episodes that are part of two different TV series

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Extrocomp, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

When ER and Chicago Hope both premiered on the same night and time slot, Chicago Hope got slaughtered in the ratings. There was a Picket Fences episode where they go to Chicago Hope and after a disagreement, one character says maybe they should've gone to the other hospital. And the doctor replied that they don't talk about the other hospital there.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Back then, I always felt ER was the far superior series. Too bad the series descended into suck and fail.

3. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Vice Admiral Admiral

And, once again, with Carl Reiner's appearance as Alan Brady on "Mad About You", the entire bunch of shows clearly exist in the same universe as "The Dick Van Dyke " show from the 1960's.

4. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then there is my favorite Picket Fences episode which didn't make the cut. They just mentioned the FBI agents investigating something weird with cows in Wisconsin but didn't bring up Scully and Mulder by name.

5. Trekker4747

Try this on for size:

St. Elsewhere and Homicide had crossovers.

St. Elsewhere, as previously mentioned, is connected to Cheers, which we've established is connected to many other NBC sitcoms.

The X-Files crossed over with Homicide. So NOW we can link Homicide, X-Files, St. Elsewhere and the NBC sitcoms!

Homicide and Law & Order also had crossovers so we can throw that into the mix as well.

And if we *really* want to get convoluted (though this one is far more a stretch)

Shirley Schmidt on Boston Legal is invited out to dinner to a restaurant in Boston called "Melvilles"

Sound familiar? Melvilles was the restaurant above Cheers. So while not a direct "crossover" of characters it's a name drop that's obviously supposed to infer a connection to Cheers. If we accept this connection, we've obviously got to toss the Boston Legal and The Practice onto the heap of the "Cheers Universe."

6. Zachary Smith

Which means ultimately "Boston Legal" and "The Dick Van Dyke" show are in the same universe! Weird.

7. Trekker4747

Yep. :lol:

You know, if we keep going with this sooner or later we're going to work Star Trek into all of this! :lol:

8. Zachary Smith

I would have LOVED to have seen an encounter between Buddy Sorrell and Denny Crane.

9. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

The Simpson's also crossed with The Critic and The Flintstones crossed with The Jetson's. In a way The X-Files also crossed with The Simpson's. Isis crosses with SHAZAM.

10. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

NBC's late-90s Saturday-night shows, The Pretender and Profiler, crossed over with each other a couple of times. I watched the former regularly, but not so much the latter, and I remember viewing the two-part crossovers when they aired back-to-back.

I was a little disappointed that The Pretender DVD sets didn't include the Profiler episodes that crossed over, but each one was somewhat self-contained (although I seem to recall the Profiler episodes revealing new facts about the common plot-line), so I suppose it doesn't really matter in the long run.

11. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

if you believe Poobala, Star Trek crossovers with Knightrider, putting it in the same group as Las Vegas, Crossing Jordan, Bewitched, Passions & the Office (US)

12. Zachary Smith

^^

Okay, an encounter between James T. Kirk and Samantha Stevens is too much even for MY brain. Never mind what follows after Endora casts a spell on Maurice and turns him into an Orangutan named "Zaius".

13. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Just a little bit of trivia. Samantha's father, Maurice, was much more powerful than Endora. He once sent her and two of Sam's Aunts to the top of Mount Everest and prevented them from leaving.

I watched way to much daytime TV as a kid.

14. Trekker4747

It's hard to connect cartoons into all of this given how loose of a contnuity or reality there is. The people on the X-Files aren't four-fingered odd looking yellow people who never age. ;)

15. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought of a few more:

Green Acres and The Beverly Hillbillies
    Everybody Loves Raymond and The King of Queens
    TOS Battlestar Galactica and The A-Team - sort of.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. Just because Tommy Westphall dreamed something (like St. Elsewhere) doesn't mean it didn't really happen. Obviously some differences would have to occur, given who Tommy's father and grandfather turn out to be, but the bulk of things can still be the same.

Besides, some crossovers which appear to be the case obviously cannot really be such. For instance, John Munch appeared on The X-Files, which is itself fictional within the shared Homicide/L&O universe (in an early H:LOTS ep, Munch says something about "on Friday nights, most people are home watching X-Files").

17. Trekker4747

Well, as pointed out, just because a show called "X-Files" exsists in their universe doesn't necessairly mean it is "OUR" X-Files.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think that's stretching it just a bit too far. You know, Occam's Razor and all that. ;)

Although if you want to run with that: Just because a detective named John Munch appeared on X-Files doesn't mean it's the same John Munch from L&O/Homicide...

19. Trekker4747

Ah, but we're shown in the X-Files episode a very similar style and setting as the series meaning we're supposed to infer both are "in the same universe. But having a show called "X-Files" in Homicide's universe doesn't preclude the exsistance of Mulder and Scully and their adventures as we're never given any details of the show other than one of that name exsists.

[​IMG]

But, for the "fun" of this exercise I think we can ignore these little slips in contnuity. (Along with George watching "MAY" in Seinfeld and other slips in the shows.)

20. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

there is one good example.

if you look on Poobala, you can trace Friends to Cheers, via Fraiser & another TV show, which is all very well until you consider that in the episodes of Friends set in London, Joey is watching Cheers.

ooh & apparntly the King of Queens, features Becker in one episode, but then a few years later, has Doug refer to it as a TV show