Stargate SG-1 - First time viewing of whole series

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Captain Craig, Sep 25, 2012.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but then Anubis does say "this one is all me," and blows up a planet. Effectively doing damage-control to his shattered reputation.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

So this was intended to be the series finale?
    Really, didn't feel that way at all but it does help with the title.

So it was a "Valentine to the fans" type series finale it seems. Did they think they might finish up the saga back on the big screen?

3. The Wormhole

As I understand, the plan was to have a theatrical movie which would double the purpose of wrapping SG-1 up and setting up for Atlantis. But then SG-1 got renewed for another season and that got abandoned. Though the movie's storyline is worked into SG-1 later on.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

At least it doesn't sound like a punch to the gut when it's said about SG1 S6 Finale

5. Captain Craig

Was fandom alright with the finale at the time cause it left plenty of questions out there?

Did they know a movie was allegedly forthcoming, thus they didn't feel like they were getting left hanging like the end of Farscape either?

This far in now and seeing how Asgardians influenced the Scandanavian peoples and Gou'alds became the embodiement of the Egyptian gods along with others like Babylon, Caananites, Hu is an Asian god then(?) and I think I recall a mention of Aztec or Mayan at one point right? I'm looking outward towards Atlantis and wondering if the reason no one can find it is because it was another alien race that just left as well, removing all traces. Not really wanting a solid answer but if I'm in the ballpark or way off base I'd take that kind of hint.

6. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

I'm pretty sure we already knew about both movies before the end.

7. Captain Craig

Should I watch a tele-film first before starting Season 7 then?

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

No, the first one is basically The Series Finale (S10 Ep20 did not tie up the main Arc), and the second one kind of expands on something you don't even know about. Watch the two movies, after you finish all 10 seasons

9. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

What was originally supposed to be the movie became the season 7 finale, essentially.

10. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

There are a couple of Central American mentions. Zipacna (Klorel's attorney) bears the name of a Mayan deity. Hathor was Egyptian but was found in a sarcophagus in a Mayan temple, having apparently ruled there for a while after getting kicked out of Egypt. One wonders what kind of history she shares with Zipacna.

The Giant Alien from "Crystal Skull" is Quetzalcoatl, an Aztec deity. We don't know much about him, but he's obviously anti-Goa'uld. Interestingly, all this suggests that the Mayans were directly influenced by the Goa'uld and the Aztecs were not (unless the Goa'uld took over the Aztecs after somehow getting rid of Q).

11. gturner

gturner Admiral

The should have had one alien who was the basis of Santa Claus, on an ice planet full of presents, of course.

12. The Wormhole

"Ho Ho Ho! Have you been a good boy this year, Teal'c?"
    "Indeed."

13. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

"W-w-w-w-Jack--"
    "Aw, for crying out loud. W-w-w-w- WHAT?!"
    "Uh, well, the writing of these aliens matches some Asgard inscriptions we recovered from Ernest Littlefield's world. The runic aspects of the script on the 'naughty' and 'nice' lists--"
    "Daniel!"
    The association with northern cultures, the legends of elves, the giving of gifts to the deserving, well, you see where this is going of course."
    "Daniel, if you keep talking, I swear I'll wind up on the permanent 'naughty' list."

14. gturner

gturner Admiral

^ Both excellent. :)

It's cool how ten seasons of watching lets us internalize the character's dialog so well!

Anyway, you know Dr. Who would've totally went there. :cool:

15. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember the Stargate TAS had an Aztec based Goa'uld villan. Had an ornate ziggurat shaped pyramid ship.

16. Captain Craig

Season 7

7x1-Fallen: As punishment(?) for his intended intervention on behalf of SG-1/Earth with Anubis Daniel Jackson is Descended(?) back to corporeal form. Removed of his memory on a planet unknown to SG-1. Until, Jonas whose been studying the tablet intensely stumbles upon a thought about The Ancients and their Lost City. He's able to deduce that they likely have the coordinates to the Lost City that contains the advanced weapons and tech. About this time a plan is devised with the Tok'ra to plant a fake tablet that Anubis will follow to the Lost City. The SCC intends to enlist Lord Yu's help in defeating Anubis. Anubis finds the tablet and indeed heads to the planet. Lord Yu does not arrive to help, shocker!, and while Daniel and Jonas had been waiting for the right moment on Anubis' ship to strike, when Yu appeared, they are instead stranded. With Jonas captured and Daniel fleeing in the vents.
    Solid season opener I thought.

7x2-Homecoming: That Anubis is one dirty rotten scoundrel. After probing Jonas' mind he finds out his home world has a very lucrative stock of unstable naqradria(sp). The arrival of Anubis has coincided during cessations of the 3 main powers who've apparently been at war with each other. On the ship Daniel manages to free Jonas and they begin planning their escape. Meanwhile SG-1 is talking to the Gate occupied power, Jonas' people, the Celowans(sp). One of the Celowans makes a betrayal move and allies himself with Anubis in exchange for a crystal of information that has the process for stabilizing and enhancing the naqradria on their planet. During a firefight for the crystal Jonas takes a grazing shot meant to mortally take out Daniel. The other powers on the planet are informed about the Gate, how could they not be when a giant alien ship drops out of the atmosphere, and agree to work with Earth/SGC as long as Jonas is their liason.
    One of the great things about this episode was that Jonas lives. JONAS LIVES!! Glad they avoided the cliche of killing him as I grew to like him as well. I hope that doesn't mean in 1-2 appearances later he's killed. Great nod to the title, a homecoming for both Daniel and Jonas. Great episode two-parter!!

7x3-Fragile Balance: LOKI!! Damn that god of mischief!! O'Neill is cloned but the clone fails to mature and is stuck as a 15/16yr old boy. Seems that O'Neill's DNA holds some great key to the Asgards problems but no one had taken action as Jack has become something of an untouchable rock star to their people. This doesn't stop Loki though while the other Asgards are busy dealing with the aftermath of the Replicators situation. It's revealed that Loki's procedure was so imperfect that "mini-me" Jack's DNA is breaking down and he will inevitably die. Thor eventually shows up, fixed the problem and now we essentially have two Jack O'Neill's running around. I found this unique twist on the "Freaky Friday" body swap type of stock episode to be uniquely well done. I do kinda wonder if we'll see teenage Jack ever again.

7x4-Orpheus: The episode starts with SG-1 in retreat from a Jaffa attack. Coming through the Gate Teal'C is blasted and severely injured. Daniel tries to help Teal'C recover from his injury by tapping into his time as an Ascended one. During this meditation a vision is had showing his son and Master Bratec being held in a concentration planet. A recovered Teal'C now as a reason to be and joins SG-1 on a mission to this planet that is uncovered after some usual last minute SG-1 maneuverings. The concentration camp is mining naquida to fuel a top level Gou'ald ship called Erebus. An assault led by Carter is made on the ship, sabotaging it's anti-grav units and that is used as a distraction by O'Neill and ground forces to fee the Jaffa prisoners. While a good episode on it's own it was the weaker of these 3, on any other disc it might've been the strongest. That's just how good the other 3 were, great opening disc for the season.

17. The Wormhole

I remember the ending of Fragile Balance upsset a lot of people when it aired. After all, he might be in a teenage body, but the O'Neill clone is basically still a man in his fifties and by hanging out with teenagers he's basically a "wolf in sheep's clothing."

I don't quite agree with that assessment, though I never did understand why he wanted to re-do high school.

18. Captain Craig

Young clone Jack asked Orig Jack that question, "Didn't you ever want to go back and do it all over knowing what you know now?"
    Orig Jack says, "No".

To me this is perhaps the first indication that clone Jack is beginning to think as a unique person with new thoughts vs during the episode he had continued to behave as Orig Jack.

Clone Jack now realizes he needs to find a way to stand apart and by doing high school, even with the advantage he has, he'll redefine himself as a unique individual.

That was what I took from the exchange in the truck at episode end.

It was a bit too convenient that a group of girls instantly started taking to him, but whatever.

19. gturner

gturner Admiral

I've thought the clone O'Neill in fragile balance could be handy for rebooting the series, as long as the actor looks passably like a young Richard Dean Anderson.

20. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

I always interpreted clone Jack's question as impossible for older original Jack to properly answer.

Its fairly obvious from the get go that even if Clone Jack doesnt wind up dead by the end he wont be able to remain a part of the stargate program. He has all of the memories, military knowledge and experience of older Jack but he's physically too young for anyone to accept him having the same rank and level of respect accorded to older Jack. If it was scientific expertise they could handwave it because you do get prodigies in real life who get university qualifications in their early teens but its military knowledge that young Jack has and that cant be handwaved in the same way. He would have to start from the lowest level and earn his way back up through the ranks once he was old enough to enlist.

This means that young clone Jack has to consider his future away form the military/stargate program and what its going to be and realises that he is in a unique position where he can go back and do it over if he wants.

Older Jack isnt in that position. He was the first choice for the stargate program presicely because of his knowledge and experience and therefore has never had to sit down and seriously consider what he would want to do if denied a place in not only the stargate program but the military as a whole. His answer to young Jacks question is no simply because the possibility of going back and doing it over differently has never occurred to him.

That said young Jack doesnt really get much choice about going back and doing it over. His options are limited as he cant be part of stargate command or the military but has too much knowledge of the stargate program to be let loose completely and obviously is not a normal teenager. I always got the impression that young Jack was gonna try a different route than military maybe put that intelligence that older Jack likes to pretend is nonexistent to proper use.

It would have been awesome if he married Cassandra rejoined the military and ended up running the stargate program once he had reached a suitable rank. Either that or he does military service for a bit then goes into politics and becomes that guy on the other side of the red phone :P