"Best of both Worlds" - Special Bluray Release

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Jan 9, 2013.

1. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

CBS-D is a little too good, because we're seeing all the flaws of the 4-footer:

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/bobwpreview/bobwtrailerhd_043.jpg

The 6-footer was built to stand up in a feature film (which it later did) The 4-footer, not built by ILM, looks like it was meant for TV, and we're seeing more than we were ever intended to.

Notice the warp pylon - the edges look as if they were spackled. There's also a gnarly crack that extends from the neck. A bit of sanding prior to painting would have fixed that. The model wasn't even a year old at this point.

2. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In a way I'm kinda glad HTV redid everything for season 2, their work is one step above paper cut outs on a cardboard background but at least it's somewhat consistent. I think having to see the glaring difference between HTV's and CBS-D's footage in the same episode would make things look even worse.

3. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

I agree the close up shots of the 4 foot model in HD do bring the flaws in its construction to the forefront, but from further away it doesn't look bad at all.

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/5x25/innerlight_hd_103.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/bobwpreview/bobwtrailerhd_006.jpg

I cant complain though, I'd much prefer an meticulously crafted composite of the 4 foot miniature warts and all than a sloppy, half assed composite of the 6 foot model.

4. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I'm really not trying to defend HTV's efforts, but I must say, it's funny how people complained about their decision to make the glow of the impulse section red when CBS Digital had made it orange. Now from what we've seen of the third season, CBS Digital has made it red now, too. And I don't see anyone making a fuss about it. Double standard?

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Kind of. It fluctuated between orange and red in TNG all the time, so I don't see the big deal.

6. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

In HTV's case, the rest of the work was far less redeeming in quality. I'm not going to complain about the colour of the impulse engine when 98% of the work is fantastic. With the complaints against HTV's work, the impulse colour was just part of the whole. That being said, I still preferred the orange hue.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Double standard among Trek fans? Perish the thought! :lol:

8. jimbotron

I'll take red and orange impulse mismatching episode to episode over blurry, washed out, poorly composited, poorly aligned, stretched, and cropped visual effects anyday. :)

9. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

The impulse engine on the 6 foot model should be orange and it still is in Season 3.

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/images_s3trailer/s3trailer_hd_029.jpg

Tosk is correct that it ranged from red, pink and orange in the Season 1 and 2. CBS D chose orange as the standard colour but it again fluctuated throughout Season 2. The engine glow is red on the 4 foot and 2 foot models and always has done.

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/images_s3trailer/s3trailer_hd_025.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x15/11001001_hd_001.jpg

10. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Two questions:
    1. Can someone inform me what the specific problem is with the remastered shot form Where Silence Has Lease?
    2. Do you think that, for BOBW, they will fix the whole "center of town" reference, and place the away team in the center of the crater rather than near it to reflect O-Brien's dialogue?

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Im going to consider this release as an unofficial 13th Star Trek MOVIE. Proudly will buy the individual Bluray as well as the season 3 disc.

RAMA

12. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Well, here's the shot as done by HTV which looks overly bright, sharp and plastic looking with virtually no grain (click to enlarge):

[​IMG]

And here's the shot adjusted by me to make it look more like the miniature with some added grain (click to enlarge):

[​IMG]

If you open them both as separate tabs, you can click back and forth between them.

Nope. We've already seen the remastered shot with the orignal matte painting:

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/bobwpreview/bobwtrailerhd_015.jpg

13. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

There's no need. Who's to say that the big hole wasn't just for the reactor and such, while the houses for the colony were all on the other side? That way, they could well be at the center of town, but the big underground part was only on one side.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This has probably been discussed to death, but has anyone else noticed that the CG interior of the Borg ship features First Contact/Voyager-style Borg alcoves (with green zappy things) and not the kind seen in Next Generation?

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Yeah. Kinda pisses me off as their was no reason to make the change. Especially since we see the TNG acloves in close-ups. :scream:

16. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

It's like no one in charge of Star Trek ever wants to explore the idea that the Borg over the course of time actually CHANGE. That's how I always interpreted why they look different from one series to another. Assimilating other cultures and technologies, the looks would have to adapt as well.

17. jimbotron

With each appearance of the Borg, they got more convoluted.

First, they were bees. Technology was their pollen. Humans were ignored, just like a bee would ignore you until you swatted at it.

Then in BOBW, they changed by assimilating people. Yet they retained the "they will ignore us until they view us as a threat" part of the Borg, which no longer makes sense if their goal is to assimilate PEOPLE. People became the "pollen."

I, Borg and Descent just confirms what we saw at the end of BOBW - that a Borg drone can regain individuality.

Then in First Contact, we're introduced to many things. First, they have the ability to time travel - so why did they fly all the way to 24th century Earth when they could have assimilated the past from any place in the past?

Then they added a queen. That's a good way to prevent how they lost the last time. They were tricked into regenerating. If there's an individual at the top, she could prevent that vulnerability. Except the movie claimed there was always a queen, and was on the original cube, which is dumb. How does an individual fall for the same "sleep" command as the collective? The retcons make no sense.

Then there was Voyager, which I would like to forget. Even when the Borg want to assimilate humanoids at every encounter, they'll still ignore you on their ship until you act threatening. Whatever.

18. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

You would have thought that they would have noticed there IS no town to be in the centre of from orbit ! Mr O'Brien can't see shit and does not know where hes beaming you.. he just taps his co-ordinates in and then presses the button :) Then he twiddles his thumbs in the Transporter room pretending to be busy waiting for the next planet to beam something to... :wtf: :cardie: :techman:

19. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Essentially I share your criticism, the introduction of the Queen Bee in ST VIII (ALIENS anyone?) didn't help to make the Borg more interesting, IMHO.

Where I cannot agree is your conclusion regarding BOBW. In "Q Who" the Borg suddenly assumed that the Federation had something they didn't know previously: "Q drive".

They pulled the data from the ship's computer and still found nothing. Apparently they had to resort to other means to access this information (which of course did not exist) and started to assimilate and set course for Earth where they expected to get the "Q drive" information. Just my 0.02 $.

Bob

20. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Yeah and it's a re-used re-vamp from S2 "Q-Who?"