Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Good observation Donny. Another possibility for the screen shape is the beveled monitors that were used in the dilithium crystal room in ST2 (mounted side-by-side on left and right of Spock). It has a similar lower section that we see in the transporter room.

2. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Only drawback there is that those monitors were originally designed for the Klingon Bridge in TMP and were almost certainly not a part of the original TMP Enterprise transporter room design.

Then again, the very same floor greebles in the transporter room were also witnessed on screen as wall greebles aboard that same Klingon bridge (if you wanted justification for such a crossover). After all the entire Klingon bridge itself was revamped for TWOK and most of it (what didn't go into the dilithium crystal room) was used for the Enterprise torpedo bay. Total artistic license call. ;)

3. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Nicholas Meyer wanted more blinking lights in TWOK's sets, and he had a couple of panels built that could be moved around from set to set just for that purpose. Here you see I've added one to the transporter room, as it appears in the movie, which helps break up the monotone color scheme and add visual interest.
    [​IMG]

You see the blinking panel here behind Saavik:
    [​IMG]

Here in the Regula I transporter room:
    [​IMG]

And also here in the Regula 1 laboratory...
    [​IMG]

There's no doubt you'll see a version of this panel pop up in a few more of my TWOK interiors...

4. Donny

You know, I had originally intended to use those octagonal monitors instead of the oval ones. I had the same debate in my head as you two are now ;)

My attempts at the octagonal monitors didn't look too good, so I opted for the oval ones.

5. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

"We mainly had to be sure it could not be confused with the interior of the Klingon ships. There are certain kinds of beams and supports that are used throughout the Enterprise. We realized that 300 years from now, metals would be so strong that such supports would probably not be necessary. But even if they didn't use the beams we dreamed up, there would be something structural there to break things up for the eye... to keep things visually interesting for those people who go off on five-year missions.
    "I guess we used lighting even more than set design to accomplish this sameness of structure on the Enterprise. The lighting is largely from below. Our assumption was that you can actually see better with that kind of lighting. Also, we did it just because it had an unusual quality about it.
    "The ship is decorated in muted colors - in keeping with a ship that has to remain comfortable for five-year missions."
    - Starlog magazine, January 1980

6. Donny

Thanks for these informative posts. I just ordered a copy of the magazine for my collection. Seems like it has some good info.

7. Donny

All right. I've been focusing work on a briefly seen area of the transporter room.

In TMP, there is a doorway on the wall to the right of the transporter pad (if you're looking at the pad from the control booth), that leads into an unknown area, as seen below.

[​IMG]

But in TWOK, Kirk and crew walk through what appears to be a much larger opening that extends all the way to the angled wall that intersects with the transporter chamber:
    [​IMG]

In the next shot, we get a good look at this side corridor:
    [​IMG]

So obviously, the set changed a bit between TMP and TWOK. We never see a wide enough shot to show the entire modified wall, but in TNG and TUC, we get a sense of how this opening perhaps looked in TWOK:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, I've basically filled in the blanks and just extended the doorway we see in TMP all the way to the transporter chamber:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wall-mounted control panels at the start of the side corridor are also seen in two other areas in The Wrath of Khan, as seen below.

Here are two in the Photon Torpedo Bay:
    [​IMG]

Here is one in the Regula 1 Transporter Room:
    [​IMG]

One can also be seen in this publicity shot of Paul Winfield, and was a great find since it shows some juicy up-close detail I would have otherwise not been able to make out clearly:
    [​IMG]

As far as I know, TWOK is the only Star Trek production this control panel ever appeared in (if anyone has seen it elsewhere, please let me know). I'm guessing that it was one of the props that Nicholas Meyer had rented from Modern Props.

It was also seen in The Last Starfighter, as were many of the other props rented for TWOK.
    [​IMG]

I spent a lot of time getting the details just right, as I really like this prop:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I'm not sure what the sign between the two panels reads, so I've simply used the "No Smoking" one we see in the TSFS transporter room. If anyone has any idea what the sign in the screencap below says, let me know. I'm sure no one knows, as I didn't even realized it existed until I was studying frame-by-frame screencaps.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  8. Donny

I know I'm bringing up an old topic of discussion, but I must...

Basill, I found out where the missing captain's chair panel went....Kruge's command chair!
    [​IMG]

9. Donny

I've got it pretty close, right?? ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes I'd say that you got it pretty close :techman:

11. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How the ^&@# do you do that?

**clap** **clap** **clap** **clap** **clap**

12. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Very impressive work on the corridor. Is there any reference material about the transporter "waiting room" depicted in the floor plan in Mr. Scott's Guide? Was that ever built apart from the doorway just behind the operator booth?

Also, nice find with that button panel from the captain's chair. I've probably watched Search for Spock over a dozen times and never noticed it before. :techman:

13. Donny

I doubt the waiting lounge just behind the operator booth was ever built. I'm guessing it was added by Mr. Johnson when making his guide. However, I've always been intrigued by this area and am going to attempt to build it. My only worry is that it'll be a tight squeeze. I'll mess around with it and see how it looks. :mallory:

14. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  15. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@Donny - You did an amazing job connecting the side room to the transporter room. Well done!

16. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Well, hoo doggie! That's an awesome treasure find! :techman:

BTW. I'm ready to beam into your digital realm anytime.
    I swear, I was looking at those last two comparison images of the side corridor on your website (prior to any message board context) and I swear I found myself wondering why you had bothered to load that screen shot with Kirk in it if you were just going to follow it with a nice clean screen shot with no visible obstructions. Then, realization struck. Whoa! :eek:

Color me blown away.

17. Tralfaz

Tralfaz Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Outstanding work as always Donny! It is getting to the point where I have difficulty telling what is real and what is your CG. Amazing.

18. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What about the side of the hall that we don't see in your screenshots? Does it have the window into McCoy's office? It looks amazing, by the way. I've been lurking here for ages, and I've seen everything you've posted so far.

19. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Well, it was great you were able to find that little bit of Klingon cannibalism; I would never have thought to look there!

Still, it got my brain tossing. I couldn't shake the feeling that there was yet another instance of one of those captain's panels, showing up out of whack on the bridge of the Enterprise itself... and strangely, in relation to Scotty. Then I seemed to recall it had been where Mr. Scott was seated upon task of starship thievery: The right hand side of the navigator's station in this case. :)

Switched chair panels

This is a particularly perfect shot, since it shows both the navigator's chair and the captain's chair with their reversed arm rests. The post red-alert lighting also seems to augment the panel's appearance just to the navigator's right.

I think that discussion I had vaguely recalled involved speculation that Scotty had made some necessary switches in order to facilitate the automated theft procedures of the Enterprise. Pure fan fodder of course, but an interesting hypothesis to help fill in those gaps the studios rarely expect us to scrutinize (which is probably why it's so fun ;) ).

20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Yep. But you're missing the desk/table (see below).

And no one seems to have mentioned it, but as you can see, this hallway is what's actually seen through the windows in McCoy's office (link to full screencap). In that shot the table appears to be bearing two of the biobed readouts.

Looks like the grilled walkway from the transporter room continues through here.

Notice also the lights turn red during an alert (in TWOK anyway).

Those metal boxes with the blue labels have labels like these...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]