Spoilers TTN: Synthesis by James Swallow Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Julio Angel Ortiz, Oct 18, 2009.

?

Grade "Synthesis"

1. Excellent

33 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Above Average

39 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Average

14 vote(s)
    15.1%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. Poor

5 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Titan - Synthesis: Discuss / Grade <SPOILERS>

That's why I hate NF--it's a frakking parody, and shouldn't even be marketed as real Trek.

2. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Indeed; allow me to assist...

First, thanks for all the positive commentary, chaps. And as I’m here, I’ll address some points...

Yeah, I went there. There’s always a few nerd-gags in everything I do. No-one’s found the LOLcat or Flight of the Conchords references yet?

I didn’t see that as a technobabble solution, more of using the right tool for the right job – like, say, using silver to kill a werewolf...

I always intended that the avatar would leave the ship at the end of the story, to achieve (as Judith Sisko rightly says elsewhere in this thread) a state of synthesis in order to save the day. I recall Marco Palmieri and I briefly discussing the idea of keeping her around, but we both agreed it was going over ground Peter David was already treading in New Frontier. The avatar’s final sacrifice is poignant and makes her more human, I feel.

Regarding Zurin Dakal...

In all honesty, I just didn’t have time to get to it.

Both. Being Cardassian, he suffered through it stoically. The avatar helps him heal by reintegrating the mis-beamed elements when he returns to the Titan.

I had no input on the art, and to be honest I think it’s rather misleading; but there’s this old adage about book covers and not judging...

3. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:rolleyes: Yeah, because heaven forbids that there's diversity in the Trek line.

It's sad that so many people forget that all the Book Only series everyone loves so much most likely wouldn't be represented so prominent without NF breaking the ice for them.

4. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

damn! there's a new one out!

yay :D

5. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Diversity is one thing, a series devoted to PAD's injokes is quite another. It seems rather self-serving.

6. Nerys Ghemor

BINGO. It's...well, fanwanking. In a pretty literal sense.

BTW, to Mr. Swallow, I actually think not acknowledging that potential "relationship" with Hsuuri (or Hriss?) was a good move and I'm glad you didn't fix them up. ;) I just don't think he was ready and I truly couldn't see them as a couple, either. Tolerance and even appreciation of others and their cultural values is one thing and Zurin seems VERY good at that (I LOVED his setting the whole "crustacean vs. arachnid" thing straight!)...being a couple is a whole other animal.

I'm not sure who I see him with, though. On the other hand, I don't think everybody HAS to be "with" somebody in order to be a complete person, either. He's young and possibly has a lifespan longer than a human would--he's got more than enough time to relax and wait for the right person to come along. ;)

7. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An the only reason the series is running for more than 12 years now, and has outlived series that started way later, is because S&S wants to stroke PAD's ego by giving him an outlet for his "self-serving" jokes, not because it's successful, well written Trek fiction, or what?

You two don't enjoy it, fine, but that's no reason to say it isn't Trek like Nerys Ghemor did.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

If Charlie's Angels and The Love Boat can co-exist in the same universe as Fantasy Island, If the X-Files can co-exist in the same universe as the Law and Order franchise and still be "real", then New Frontier can co-exist with the other Trek series and still be considered "real" Star Trek as well.

9. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Never said I didn't enjoy PAD's work, but he can get carried away with himself at times. A strong editor could keep him reigned in when needed but I've often felt that PAD simply does his own thing.

10. Nerys Ghemor

What?! Those are all separate series under different names and franchises entirely. How does that have any bearing on Star Trek, which is all one united franchise?

If NF were labeled as a parody of Star Trek, that would be one thing. But it simply does not fit in with any of the other series; it's just one author's self-indulgence, far more like the Hitchhiker's Guide than a Star Trek novel.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

He's referring to crossover episodes between those shows. There was a Charlie's Angels episode set on the ship from The Love Boat, and there was a mutual crossover between TLB and Fantasy Island. And Detective Munch from Law and Order: SVU (who was originally in Homicide: Life on the Streets) once appeared in an episode of The Lone Gunmen, a spinoff of The X-Files.

12. CaseyF

CaseyF Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Actually, it was an episode of The X-Files featuring the origin of the Lone Gunmen (it aired a few years before they got their spin-off).

And just to chime in on the NF discussion, I'm a long-time PAD fan and I love the unique voice he brings to the Trek universe.

And slightly more on-topic, I'm also a Titan and James Swallow fan, and am looking forward to Synthesis. Which I've yet to have a chance to read. :)

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

A fun little fact: As of his upcoming appearance on on Paris enquêtes criminelles (the French adaptation of L&O: Criminal Intent, he will hold the record with for the most appearances of a single actor as the same character on different TV show. He actually holds the record now at eight, but it will be an even bigger record (obviously) after this next appearce.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Actually, it was a Lone Gunmen centered episode of the X-Files called Unusual Suspects, not an episode of TLG.

http://x-files.wikia.com/wiki/Unusual_Suspects

15. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

My local Chapter's finally got their copies in, and I've got it now. I've already started another trek book (SGR: Oblivion), so I've got a decision to make...:confused:. I'll be back once I've read it ;)

16. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

It took buying three copies (the first was left on my boat and is stuck in winter storage and the second copy was destroyed when I accidently left it outside), but I finally finished the book.

Anyway, it was worth the extra time and money. Normally I'm not a big fan of stories involving AI sentience, but I enjoyed this one. White-Blue really grew on me. Not enough to completely erase my AI bigotry, but enough to make me hope the character becomes a regular in the Titan series.

17. Geoff Thorne

Geoff Thorne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was Hsuuri and it was never meant to be an undying soul connection (just something for other writers to pick or not as they chose). I agree, those are rare and, on TITAN at least, most people seem to realize that shipboard romance is best kept casual and brief.

Quite enjoying Mr. Swallow's yarn so far. I really love this ship and this crew. So far it seems the other writers do as well.

18. Nerys Ghemor

For some reason I just picture Cardassians having a hard time with the concept of "casual and brief." When they go into a relationship, from what I've observed, it seems to be very serious. So, personally I just figured Dakal would rather be single than go into a fling that he knew wasn't going to be permanent.

I'm not so sure shipboard romance HAS to be a fling, though--but it takes two very committed parties, and I'm not sure how many of the cultures there, besides Cardassians (and I'm not even really counting humanity) accept that concept anymore.

But then I'm old-fashioned. I like marriage stories, seeing people in it for the long haul and really putting the work into the relationship to make it last. (Which is one reason I like Riker/Troi.) Maybe that's one reason I identify with Cardassians--they seem to look at things the same way. (Dukat doesn't count. That man was SICK.)

19. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have been enjoying this book so far. Couldn't stop reading the book at all this week. I was like I'm going to end it before I even get a chance to write something or whatever.

I'm glad to see that Pava has been getting more time again. I'm just waiting to see if someone will eventually mention her Omega Squad teammates at some point.

20. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^That'd be great! I would love to find out where Decker, T'Priell, and Astrun wound up.

The look of the novel is very misleading. I had it sitting around at work, and everyone who saw it would start, then see the Star Trek logo, and then tell me that they were shocked with the idea of me reading a trashy romance novel.

Oh, and great book!