pretty near perfection. Morrison's putting on a master class in how to introduce information and motifs, on pacing, on dialogue.

But I assume the worst when the landlady has a name somewhat similar to that of the little imp in the bowler hat ...

11. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would say that, with iPads, they are stored on the device since I can read them offline (in airplane mode)

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm completely digital on comics now. Don't need the clutter or the effort of going around to the comic shop.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I guess I look at comics the same way I do any other form of media, I want a physical copy of it. Like a book, there's just something about sitting down and actually flipping through pages and admiring the art. Can't quite get the same thing through a screen.

14. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In theory, I like digital comics a lot better than print ones (well, except for when on the toilet; I don't own a tablet, but we all know what you use them for). In practice, comixology's reader isn't superior at all.

Query: why don't the digital comics have the ads? I mean, I slide over those in print comics and I expect most people do as well, but apparently they generate some revenue.

I know, I know. I don't really care what price point they sell their goods at, that's not my business, my only business is deciding whether I'll pay it or not. I just wanted them to be clearer in the product description. A small disclaimer along the lines of "26 pages by volume, not by weight." Nevertheless, I'm glad you enjoy it.

15. Trekker4747

The number of pages things pisses me off a bit, but not a whole lot. Some of the pages are adds, fine I get it whatever you have to pay the bills. Some of the pages are Letters to the Editor/Behind the Scenes features neither of which I really read and give more than a glance-over but not part of the comic. Then there's last month where every damn issue had the Batman graphic novel preview in it. :rolleyes:

They should just not advertise the number of pages or be so boastful about it because one way or the other you're lying about what you're actually giving people. Mention the total number of pages you're screwing people over as many of them are ads/non-this comic content. Tell how many pages are actual comic and people will be less likely to buy it when they see "8 pages of THIS story!" on the cover.

16. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Were I in Clark's situation...I would probably rent a crappy apartment in Metropolis (mainly for cover and expense reasons) and do my actual living in some out-of-the-way paradise on the other side of the planet. The only tricky part would be cellphone tracking, but I imagine superman already had to deal with that problem post-phone-booths. Perhaps he could use a pager and then the phone in his apartment (getting there at super-speed)...? Though, I suppose the pager could still be tracked. That's where kryptonian "technology" (aka magic fixes) come in, of course...

17. Trekker4747

Well, this Clark doesn't know about his Kryptonian heritage yet. But as I understand it, Superman/Clark maintains an apartment in Metropolis and lives a fairly "normal" life there and only uses the Fortress when he needs to use its resources for whatever reason or just a place to think/reflect on his Kryptonian roots.

18. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I can understand that...It's basically like living in a college dorm (given that he doesn't have to worry about dangers associated in living in a difficult area). Though, you would think he would spend a good amount of time somewhere nicer.

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Nicer by whose standards? I've known a LOT of kids around Clark's "age" who really wanted to live in the heart of the action, and were willing to compromise on "nice."

Ah... to be young...

20. theenglish

The way iTunes works is that, in most of the world, you cannot buy music unless you have a US, Canadian, or European credit card (or other countries where you can legally purchase music). Even then you have to lie on the acceptance policy and say you are living wherever your credit card is from.

The same is true for most magazines and the ibookstore.