Season 6 Birthright

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Hawkeye_90, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Hawkeye_90

Hawkeye_90 Lieutenant Red Shirt

What is the back story of this episode is there one? Did this launch ds9 or air after the show was on the air. Was there some special reason why Dr. Bashir is the only one from DS9 that is in the episode?

2. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

It aired after; about seven weeks after the DS9 premiere. You can read a lot more here.

3. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Bashir was available because his character had been 'removed' from the game in the episode Move Along Home, and the actor was available. Terry Farrell was supposed to be in the episode instead.

4. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The biggest question about this eps: Why was it a two-parter?
    The second biggest question about this eps: Why was it a DS9 crossover?

5. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Birthright,_Part_I_(episode)

Michael Piller suggested to break the story into two parts, believing that there was too much story to tell in one episode. He commented, "Because this was season six, the season of taking risks, of not being afraid of doing things Star Trek hadn't done before, I said 'Why not do another two-parter? Why wait until the end of the season or wait for a Spock? If a story justifies being bigger than an hour, let's do it.' I had been very happy with the results of "Chain of Command" and I said to Rick we should do it and he said fine. I also felt, much mistakenly as it turned out to be, that we would be able to save money if we expanded it into two hours by using the sets twice."

Using a great new set and location never before used on TNG that doesn't hurt the budget, adds a bit of connective tissue to the universe and allows for a guest actor already part of the franchise is really a second biggest question?

6. jimbotron

I enjoy part 1, but I loathe part 2. A wholly unpleasant episode. I would have preferred a single episode with the Data A-plot, with a different B-plot. The stuff with Worf and the camp didn't work for me, especially when it had a whole episode to itself.

7. SchwEnt

Yes, but Worf's story could have been fit into one eps and Data's story into a separate eps. As it is, Data's story gets very little screentime in Part Two anyway. Really no need to tie them together into a two part eps.

And DS9 and TNG are the only two series that could have a big crossover eps, without straining credulity. And this was it? It doesn't even concern DS9 at all! So crossover just for the hell of it? So pointless! Could have at least given DS9 some purpose, involve Ro and the Maquis, something.

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

None at all, you mean? :)

9. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

There were no Maquis at this point. DS9 had only just premiered.

10. SchwEnt

Okay, then something with Bajorans and Cardassians, both established in TNG and DS9. Some story where DS9 and its characters play a role in the story alongside TNG.

Aside from the DS9 pilot, this was the only crossover eps with TNG.
    They did nothing with it.

11. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

True, that was the only direct crossover (well, those episodes and the TNG episode in which Riker contacts Quark), but we did get an indirect crossover story arc in TNG season seven/DS9 season two with the development of the Maquis. If I remember the sequence right it started with TNG's "Journey's End," continued on DS9 in "The Maquis" two-parter, and went back to TNG for "Preemptive Strike." It's not really much of an arc, but one story leads to the next which leads to the next, and the character of Gul Evek gets a little bit of a character arc running through both series. (He subsequently shows up in VOY's pilot episode.)

12. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know. After reading your post I do believe the appearance of DS9 would have been more appropriate in Chain of Command. Could even have had Kira join Picard's infiltration team for her expertise at subterfuge.

13. PaleMoonlight

PaleMoonlight Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Always disappointed me how they left the Data story in part 1, could have expanded on that nicely. I loved the abstract dream sequences, part 1 is much better for it.

14. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't a part of the point of Chain of Command to have set up the events that were seen in DS9: Emissary? So the Cardassians hadn't quite left Terok Nor at this point in the series (although I think it's mentioned in Part 2 that they're going to). Nor was the Bajoran provisional government in place yet, nor was Kira Nerys anything more than a freedom fighter.

15. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

They pretty much only added Bashir in that episode to remind TNG fans that DS9 exists.

16. jimbotron

To me, it was like Generations. Just add whatever TOS crew members are agreeable and available to put into the movie.

17. Hawkeye_90

Hawkeye_90 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Actually after finishing the second part, the two episodes seem rather randomly put together and even the idea of location is a bit odd.

18. jimbotron

Yeah, this is probably the shoddiest 2-parter in all of Trek in terms of execution. When they started, they obviously didn't have the end mapped out yet, so it all comes off as random.

19. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I see where you guys are all coming from and I agree, the plot lines, characters and settings are somewhat randomly compiled. But still, when I was younger I loved "Birthright", because we got to see the TNG characters walk the DS9 set.

Plus, I always liked Bashir, so I never really perceived him as a substitute. All in all, I don't think the episodes are all that bad. Granted, it doesn't really work as a two-parter, but the single plot threads are rather interesting when looked at them individually.

20. jimbotron

It made more sense for Data to appear with Dax, especially season 1 Dax who hadn't been given any characterization yet. She was basically DS9's Spock/Data at the time.

Bashir in TNG acted too much like a giddy idiot. Granted, early Bashir was a giddy idiot.