The racist legacy of Star Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Afrika Bambaata, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Your post is confusing. The episode info you list doesn't appear in the link your provided. What's the from?

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Be interesting to know, how much later?

Was it in the seventies when Roddenberry was re-inventing himself and so much of his own history?

:)

3. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Episode info in text of post...link came with copy paste, and was only meant to references the show and history in general and I thought you would enjoy the trip back to the past... ;)

The info in the post came from:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Set_It_Right

...sorry...had all of the wiki page in my preview window, but did not check to see that it made it intact...

4. HIjol

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Sadly none of the pages mentioned thus far cites the source of the assertion that it never aired. Who said it didn't? Gene? A Biographer?

The problem with so many internet "facts" is that that they're frequently all from the same non-sourced claim and repeated like a game of telephone.

6. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is a major problem nowadays. It does make me wonder how rumors got started years ago, with no internet to carry the misinformation on the four winds.

For example, who among us didn't hear back in the day that Mikey from the Life cereal commercials died eating Pop Rocks? Where the heck did that originate?! :crazy:

7. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Oh yes, One of his best moments.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-qQ3zslrgE&feature=kp[/yt]

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably from "Mikey" himself, lamenting the loss of his oh so brief stardom and in a pathetic grasp for attention.

:)

9. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Precocious child then, considering his age when that rumor was around.

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Beaver Cleaver died in Vietnam.

11. HIjol

Sorry...I still seem to be unclear...the body of my post shows "Air Date" and lists a date and then states "intended"...my earlier earlier post references the number 2 footnote that leads to the below listing:

"To Set It Right is an episode of the television series The Lieutenant[1] produced by Gene Roddenberry. Written by Lee Erwin, and featuring Nichelle Nichols in the cast, it was about racial prejudice. [2] The network declined to air a television program with that subject matter. A videotape of the episode is in the collection of the Paley Center for Media in New York, contributed to the Center by Gene Roddenberry."

I try hard not to post things that cannot be substantiated... :)