Predicting the Tron critical reception

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RAMA, Dec 12, 2010.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

So let me guess right now before the reviews come pouring in...despite the 28 year difference, I think the reviews will DUPLICATE the 1982 reviews for Tron..."soulless, bad script, flashy but pointless," etc etc. Sad to say but I think they just won't "get it" once again. I just wanted it on the record before the movie came out.

RAMA

2. ProtoAvatar

ProtoAvatar Fleet Captain

You haven't even watched the movie and you're so eager to criticise it?

Apparently, your opinion is already formed - by your bias, not by the movie itelf.

3. Joy

Joy Commodore Commodore

Ummm... I guess you've not been to Rotten Tomatoes, 'cause Tron's already got tons of reviews. So far it's at 68% fresh, so sure, not the best, but a lot of the "negative" reviews aren't the most negative one might find.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10011582-TRON_legacy/

4. Joy

Joy Commodore Commodore

Ummm... I guess you've not been to Rotten Tomatoes, 'cause Tron's already got tons of reviews. So far it's at 68% fresh, so sure, not the best, but a lot of the "negative" reviews aren't the most negative one might find.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10011582-TRON_legacy/

5. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you missed his point.

His bias is in assuming that it's going to be a good movie, and that reviewers will be too blind to see it, not that he thinks it'll be bad.

:shifty:

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Armond White hates it, that means it's good. :)

7. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Preemptive thread is preemptive..

8. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I find myself totally uncaring about this new movie.
    There seems, in my opinion, to be too much of that unwarranted anticipation that goes with a movie that only seems to 'look cool'.
    I watched one of the trailers but didn't catch what the gist of the plot was. So I can't find myself getting excited about it.

It sort of feels like Snakes on a Plane where people say it's going to be awesome because it's Snakes on a Plane dammit.

But that's just me.

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

its Tron damn it! in 3deeeeeee! :p

10. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I don't know anyone who thought Snakes on A Plane was awesome. The nicest thing I ever heard about that movie was that Samuel L. Jackson was awesome (which he was--It's just too bad the movie couldn't keep up with him).

The plot made perfect sense to me, and I've been looking forward to a sequel since I was about fifteen. I have every intention of seeing this movie the moment it comes out.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like the critics are all saying the exact same thing: lame, derivative story (which starts to really drag halfway through), and not nearly enough action, but amazing 3D effects (except for CG Jeff Bridges, which they all find distractingly weird).

Oh well. I'll probably still check it out, if only for the effects and score.

12. ProtoAvatar

ProtoAvatar Fleet Captain

At rottentomatoes, Tron it's 66% fresh.

This means "all" the critics who are saying "lame, derivative story (which starts to really drag halfway through)[...]" are outnumbered by the ones giving positive reviews.

13. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Tron is a thrilling cinematic spectacle with a story that doesn't quite manage to keep pace with its visuals.

Oh, and I haven't seen the film yet.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah but if you actually read those positive reviews, they basically say the only reason to see the movie is for the effects. There's only a couple so far that seem to love the movie unconditionally.

15. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    I think you should the original post again.

RAMA was predicting what THE CRITICS would say.

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

For what it's worth, RT's score right now is based on 43 reviews, roughly a third to a quarter of the number they'll most likely end up with when all the reviews are in based on the number of reviews older recent releases have, and there's only 3 "top critic" reviews, not enough to draw a conclusion but 2/3s of them are "Rotten", meaning most of these positive reviews are likely from JoeBlowLovesMovies.com

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

What if it really is soulless, has a bad script, and is flashy but pointless?

Yeah. But sometimes the critics say things based on reality. :rommie:

So if the movie really is bad, that means the reviews will be good? :wtf:

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If this movie is bad, Armond White's review will be good. :lol:

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Really, Armond White is the most reliable review there is. In-that the movie will be the opposite of whatever he says.

20. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Who the hell cares what critics think?

And I say that as someone who has written movie reviews at different points in his career.

Heh.