Who is John Harrison (Possible SPOILERS or Insane Babbling)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Green Mushroom, Dec 11, 2012.

?

Who is John Harrison?

1. A new character named John Harrison

23.6%
  2. A new character with the psuedonym John Harrison

14.5%
  3. Khan

17.3%
  4. Gary Mitchell

17.3%
  5. Harry Mudd

2.7%
  6. Nero

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Trelane

0.9%
  8. Other (Please Explain)

23.6%
  1. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

So were a lot of other people.

Is John Harrison a contemporary of Pike?

Is John Harrison a masterful tactician?

Is John Harrison any of that? (He may be a terrorist, but we don't know what his motives are or if he's mentally unbalanced.)

What? Why would he have an assumed name and be walking around looking like Benedict Cumberbatch when he really looks like Steve Inhat? Why would the casual moviegoing audience understand or even care about something like that?

Is John Harrison an explorer?

Garth of Izar is not a recognizable character from TOS, outside of hard-core TOS fans. A recognizable character from TOS would be Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Sulu, Uhura, or Chekov.

Again, why would John Harrison need a pseudonym, if there's no real payoff for the casual audience to get the Garth reference? Did any Star Trek bad guy, past or present, need a pseudonym?

Benedict Cumberbatch and Steve Inhat look about as much alike as Anton Yelchin and 60's Walter Koenig.

2. Bengoshi2000

Bengoshi2000 Ensign Red Shirt

Not saying we're going to get a rehash, just that what makes Kirk, Kirk has to happen in some form or another.

This article sums up my point pretty well: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/12/ha...Tor.com+Frontpage+Partial+-+Blog+and+Stories)

And FWIW, I think LEGION is onto something with his "underground augment" theory...

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not Garth of Izar.
    It's not Gary Mitchell.
    It's not Harry Mudd, Trelane, Q or the Third Klingon From The Left.

They're deliberately building up the mystery about Cumberbatch's character. This means one of only two things:

1. He is someone the movie audience will recognize; or
    2. Revealing information about him will disclose too much information about the plot for other reasons, which means he's directly connected to someone or some event that the movie going audience will recognize.
    So, the movie turns on someone or something already established and well-known to the general public. Otherwise the reveal is the equivalent of declaring that John Harrison is really John Doe.

That rules out everyone but Khan or the Borg, really.*

It's not the Borg.

*(or Luke's father)

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'm still wondering how Harry Mudd wound up on the poll ballot. :) I mean, at least most of the others mentioned as a possibility for Cumberbatch's character were - oh, I don't know - villainous. They did nasty, horrid things much worse than smuggle a placebo beauty pill or have androids hijack Captain Kirk's ship.

Harry Mudd at his worst was about as threatening as Eddie Haskell on Leave it to Beaver.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they use Harry Mudd, Q or Trelane and don't cast Eddie Izzard I'm outta here. :lol:

6. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

If John Harrison is an augment, shouldn't he still be susceptible to the Vulcan nerve pinch (unlike as seen in those early photos)? I suppose they could have changed the rules, or this particular augment's trapezius was particularly engineered for that. :p

7. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't Gary Seven the only human unaffected by it back in the TOS days?

8. cooleddie74

Was Spock able to nerve pinch the Augment guarding Kirk in the the Sickbay pressure chamber in "Space Seed"? It's been a little while since I've seen the episode and can't recall if Spock pinched the guy or immobilized him in some other fashion.

9. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a nerve pinch as far as I remember.

10. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I think he pinched a guard in sickbay. It doesn't really matter because not every genetically engineered person has to be the same, and that's probably all they need to justify it.

As far as I know. And who knows why? Maybe that was a result of genetic engineering too.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

12. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

The transcript of "Space Seed" at http://www.chakoteya.net/startrek/24.htm says, "The outer sickbay door opens, Kirk waits and then tackles Spock's guard. Spock neck-pinches him."

However, it could be that with the adrenaline flowing (the Harrison and Spock fight scene), an augment could fight off a neck pinch.

13. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Don't underestimate him, Zsinj was a good SW villain.

14. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    sounded like "cranberry sauce" to me...

15. cooleddie74

:lol:

I've seen that character before. And yes....I thought about Harry, too.

It's hard to take an Imperial officer that seriously when you keep imagining him finishing each order or sentence with "Laddy Buck."

16. Bengoshi2000

Bengoshi2000 Ensign Red Shirt

Well crap... so much for my "Harrison is Annakin Sykwalker posing undercover as the third Klingon from the left" Theory...

17. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Luckily i read about him before i watched TOS.

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

"Piece of shrapnel tore up that nerve cluster my first tour. I had it moved."

THANK YOU JOSS.

19. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

He's definitely not Khan.

In the trailer there's a shot of a room full of some kind of stasis canister type things, big enough for a sleeping human, and two men are on the far side of it, leaving, with their backs to us. The guy on the right is Cumberbatch in a white suit of some kind. The guy on the left is a big burly guy with a ponytail, in a yellow/orange jumpsuit. Guess who *that* most likely is...

20. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Steven Seagal?