One Dollar Audios

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by OmahaStar, Sep 17, 2012.

1. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I'm curious. Were you given just one option for download? I had two. One was for the mp3 file only, the other for the audiobook. I went with the audiobook. It includes the cover, and the liner notes and all, but also includes interviews from the cast and crew.

I'm thinking if you do download only, it gives you just the mp3, but if you do the cd, then you get both options. And that's why I ask, since you have experience there.

I do hope this means we'll get the sequel a month early as well. Otherwise, that wait is going to be way longer than I'd like.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I got both choices.

I tried Audiobook first, thinking that would be broken down into specific chapters. It's an M4B file, and my burning program didn't recognize it (I think that's an Ipod file?). It was all one file, so expecting a 2 Disk Story I downloaded the MP3 version, and couldn't listen to them, but, was able to burn them. MP3 was the one with Chapter breakdown, and included I believe 3 extra chapters:
    Ch 23 Interviews 1
    Ch 24 Interviews 2
    Ch 25 Interviews 3
    (Plus the Ch 22 Trailer for Voyage to the New World)

So, yea, I got both options for DL_Only and was confused, but, muddled through it, LOL. Not sure if the M4B "audiobook" file will play my computer or not?

3. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

.m4b is specifically an iTunes format (though iTunes is a free download if you don't have it).

4. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Voyage to Venus was great.

It had a very old fashioned 50's sci-fi feel that really worked. I tend not to think much of the audios covers but I thought that was pretty good too.

Nice Pertwee nods in it too.

I got the audio version of Barrowmans Torchwood book. I'll be starting that tomorrow.

5. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you rename it to .m4a or .mp4, any software that supports AAC playback should play it.

(Well, the books from Big Finish. Not books from the iTunes Music Store with DRM on it.)

6. Pindar

I listened to New World today, it was a bit muddled at the very start but overall very enjoyable.

The three of them work very well together.

Ramon Tikaram sounded very like the alchemist from the Pertwee audio from years ago.

7. Sindatur

Oh, is it released finally? Omaha forgot to sound the alarm

Gonna have to log into my BF account tonight and download/burn it

8. Pindar

I actually downloaded it around Christmas. I only just got round to it today.

I was surprised no one else had mentioned it yet.

9. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Awesome! I ordered them back when they were first offered and then totally forgot about this. Downloading now!

10. Sindatur

Heh, yea, I didn't forget about, but, yea, I pre-ordered right away, and was waiting for someone to say it had been released. It would be nice if they could set up an email notification for release of pre-orders, but, hey, you can't beat $1 for an audio story :bolian:

Pindar, yea, it'll be awhile before I get around to either of them. Currently listening to Harry Potter Series and only a little over halfway through Book 5. I figure by the time I finish HP, I'll have Gallifrey S4, both of these, and probably pick up some Colin/Evelyn audios, and have a Whoniverse feast

11. Sindatur

So, I downloaded it and I notice there's a PDF named Vortex 46.pdf, it's a whole newspaper, lots of ads, but, looks to be quite a bit of Interview stuff as well. Do you get this with all/most/many downloads, and I've been ignoring it? If so, I need to re-unzip my other purchases to get to past issues. Just the one that came with this download will be some fun reading material. I assume the "46" is 46th monthly issue?

I generally just go straight to burning the CD and getting rid of the unzipped files, and save the Zip. Since I keep the discs in CD wallets, instead of individual jewel cases, I don't even bother with printing the covers (Maybe 1 day, I'll print them all and put the stack in the Wallets as well

12. OmahaStar

This is what happens if you don't follow my facebook. :P I don't want to post everything here, because it makes me feel like I'm nothing more than a walking advertisement, or shill, for Big Finish.

Vortex is their monthly magazine. A printed version is included with all CD shipments. All current and past issues can be downloaded here - http://www.bigfinish.com/vortex

Do you check your RSS feed for Big Finish? If not, start doing it. You never know when something will show up. The first Voyage tale, for example, showed up just after the first of November, much earlier than scheduled. Typically, I get the download about a week before the CD shows up in the mail.

I thought both Voyage tales were extremely well done, and it makes me want to hear more from Jago and Litefoot.

As I understand it, Sixie meets up with them during their fourth season, set sometime before these two stories.

There is also an upcoming Fourth Doctor story where he also meets up with an older J&L.

13. Sindatur

I don't know about RSS Feeds :alienblush: <Sindatur scribbles down another tech he needs to Google and learn to understand:eek:>

Off to watch the Reconstruction of The Abominable Snowman for the first time (And haven't heard the story, I only know faint hints from later stories)

14. OmahaStar

On the bf site, go to your account. Click on the "Subscribe to RSS" link, either towards the top/center, or on the right side of the screen (they do the same thing).

It will bring up a funny looking page with yellow background. Click the "subscribe" button. It'll ask you where you want to save the favorite. Choose your toolbar, call it BF or something simple.

Then, as long as you stay logged into BF, it will constantly stay updated with your latest available downloads. It'll know about them before you do!

15. Pindar

Having listened to all of those I would suggest the 2 Voyage downloads before Gallifrey.

Actually no, save them, I found S4 dissapointing and these were excellent.

Ooh, look just spotted this: http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/gallifrey-series-5-box-set-784

I didn't think there would be another series of Gallifrey.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  16. Sindatur

Yea, typo, I have Gallifrey S4 already, it was different, and not as good, but, I did enjoy it for a change of pace. I actually meant S5, that comes out in Feb, but, yea, I'll listen to the smaller stuff first and then new Gallifrey

Thanks for the RSS info Omaha

17. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Be really awesome if they would do $1 downloads for the missing episode releases.

18. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Audiogo do downloads of the Missing Stories at some not bad prices. They have Volume 5 of the Lost TV Episodes collection for $14.99 which isn't bad for 6 stories.

19. Pindar

The cd prices from the BBC for the lost stories are outrageous.

20. Sindatur

OK, cool, thanks, I subscribed as I was Pre-Ordering Gallifrey V, and understand how it works :bolian:

Oh, and I just listened to the trailer for Gallifrey V, and now I'm really excited. And S6 apparently comes out in October

Sorry, returning you to Dollar Audios :alienblush:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013