DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't one of the points of Captain Marvel was that Billy WAS a good kid, who deserved the power of Shazam? Which is why he was granted it in the first place? This version came across nothing like that. I still kind of liked the story though.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yeah, it was pretty good till Billy went off the rails. Didn't care for the Sivana redesign.

3. Admiral_Young

Sivana reminded me of an older Luthor.

4. Nerys Myk

As played by David Cross. ;)

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Wonder Woman #7 I think really explains why the Diana in JLA is rather naive. Given that she has been fed a pack of lies for her whole entire life of where she came and the very nature of the Amazons, the depiction in JLA does kind of fit. It's also interesting that Azarello and Chiang are discarding most of the idealized view of the Amazons in previous versions as egalitarian and above the patriarchy and going for a more Greek mythology centric portrayal of the Amazons.

6. Admiral_Young

Agreed about "Wonder Woman". I'm totally loving it. Will be getting the trade when it comes out in June or July I think.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I guess I'm in the minority by being extremely bored by JL #7. And why the hell is Hal still being an immature dick five years later when he's not like that in his own book?

I'm not also not nuts about their decision to make Billy Batson a cool rebel bad boy.

8. Admiral_Young

Supergirl #7: The opening arc finally concludes. I'm still very much up in the air about this book. Not sure to drop it or not. I understand what the writing teams motives are with this character and that they're exploring taking Kara from one chaotic situation to another, but I've not really liked it. Limited contact with her cousin, whom one would logically think should still have been trying to search for someone from his own world. I also understand this lack of contact...due to the upcoming self-contained event in the Super Family of books. I guess things will start to settle themselves after this or during this, as Clark finally deals with no longer being alone. I still like the new redesign though and the art has been consistent all the way through.

Batman #7: This continues to be absolutely fabulous. Any reservations I have had about this story continue to be pushed aside, simply due to Snyder's sheer genius and writing ability. I agree this is the best book of the New 52 (I'd edge it over Action Comics even, which you all know I'm a huge fan of). Not sure it was necessary for Bruce to knock his own son over but he has been through a great deal. Interesting with the woman...this is going to be a fascinating summer for Batman.

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

nah, i didn't care for the issue either. the Shazam back up was far more interesting.

10. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Wonder Woman, great as always, with a possible revelation about the nature of the magic lasso (which contradicts an ongoing joke in Justice League). And in Justice League, Batman apparently loathes the JLI, which at least appears to contradict his actions in that title (until I stopped reading it). I'm sensing a theme here, in which the biggest titles aren't quite adding up. But both books were good reads (not sure about that Shazam back-up).

Red Hood and the Outlaws: anyone waiting to hear where Raven is in this new DC, you might want to read this - there's an overt mention of Trigon, and a character who is called something else but could be read as a radical re-design of Raven. And if Raven is, as we've been told, linked to Pandora, Red Hood might be a more important/core title than it first appeared.

Less spoiler-y, I really like the structure of Red Hood: seven issues in and it's taking its time with the overall plot, while the mini-arcs feed into the main story organically. It feels, on that level, like the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans or mid-70s Spider-man.

11. Hound of UIster

It seems to be less about the lasso and more about WW in that the lasso may be an extension of her nature and her demigod status much like the staff of Hermes or the guns of Eros are extensions of their natures. But interesting that it's not about truth, but rather intimidation.

12. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed, and I wonder this is in fact not a contradiction but a statement about Hal Jordan - is he more easily led than the pre-52 version?

It's also potentially a really interesting take on the original Wonder Woman's weird psycho-sexual dynamic?

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Batman: Good book it's probably still the best of the Batman books so far, though I still think this one is wavering a bit and needs to get more back to look/feel it had that caused me to latch onto it so much in the first place.

Supergirl: Very good and highly enjoyed it.

Catwoman: The new artist(s) in this book are pretty terrible, or at least worse than the ones that were on this book before. Yikes! Story was okay.

Wonder Woman: This one continues to be a big, fat, "Meh" for me.

14. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Agreed. It was more of an issue about Steve Trevor than the JL.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I re-read "Catwoman" and found it better -first time I read through it I was sort of tired and didn't focus on it. The art in it I still find meh over the previous artist(s.)

Giving "Wonder Woman" a second read-through and I found it much better as well and may still stick with it, it's still on the line for what's on my pull list (it's not on my automatic pulls, for example, through Comicology) but this issue was pretty decent.

16. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Now that I think about it, why is Hal Green Lantern in Justice League #7? He's been cast out of the Corps. The ring he has was left with him by Sinestro with no charge, and he's completely at the mercy of Sinestro to use it.

17. Nerys Myk

Don't care. I pays my money to see a GL in JLA and that GL better be Hal. Strict continuity is a chumps game.

18. Hound of UIster

The story in JLA takes place 5 years in the past.

19. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah, JUSTICE LEAGUE is caught up to present day now.

20. Admiral_Young

Yep. The origin story took place five years in the past. I also noticed that the solitics for issue seven teased new team mates, new villains, but we didn't actually get that in the issue. I also found it slightly amusing that everyone other than Hal refers to Batman for direction, implying to me that he is the defaco leader of the team, which makes sense. It also doesn't make sense that since we're in the present that Bruce is acting like an ass still since he really hasn't been portrayed that way in "Batman". Intense and overbearing yes, but not an ass hole. I still find it a little hard to believe that Hal and Bruce would still antagonize each other after all these years...I know Bruce really disliked and lost respect for Hal after the Parallax incident but they still had some moments together that were light. Even written by Geoff Johns, like the "Brave and the Bold" comment from Hal in "Infinite Crisis" which drew a smile from Bruce, but I forgot...those crises did not occur now in the 52'Verse. Unless I'm mistaken or they've changed their mind about that.