Captain America movie rumor. And the role has been offered to...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SalvorHardin, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No one feels "compelled" to do so. The only "compulsions" under discussion here are the kind of obsessive-compulsive impulses that underlie the objection to colorblind or any other kind of nontraditional or unexpected casting.

I just noticed someone in the "Dragonball Z" topic announcing that they won't see the film because Piccolo isn't green. Exact same nonsense.

2. Nedersong

Nedersong Captain

It's funny that the resistance to change ("OMFG HE'S BEEN TURNED INTO A BLACK WOMAN!") is usually when the character's been changed into a minority of some sort, like Starbuck into a woman, Nick Fury into a black man. Nobody complained when Tigh was turned into a white.

I'd love to see Superman changed into a Muslim.

:devil:

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

You do realize that Muslim is not a race, right?

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

That's because those people who complain about such things were too busy complaining that Starbuck was now a woman. In this case, they are separate characters.

Steve Rogers (and let me emphasize the fact that I said Steve Rogers and not Captain America), however, is a white, blonde, American, Christian man. That's who he is.

If, on the other hand, they wanted to include the previous Captain America, Isiah Bradley, I would be happy to see that.

5. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. stonester1

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^The difference is that Starbuck the male Viper pilot in Battlestar Galactica and Kara Thrace, the female Viper pilot who uses "Starbuck" as a callsign are not the same character. Starbuck wasn't nearly as f***ed up as Kara is for a start.

Steve Rogers, on the other hand, is the same Steve Rogers and Kal-El, the last son of Krypton, is Kal-El.

8. stonester1

They are the same character, just different interpretations of the brash, hotshot pilot who is a bit irresponsible and has problems with authority, but is fundamentally a decent individual. But clearly has issues.

The only difference between the two, besides sex, is that the original series didn't have the time or frankly, inclination to delve deeply into what made Starbuck tick.

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Oh come on, they're clearly different people. Kara Thrace is only partially inspired by the original Starbuck. They're too very different people.

10. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Yeah. TOS Starbuck was a classic hero. Kara is an obnoxious cunt who fly's ships.

11. stonester1

Word is, Smith is actually a scifi/fantasy fan and longtime comics reader. In other words, he's one of us.

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Where does the Christianity bit come into his character? Daredevil and Nightcrawler are the only Marvel Christians I can think of ...

And why can't Will Smith play a Christian?

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^I was referring to the idea of a Muslim Superman.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gotta call BS on that because people certainly did.

15. JM1776

JM1776 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Frankly, I think there should be cries of "Stupidity!" when D.B. Sweeney is cast as anyone.

[On second thought, that's too harsh. He's given some good performances. But ... my goodness ... his directorial debut, Two Tickets to Paradise/Dirt Nap, is horrendous.]

A tad, er ... visceral, but essentially correct.

Will Smith as Captain America would be right up there with Cathy Lee Crosby as Wonder Woman.

Anyone remember that botched abortion?

16. stonester1

God yes. Among it's many sins, Wonder Woman ain't a blond.

And gotta disagree. Kara IS Starbuck. But so is Starbuck.

:)

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Afraid the logic still escapes me. And as someone else said, Muslim is a religion, not a race and religions have nothing to do with physical appearance. There are Arabic and black Christians and there are white Muslims.

But for what it's worth, I do tend to think that actors in comic adaptations should physically resemble the depictions on page, as far as possible, given that it's such a visual medium. Superman should be played by someone in the mould of Chris Reeve or Brandon Routh, not someone who looks like Woody Allen. Captain America ought to look like BRad Pitt or Matthew McConaughey, not Cillian Murphy. So I'm not a massive fan of having a character played by someone of a different race, unless they're clearly the best person for the role - such as Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin. And I think having Nick Fury played by Sam Jackson is brilliant, given that the character has been rebooted to resemble him in the comics anyway.

This whole thread is somewhat academic, given that the original story has now been debunked. But my tuppence is that while Smith is a decent and likeable actor, making Cap America a black man creates an entirely different set of dynamics, introducing issues of racism, both from the Nazis and from America (segregation in the army etc), which aren't part of the original story. These could undoubtedly make for an interesting movie - but they wouldn't be a faithful rendition of the Captain America story, they'd be some sort of alternate universe telling. And I don't see the need to do that, given that the original version is interesting enough in its own right

18. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not that I'm arguing with you, but I find every film adaptation to be an alternate universe retelling of sorts.

An opinion on the Smith as Cap matter offered by a writer at Newsarama.

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

20. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

I was digging through some alternative comics of Captain America and here is an interesting one that Newsarama even posted: Truth: Red, White and Blue, about a black Captain America out of Tuskegee while there was a real Captain America running around as well. I need to find this.