2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Yeah, the Jeter circle jerk was unwatchable. I thought about taking a shot every time they said his name. I don't think I would've made it to the 2nd inning.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I feel a little bad that I didn't even think about Tony Gwynn watching the telecast. Of course I lost interest in the late innings and did something else, but that's pretty wrong to not make note of it, and the other deaths in Baseball in the past year. The All Star Game shouldn't be about spotlighting one man. It's about spotlighting the game. It's sad that the reason Gwynn didn't get mentioned was because he played for the San Diego Padres and not the New York Yankees. That in itself should be a sign of the ratings decline in this sport.

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The worst part is that it was a patently obvious attempt to recreate the Mariano Rivera thing from last year ... the difference being that Rivera was indisputably the best relief pitcher in history and arguably the best postseason pitcher in history (it's him or Schilling) and was universally loved, and Jeter has been a below-average player for the past five-plus years offensively (and is not even remotely close to a "good" player this season), and has never been above average on the defensive side.

I mean, seriously -- a 60-second memorial spot for Gwynn, Zimmer and Kiner was an even bigger meatball than the pitch that Wainwright grooved to Jeter, and Fox completely whiffed on it.

4. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I guess the key lesson is that announcing retirement so early was his surest way to the All Star game. Would he have even made it otherwise?

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Players get voted into the All-Star Game all the time based on popularity alone when their stats have long since faded. Jeter probably would've been voted the starter last year too if he hadn't been injured for the season so early on.

6. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

True. He's a beast.

I think they just need to cut the Derby down to the top 3 or 4 from each league. I love it and I think it's way too long...

No problems talking about Jeter, but it's a damn shame they didn't pass some repects for baseball's fallen. eeesh....

I was surprised they didn't give the MVP award to Jeter. Hell, Mo got it last year for pitching 1/2 inning.

I personally thought they gave it to the right guy.

7. Yanks

Most likely. From 2009 on he was voted in. (minus 2013)

Pretty good stats in the ASG too. Lifetime .481 batting average.

8. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

See ya Uggs!

Braves released Dan Uggla but still owe him the $18 mil.

I just hope LaStella continues to play as hard as he did now he's the every day 2B.

9. Yanks

Just got back to the hotel from Yankee stadium. Yanks beat the Reds 4-3!!

10. Timby

Jesus goddamn Christ, fuck the Astros and especially Jeff Luhnow. Holy shit.

11. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

It seems the kid's collegiate eligibility is in jeopardy as well. What a dumpster fire of an organization.

12. Timby

Luhnow is legitimately good at talent evaluation, and I'm more than happy to give him credit for that, but he can’t seriously push quotes like “Our goal was to sign the player,” when his side backed out of the deal. You don't get to cry about "increased risk profile" on a seventeen-year-old high school pitcher.

Edit: Oh, and the Astros are guaranteed to get the #2 pick in next year's draft as a result of walking away from the Nix and Aiken deals (actually, by ditching the Aiken deal, they get a ton of flexibility in future pool manipulations). Burn the entire draft system to the ground.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is there anyone left in baseball named 'Chase ____ley' whom the Yankees have not yet signed? :lol:

14. Timby

Well, Chase Utley is still in Philadelphia...

Also, holy shit, the Padres are not good at hitting baseballs:

[​IMG]

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Next trade!

(Tonight's starting lineup is Chase Gardnerley, Chase Ellsburyley, Chase Jeterley...)

16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Ugh, annoyed by this Yankees trade. Seems like EVERY trade the Yankees make: get a good player (in this case, guy is slumping but the talent is there), pay the freight, give up garbage prospects.

Seems like every time, Yankees get away with snagging decent players while not giving up any talent in return. Good for Cashman, i guess, but I'd have thought Headley was worth more than that, and everyone seems to just cave when negotiating with the Yankees.

Not sure he's going to HELP, as having a terrible year, but the talent is there and he's just a rental anyway. Plus 3B was a disaster, so can't hurt, and didn't give up anything that would be missed, so why not?

17. Timby

I actually really like De Paula and I think he's a good get for the Padres. He lost his prospect sheen last year because he got shelled, but he's always been a heavy flyball pitcher, which projects better in Petco than it does in Yankee Stadium.

The thing is, the Padres waited too long to put Headley on the market. If they had a lick of sense, they would have sold high on him after 2012, which was a complete aberration compared to the rest of his career -- but this is one of many reasons that Josh Byrnes was fired a month ago.

18. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I think the years playing for San Diego can wear on a talented player like Headley. Lot of upside so maybe a change of scenery will help him jumpstart his career.

19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Cashman flat out said the Yanks didn't have enough to get Samardzija & Hammel, so the Cubs didn't cave. If there was any negotiating at all.

20. Timby

The Cubs wanted actual, legitimate prospects -- how dare they.

The Yankees have none.

Edit: Holy shit, the Padres are calling up Francoeur. Just so we're clear, Frenchy's career OPS of .725 (.263 / .306 / .419) would make him the second-best hitter on the field after Seth Smith and pretty significantly ahead of Rene Rivera at .695 (.220 / .276/ .418). Seth Smith is literally the only offensive player on the roster that is above replacement level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.