MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So what is NYY's starting rotation? Tanaka, CC, Nova, and who else?

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Kuroda, and the arm of Michael Pineda held together by toothpicks, gum and prayers.

3. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Money doesn't stop their farm system to be devoid of any actual talent.

4. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

That's a management problem not a money problem ;)

So long as they continue buying decent enough players to keep me entertained I'll be fine

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Problem is that it just kinda snowballs. if you overpay on a short deal, you can have it expire and you're fine. Every time you miss on a 6, 7, 8 year deal, you're porked for a while, and the dead money piles up. Last few years of Arod look great right now, huh? Plus gotta still pay for someone to play 3B. What happens if Tanaka is more Igawa than Darvish? Just 7 more years of that, plus the hole in the rotation.

Starts to stack up where you have more dead money in players that are either hurt, old, or terrible (sometimes all 3) than you do in the roster on the field. And they take up 25-man roster spot, so it keeps crunching down there. then you trade any prospects for a quick fix to patch a hole, and further prevent the cheap young players from helping you fix the problem, meaning you have to go overpay for more FAs to limp along. Last year, the Yankee's DL team was probably ranked about 5th in overall MLB payroll :lol:

Honestly, since the Yankees blew up their attempt to get under 189M, surprised they haven't taken another look at Drew yet. They've got garbage at 3B and 2B (or lottery ticket at best, I guess, if you hope Roberts is so concussed that he thinks it's 2006), so you could sell him a full time job, and with Jeter's age and health, Drew could wind up playing SS for the Yankees if Jeter gets hurt again, or is determined to be (more) ineffective in the field and requires more time at DH.

It's a pride/status thing, but could also fix it by having Jeter admit he doesn't really have it at SS anymore, and having HIM move to 3B or 2B. He could probably handle either of those decently, and might prolong his career a little more. Realistically, he probably should have moved for Arod back in 2004, or even to CF after his range dried up, but Captain Intangibles is Shortstop for the New York Yankees, so can't entertain a position change. Then again, even Cal Ripkin Jr. eventually moved to 3B, so it's possible...

6. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I think people worry too much. They have the cash. They just need to flex it. Hopefully their cheap streak is over.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

And that's why people hate the Yankees. They're there only team above having to make sound management decisions because of how much money they have.

8. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Sounds like their problem ;)

9. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

They' missed the playoffs what, twice in the last 19 years?

What's not sound about that?

10. Tom Servo

Well one could argue that with their payroll advantage, if their management was truly sound, they would be in the World Series practically every year. When you are spending that much more then the competition they should win, and that could be considered a failure of management.

Not that I totally agree with such a statement, but the argument should be made.

Also, what I think Aldo is trying to say as well, and I don't want to put words in his mouth, is this is why the Yankees and their fans are hated. It's easy to be a Yankee fan. They're team is great every year, but its not about how they're that much better at the game then anyone else, its just cause they can throw more money at the problem. They don't have to go through what any other fanbase does.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Any team with money is going to be able to use it. Why is this a uniquely Yankee-oriented problem? They're not the only team with a big payroll.

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Because the Yankees (and now the Dodgers) don't hold back with USING the advantage. Plenty of other teams with big payrolls, Red Sox included, but they at least pretend to have a budget, they let people go because of salary demands, and rarely completely blow away the market for a player. Happens on occasion, but it's the rare occasion when the Yankees AREN'T just pulling out the checkbook to fix a problem. To the point where you really don't have any home-grown players to cheer for anymore. Jeter and Gardner? Maybe some fungible bullpen arms, no idea there.

13. Alidar Jarok

The Yankees are heads and shoulders above the rest of the league in revenue and a gives huge support for a salary cap. That's the problem with the Yankees' behavior of "I'll just buy the best the free agents in the market rather than attempt to build a team intelligently." It's the competitive imbalance that has caused every other league to create a salary cap. Do you want that?

14. Yanks

I'll go on later, but it's the players that don't want a salary cap, not the owners.

(and if you were a player, you wouldn't want one either)

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Nor should they.

16. Tom Servo

Well in that case they should be the favorite to win the World Series every year by a fair margin.

17. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

And they have been

18. Alidar Jarok

Steinbrenner wants a salary cap?

19. Yanks

But that's not the case, is it?

By your logic, The Yankees have to win every year.

20. Yanks

Don't know, but it' the player's union that doesn't want one.

If I was an owner, I'd want one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.