Kirk Enterprise - the Enterprise(a)?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Cadet49, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Cadet49

Cadet49 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Since Star Trek: Countdown to Darkness established that
    Robert April commanded another Federation vessel named Enterprise, and had a registry of NCC-1701 according to the art work
    , does that mean that Kirk's Enterprise is the "Enterprise-A"? I mean it's registry is still NCC-1701, but maybe it's official designation is the NCC-1701(a) on paper?

I remember reading somewhere that there was some original intentions of the film makers in the 2009 film to have Kirk's ship be the second Enterprise, an Enterprise-A, but I'm not sure if that was just a rumour?

2. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I believe the original idea was to have the TOS Enterprise newly commissioned under April play the role that the Kelvin ultimately played. Studio wouldn't let them do it.

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, unless I really missed something, April's Enterprise appears only in the flashbacks of Countdown 2 and we never see its registry number.
    So it can easily be assumed that it didn't have the 1701. Kirk's is the first 1701.

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

In this new continuity, there were other Enterprises between NX-01 and NCC-1701, IMO (or at least one). Starfleet didn't go a century without an Enterprise in service.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to the comic tie-ins, there was an Enterprise NCC-1701 immedately prior to the one seen in the last movie. According to just the films themselves, maybe not, we'll see.

It's worth noting that in Harve Bennett's almost-made movie Star Trek: The Academy Years, there would have been a pre-TOS USS Enterprise commanded by Captain Gregory Thorpe. And of course the Enterprise TV series already squished one more Enterpise into the past of the Trekverse.

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

The problem (if you can call it that) hangs around TNG and DS9 setting a number of Federation starships named Enterprise. Now that is the "Prime" timeline so it really doesn't matter to the reboot timeline. And even in the "Prime" universe you could probably crowbar in another Enterprise if the Powers That Be really wanted to.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

:confused:
    I've got the comic tie-ins and I didn't see that anywhere at all, just an Enterprise prior to NCC-1701 with no hull registry visible or referred to in dialogue.

8. F. King Daniel

Ah, my bad.

9. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Enterprise that was built in the prime universe, would still had been built in JJ. alternate universe. It would still have been built and launch in the same time period as it was in the prime universe. It would had the same registry number as the prime universe Enterprise and still would been a Constitution class starship.

Because George Kirk had die when the USS. Kelvin was destroyed? He wasn't there to save the Enterprise from being destroy.

10. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

No. The "prime" Enterprise 1701 was built, supposedly, in 2245--that is AFTER the Narada incursion, so there is nothing to require that it be built in the alternate timeline.

11. yenny

Can you prove the person that designed the Constitution class starships was on the Kelvin and was kill when the Narada attacked?

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Countdown to Darkness does show April's Enterprise had NCC-1701 for its registry, but this could just be one of IDW's infamous art screw-ups. They used the TMP-TUC design for the Abramsprise in two issues and gave it the registry NCC-1701-D for example.

13. F. King Daniel

Aha! My good:cool:

14. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can you say where?
    Because, as I said in a post above, I only remember seeing April's Enterprise in issue 2 and they never showed registry.

edit: I went back and checked. There is indeed an NCC 1701 on the nacelle. I had completely missed it until now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  15. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

What? Why? He doesn't need to have died for ship design after 2233 to be different in the alternate timeline. That's absurd.

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

If there's one y'all should know about me by now is that I know a thing or two (02) about registry numbers...;)

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do we know for SURE that the original 1701 was built in 2245? IIRC, there's no canon reference to the year that it was constructed.

In any case, even if it was built in that year in the prime timeline, Starfleet may have decided to build it earlier in the Abramsverse. The same ship, built in 2233 rather than 2245. Or something like that.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I feel really stupid, but I simply don't see it anywhere on that image...

Nevermind, I see it when I click through. The image is clearer on the hosting site. I simply chalk that up to artist error on a non-canon piece of material.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

No. Just guesstimates based on the Okuda chronology.

20. yenny

2245 is more of a conjectural date. The TOS Constitution class starships look like they were built in the mid 22th century.