"Best of both Worlds" - Special Bluray Release

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Kirks_Flying_Wig

Kirks_Flying_Wig Commander Red Shirt

It does! I've just checked the SD version and the tear is so subtle, I wouldn't know it was there unless I already knew.

2. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

From what I've read, there's a new edit on the BD - which I'm really hoping is an improvement on the somewhat jarring version currently available.

3. Andyperkins

Andyperkins Ensign Newbie

The first time I saw Best of Both Worlds was the feature length VHS release and I thought it was edited together quite well, going straight from Riker saying 'Fire' to the shot of the deflector dish firing, the music blended quite well too.

If they are using the same edit then it would explain why the commentary can't be cut up over the season sets as there is a good 7-8 seconds missing from the feature length version.

Oh and for those in the UK the BoBW disc is only £6.99 at Sainsburys :)

I wonder if they will include a discount voucher in with BoBW for TNG S3 or S4 like they did with the sampler which had a voucher for £5 off TNG S1

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I think they could do this with Unification as well. I am certain there are alot of people who would want Spock's appearance who would not want the full season.

5. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps, but "Best of Both Worlds" makes a much easier sell as a standalone "ooh, I'm pretty in HD" title. ;)

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

If they had been farther along in the process, a Unification stand-alone might've made sense as something to capture the interest of folks seeing Star Trek Into Darkness.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I do not think the timing makes much difference. It would be ready by the time of the film's DVD/Blu-ray release, which would be good too. Even if the actual season 5 set is out earlier.

8. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Click to enhance! Courtesy of TrekCore.

[​IMG]

9. datagal

datagal Admiral Admiral

Dammit. :scream::mad:

Not only are they going to make me buy BOBW Blueray release, but I have to buy a Blueray DVD player to watch it.

Thank God Blueray players are cheap now.

10. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

OK folks - I've had a LOT of requests for an uncompressed version of the trailer for "The Best of Both Worlds" on Blu. Thanks to CBS, we've now got a beautiful full 1080p version for you to assimilate.

In a brand new feature, there are almost 200 full 1080p HD stills from the original source trailer (no horrible YouTube compression). There's also a lengthy comparison and analysis feature on CBS Digital's work.

Check it out! http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/02132013_bobwtrailerhd.html

11. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

12. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thank you very much for the video upload and analysis, TrekCore. The YouTube video was great, but this one blew me away. April 30 can't come quickly enough.

The effects, the compositing, the color, the grain, it's amazing.

Season 1 was a novelty - mostly below par episodes that looked incredible. Season 2 was a noticeable improvement in episode quality, but the remastering made it a disappointment. Season 3 combines excellent storytelling and incredible remastering. Anything not done 100% by CBS-D going forward is gonna have a lot to live up to.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Yes, as utterly disappointing season 2 has been over all, if 3-7 remain consistent I'll be very happy.

...If any of the DS9 blu releases get screwed over like TNG S2, I'll be screaming bloody murder.

14. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unification doesn't have the visual action side of Trek, that might appeal to more casual fans. Certainly in my opinion the quality of the writing on those two aren't even close to Best of Both Worlds (though the Sarek scene is one of my favorite scenes of all of Trek).

Really visually the klingon two parter I could see, even Descent I & II (Boy part two was awful). But really I am not a huge fan of the separate releases. But in this case, I am absolutely sold. IF another episode gets a ton of attention (even in a separate release), I would really like it to be All Good Things. Not only a beautifully written two hour episode, its also features a little action, and a lot of various visuals that would look pretty nice. Not to mention the more behind the scenes of that episode the better in my book.

On a pure action, visual level Redemption one and two would probably be the next best.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Locutus has never looked better. :techman:

16. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for that, I was wondering when you would get around to those.

Any update on the interview with the producer/ director of the VAM, that you have mentioned a couple times? The previous one, was my favorite interview you have posted (even if I don't always agree with him) it's been one of the more thorough interviews. Well done.

17. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Glad you enjoyed the interview with Robert. Roger's interview is done, no news on a release date yet, it's over with him for proofing.

18. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

When Locutus is looking at his view screen of the Enterprise approaching, is the ship cgi? The deflector seems a little different. Looks great though!

19. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

The Enterprise in that shot is the 4 foot minature, the CG model CBS D are using is based on the 6 foot model so I doubt its a CGI replacement.

[​IMG]

Its definitely the remaster of this shot which incidentally was introduced in this episode.

20. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

I don't doubt that one. It's this one.

http://imgur.com/w5jypRT.jpg

The Enterprise looks a little different. Mainly at the deflector. Maybe its just me, but it looks almost like the cgi ship done for The Inner Light. I don't know. I'm not usually this picky.

Sorry if its too big. ;)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013