Blu-Ray updates to TNG

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by easyzebra, Feb 16, 2012.

1. easyzebra

easyzebra Cadet Newbie

2. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

So long as the originals are available in a viable medium, what's the problem with releasing editions with HD, alterations, and so forth? It's not like Groppler Zorn shoots first.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

If those are the five most notable changes, I can't find much to complain about. #5 is just an example of proper color correction, #4 seems to be an example of greater detail being visible, #2 seems to be fixing a minor continuity error, and #1 is fixing a minor production problem. If the biggest change we can find is a blinking light that's missing...I'm okay with that.

4. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

I don't know what to think of that article. I certainly didn't find the correction of the colors, the better looking starfield on the viewscreen that hides the fact that it's a black fabric curtain and the visible "Tom" carved into the tree annoying. And the correction of the Bussard collector certainly is a good thing. I agree, the missing blinking light - doesn't bug me.

I also don't write those article because I'm angry about what CBS or Paramount are doing and I want the old things back, but just because I find it interesting to see, what was changed and which small details are visible all of a sudden. So, that's what it's like when you're misrepresented by the media...

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

*Yawn* Those are the best they could come up with? #4 isn't even a change.

6. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is that a joke article?

notsureifserious.jpg

7. easyzebra

easyzebra Cadet Newbie

I don't think there's any misrepresentation. The first half of the article is a general feeling among fans of SW and ST that originals are fine just as they are.
    The second half starts with "The editor of Ex Astris Scientia, Bern Schneider, said at this stage, he wasn't too perturbed by the changes" and continuesd along that line to the end. It then says he doesn't get hate mail and the changes add to the realism.
    The point of the article is pretty much that TNG fans are much more amenable to change than SW fans. Surely?

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The 'article' does seem to have a generally whining tone but their aim seems a little scattershot.

After pointing out five changes they say, "It's not all annoying interference and unnecessary tweaking, however. Seen in high-def, the extra detail can also reveal some interesting details:"

Which would mean that the stuff listed up to that point is annoying interference and unnecessary tweaking in their opinion.

9. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

It's a joke people!

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Hell, the color-correction on the nacelle Bussard collectors isn't even a change it's just something that came through with the better quality of film! Do they really think that the original producers has blue BC's on the 2-foot model but red ones on the 6-foot? No, there's many shots of the 2-foot model where the colors are all weird usually with the Bussard collectors/warp field grids taking on the color of something else in the shot. Just an oddity of using videotape, the film makes the "real colors" come through.

11. gaghyogi49

When I read the caption of the first screenshot:

"In the digitally remastered Encounter at Farpoint, the leaves rustle and the stream runs. MEDDLERS!"

I thought this was meant as a joke, too. When I read the rest of the article I wasn't so sure anymore ;-)

Well, this will be forgotten tomorrow, I'll continue writing those articles for all the other TNG episodes, once the season boxes are released. :-)

Jörg

12. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Groppler Zorn never shot at all!

He was a victim of Starfleet meddling. All so Picard could film space jellyfish having sex.

13. gaghyogi49

Well, from the Q Continuum perspective, the two jellyfish aliens DID have sex towards the end of the episode, making the whole bridge crew and Groppler Zorn voyeurs ;-)

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gender

14. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Christ, someone needs to proofread that article (linked to in the original post)... is grammar on the endangered species list?

15. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Maybe, both my grammars are dead.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll gladly lose that little light on the Excelsior model if it means getting a beautiful HD shot like that.

17. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

That's gotta be a joke, right?

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I really don't see why the loss of the formation light is any big deal to consider.

19. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Going by the rabid desire to keep TNG exactly the same in the HD version, I'd honestly believe that is a legitimate article written by someone from this board? Sho? is it yours?

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Is it more or less rabid than the desire by others to snazzify TNG?