A reminder about the 'end of the world' in December...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Candlelight, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Just in case anyone hadn't seen this and were still getting their tin foil hats ready.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...-2012-doomsday-calendar-end-of-world-science/

So I'll see everyone in the 22nd of December as normal. :)

2. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

People thinking the world will end in 2012 because of the Mayan calendar must also think the world will end every year on December 31st, too.

3. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry. I just don't have time for the end of the world right now.

4. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The word ends every year and begins anew. They should just starting printing it on calendars.

Here's a question... whatever happened to those people (idiots) who sold all their shit and quit their jobs and relocated their families because some jackass religious leader told them to a couple of years ago? That was some gut-wrenching stuff and also raised the bar forever for people just generally being supermorons. I mean, it's high comedy that some well-to-do adults did that but to royally fuck up their children's lives based on dogmatic idealistic nonsense is sad beyond words.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

A hippie told me the other day that it is not the end, it's a cosmic shift in our consciousness. Which sounds exhausting.

6. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Good point!
    Plus: neither the Mayas nor Revelation mention fog in connection with the end of the world. So as long as we have this dreadful weather, we'll be absolutely safe :D
    In Bavaria, we're having a drizzly fog/foggy drizzle for almost 2 weeks now - looks like we're an especially safe place. (But then we are anyway, as rumours state Bavaria was made of the bits god had left when he created paradise. So we're not really a part of Earth, technically, and hence won't have an Armageddon.)

7. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

can't believe anyones dumb enough to go for this 'end of the world' bullshit nowadays. but they still exist, and statistically they're most likely to be americans. which isn't a surprise.

no offense to the many sane, intelligent americans out there, but your country seems to have a surplus of foolishness.

8. rhubarbodendron

Without meaning to offend the Americans, I wholeheartedly agree. Just think of all these creationists, for example. I'm a biologist - my job is to watch evolution at work. Creationism being actually taught at schools makes me want to scream.
    At a time where it has been confirmed that even the universe has its borders, it seems that human stupidity is the only absolutely infinite item.

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Americans do seem more end times obsessed. Even the Rapture is an American invention and the vocal churches there seem to focus far more on their being an end time, Revelations, judgement etc.. than churches in Australia or the UK.

Of course the Americans have also come up with lots of great science fiction so maybe this predisposition has its advantages.

10. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

It's a way of controlling the masses. Be good and you'll survive the end of days.

Same goes for Christmas, be good or Santa won't come.

11. rhubarbodendron

hmm, is Santa even political correct, nowadays? An old overweight Kaukasian male, dressed in ancient costume with fur trimmings who has kids sit on his lap and gives them sweets - the true miracle of Christmas is that neither African Americans nor Hispanics, Asians or Native Americans, animal rights activists and child protection officials, dentists and healthcare services haven't tried to abolish him yet. Not to mention the women's rights front and the non-christian religious groups in the US.

12. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember thinking the world was ending whilst watching the movie 2012, if only because it was so godawful

13. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

What, you mean the world's NOT going to end on my 30th birthday? :p (And yes, 21 Dec 2012 IS my 30th birthday.)

14. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

My Calendar is faulty. It goes up to the 31st. Silly calender.

15. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm ready for the Apocralypse. But only if it involves robots, zombies, ninjas or alien lizard infiltrators.

16. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

You mean, politics and/or religions? ;)

17. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

We're one screwed up nation, aren't we?;):bolian:

18. rhubarbodendron

Lovably bizarre, I'd say :) Must be all these Britons among your ancestors and their spleen-genes :p

As a member of The Four Horsepersons Of The Internet I can assure you that we won't ride on Dec 21st. We'll be way too busy writing Christmas cards, icing cookies and doing last minute shopping.

19. Grey

Grey Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The world was already SUPPOSED to end in October 2011!

I want my money back.

20. rhubarbodendron

Sorry about the delay.
    At the moment there are several galaxies colliding in your vicinity. Due to this extraordinary increase in demand, we are experiencing a temporary shortage of armageddons. (Also, Famine is ill in bed with indigestion and War is busy in Israel and Palestine.) As a result, your order has been delayed and will be executed as soon as possible. We want you to know this is not the quality of experience we wish to offer you and appreciate your patience during this time of exciting growth of our business.
    We apologize for the inconvenience.