Star Ship AJAX Production

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by JimTheBuilder, Dec 18, 2011.

1. AjaxSupportCrew

AjaxSupportCrew Lieutenant Red Shirt

Awsum job as alwayz Michael! Keep up the great work !!! :-)

2. slipcover

slipcover Ensign Newbie

Hello,

A friend sent me a link to an article about your production on the Tulsa World newspaper (website). I live in Tulsa, and I found you guys on Trek BBS. I thought this was wonderful, and I have spent this past week reading the Ajax production section of the Trek BBS. I have never posted a question before, so I hope this is okay.

Here in Tulsa, they are running the original series on Saturday nights.

I have a set question which has bothered me for years. The over-head station monitor displays have a gap between each section. The blueprint X32 (Richard) posted of the Bridge elevation view illustrates this gap.

When I see the gap in an episode, I see that it appears to be larger at times, and smaller at other times. How wide is that section which fills the gap? Did they have different size gap fillers?

I'm sure that my question is vague, given I don't know the technical names for these bridge sections. For clarity, I can point to one scene in the original show.

The gap can really be seen clearly in "The Paradise Syndrome," where Chekov is as Spock's station. I found the frame on TrekCore.com > TOS > Screencaps HD > Season 3 Screencaps > The Paradise Syndrome > Frame 699 on Page 24.

Of course they never anticipated we would be able to view these things with such clarity. That explains the paint flaking which is clearly visible on this cover piece. This has bothered me for years, and I thought this might be my first (and only) chance to ask people who have worked on a full-scale replica.

I hope all continues to go well.

3. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great job guys!! The set looks amazing and glad I could help out with the bridge graphics; they look grand!

Looking forward to seeing something on film!!!

4. Moby

Moby Cadet Newbie

Congrats to the cast and crew!

Hope you all had fun the last three nights, I just want to thank all those in the cast and crew for taking the time out of their day (and weeks) to make it happen.

5. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9OQOHyJjCY

I don't know why nobody already posted this here... but it appears to be Ajax's own "Harlem Shake". I also posted it on a news story reported here in NYC about a version on an airplane. Let's see if we can raise awareness of Ajax!

6. J.C. England

J.C. England Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thanks Barbara! Hadn't gotten 'round to it yet.
    Just a little thing to help the crew loosen up
    (although the effort was not really appreciated
    by our set builders/production staff)

@Slipcover:
    The gaps you're speaking about (if I'm guessing
    the right areas) are present on all Bridge sets,
    simply because of the way they are built in sections
    like slices of a pizza. Black tape or a black sheet
    is supposed to be behind the set piece to block
    the lights behind the set.
    Some sections are are "portable" to make way for
    camera equipments & microphones, and are moved
    several times back and forth for particular shots.
    In the original TOS episodes, the creators depended
    on the poor resolution of the TV screens in the 60s
    and 70s to hide those flaws, along with a multitude
    of others. If you look close enough to Phase II, Farragut,
    and even our production, you will see those flaws
    again... there's no way to make these set pieces perfect,
    and we really don't want to, to keep them somewhat "authentic".

Thank you for your interest & contact us if you're
    ever in the OKC area.

JC England (Capt Boone)

7. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

Actually, Phase II doesn't have any of the "portable" sections, so you WON'T see the 'spacer' flaws in our sets. Although built in the "pie wedge sections", each section is bondoed and screwed into the others, so there are no gaps. It definitely limits camera angles.

In the original series, the sections from Spock's station to the viewscreen were usually absent, and a common shot of Spock at his station is from the camera being situated where the next section would be.

8. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Actually, after we built our 360 degree bridge set, the seams between each of the bridge stations/sections were bonded over entirely before the set was painted. If you run your hand along the console, say, from Uhura's station, all the way to Spock's station, and over to the Navigation and Weaons Subsystems stations, it's as smooth as glass all the way around with no seams at all.

The advantages are that it looks great--especially since we shoot in high definition. No cracks or seams show because, well, there are none. The disadvantes are that none of the segments are "wild" and they can't be moved. We are locked into one room, for good are bad, and some of the more interesting views used on TOS we just can't get. Also, if we ever need to move the bridge, we need to bust up the bondoing at each station--sort of like busting through a wall. It's a trade-off.

9. J.C. England

I stand corrected then on the other sets, for sure.
    Ours are 'wild' to a point, but pretty much fixed in place.
    (we can move them if we need, but prefer not to, lol)

Thanks for the input, guys.

10. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

It is amazing to see all the progress on "Ajax". I feel like part of your team since I was there watching John slave away and deal with so many issues early on. His perseverance and the enthusiasm of the new group of people, many of whom I have made friends with, is heart-warming and I cannot wait for the final product!

Alec

11. x32

x32 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Actually, when we made the move, I rebuilt the set in such a way that it can come completely apart and be moved again easier than it was the first time.

Each station separates, the roof come off and lays in the floor, the x-brace feet come out so the station can be dropped on wheel boards and rolled into the back of a semi truck.

Even though it's easier it would still be a chore to move it, so Charley is correct in that we prefer not to. However if someone wants a bridge for their event and has the money we can bring it.

Many people have pointed out the cracks and offered to fill them in and I stopped them. The original goal John put to me when I first joined the project was to make it as close to possible to the original bridge. Then if someone wants to make another show on the Enterprise they won't have to change anything. Everyone else, including John has abandoned that goal but it's still what I shoot for. If it was on the original bridge I want it to be on our bridge, cracks and everything.

12. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

But since it's a different ship, isn't it likely that there would be some minor cosmetic changes? For example, you could have blue railings and blue turbolift door just to be a little different. :)

13. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

This is something that I've suggested as well. In the U.S. Navy, every ship that follows the first of a new line incorporates changes and modifications as feedback comes in from the crews that are actually using them. It seems to me that while two ships might have the same basic template, there are always going to be differences under the hood.

14. feek61

Yes, they changed the graphic at the turbo-lift, the dedication plaque and two of the graphics that originally showed the Constitution class starship. What more do you want, lol.

15. x32

x32 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Remember we are building a studio for anyone to use. The plan is to model it after the Enterprise but not everyone will want the Enterprise for their show. So each show is certainly welcome to change whatever they like as long as it is not major construction or damaging to the set.

If someone wants blue rails that is perfectly acceptable as long as they repaint them orange before they leave. The program I've written to display feek61's graphics makes it easy load other graphics if desired. The plaque and most of the other panels are screwed in place and can be changed out if needed. Any changes within reason will be allowed as long as they are changed back.

16. feek61

. . . and we can certainly change any graphics as needed as well! ;)

17. AjaxSupportCrew

Feek, Just wanted to say "Thank You" for ALL the research you have put in replicating the graphics from TOS. These are PERFECT in EVERY sense of the word , , right down to the timing on the different blinking patterns......
    Your work Sir is - - PHENOMENAL :bolian:

18. feek61

Awww, gee thanks, lol. Happy to help out on such a great project!!!

I actually have some updated (read: more accurate) versions I need to send your way.

19. AjaxSupportCrew

send them on ......
    Richard I'm sure is waiting........
    You can send them to me @ - - scott@starshipajax.com also.....

Thanx again!

LLAP
    P.S. - plz email me so that I will have a way to respond back to you directly instead of thru the board......

Thanx

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  20. J.C. England

Feek, to echo what Scott said..
    Your work sir is... PHENOMENAL!!
    The compliments haven't stopped
    coming from everyone who has
    come onboard the Ajax.

Thank you again!