Shore Leave

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by terpette, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

I am feeling a bit torn here. I have bought the individual books but so far haven`t read them because of lack of time. If I would have known about the hardcover (even with additional material!) in hindsight I probably would have waited.

On the other hand, if most people would have waited for the hardcover and not have bought the individual books - there would be no hardcover.

It is the same problem when people wait for the trade paperback instead of buying single comic books.

Therefore, in spite of my mixed feelings (also because I don`t have a limitless budget for books) I decided to be just happy for the author that these books have been so successful. I haven`t decided yet if I will buy the hardcover. I probably will if I find the book at a reduced price.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's probably also aimed at new fans swept away by JJ Abrams' "Star Trek" next May, hungry for more to read than a movie novelization. Interesting that there's no mention of a cover artist. I recall joking here a few months ago that these books could get released with Urban/Quinto/Pine covers. Maybe they will!?

3. Lorraine Anderson

Lorraine Anderson Writer Red Shirt

Whinge... never thought of looking in a dictionary. I thought I had run into internet slang again! Thanks. Sorry for the derailment.

4. Jason Barney

Jason Barney Cadet Newbie

I went to Shore Leave and it was awesome. I have to admit as far as a sci-fi convention goes, I skipped a lot of the extra stuff. Seeing people dressed up like Klingons was really cool, but my main purpose in going was to meet so many of the writers I have come to respect over the years, and to say hello to many of the friends I've found on the net.

I was a great experience. Ended up skipping out on all the guest speakers, but made a point of going to almost all of the Pocket Books writing panels. It was really worth it.

5. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Again, and your point? I mean really, I brought up Cryptonomicon in mmpb form and you said something like it's hard to read with out cracking the spine like that was some form of argument for it coming out in trade form, which it has so people have a choice. I was pointing out I've got some trades with cracked spines so a trade format isn't going to magically prevent spines from cracking. Now you're saying it doesn't matter what format the book is in, you are not going to crack a spine.

So apparently book formats and cracking spines have nothing to do with each other. But I thank you for your response.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Do we always have to have "a" point? It was an observation, made during a discussion. It wasn't necessarily a debate.

Trying to cram lots of words into a MMPB can wind up with a very chunky book, and it's very easy to crack the spine of a chunky book. Trade paperbacks seem to allow the font size to be larger and the spine to be more durable, in my experience. But you still have to be careful with any paperback, if you wish to maintain near-mint condition.

7. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My friend and I did Shore Leave like that for three years. But last year, with no new book to get at the place, and with him giving blood and then driving back to Philly, and him freaking out, he decided he never wanted to do that again. So I missed it. I would drive, except I don't have a license. Ah, well.

8. Sxottlan

Sxottlan Commodore Commodore

I like the focus of the upcoming schedule. I'll most likely get most of those books. I'll wait to wait to hear more about the TOS one before I get it. Love the Vanguard cover, also the cover for A Singular Destiny. Also glad to get two DS9R books next year and that they're not pushing one back for the sake of just doing one DS9R book a year.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Why would you think they'd do that? Actually if you look at the whole '09 schedule, TOS, DS9, VGR, Titan, and Vanguard are all getting two books.

10. Sxottlan

Sxottlan Commodore Commodore

*Shrug*

11. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Both my mother and I take books to and from work to read. I do not crack the spine while reading the book and it is kept in a jacket pocket barely big enough for the book. My mother keeps the book in her handbag and cracks the spine on every one, usually she reads my books when I'm done. Except the ST ones. Nothing I can do.

12. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if we even have the same definition of "cracking a spine". I see books in used books stores all the time where the spine is so split the book will with both covers flat because there's a big break down the middle of the spine. I guess that's cracking. I get wrinckles down the spine of my books where it has been opened up a bit much bit it's not really broken. I guess it's a bent spine.

I don't go out of my way to thrash a book but I read them on the bus to work, while on the bike at the gym, while eating lunch, with a night light clipped to it while in bed, etc. I get the impression that when some people here are done reading a book you can't tell it's been read. On my book shelf you can tell which books have been read and which haven't.

Man, talk about a boring subject. What was this thread originally about?

13. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We've taken an away team from the original idea.

14. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

My partner thinks it's amusing because I have a jacket that I wear and my preference for wearing it is because the pockets are the perfect size to slip a normal sized paperback into it snugly. It means I don't need to grab my satchel to stick a book in when I'm going out -

My partner's one of those who reads a book and bends the front cover all the way round so that it touches the back cover and that does my head in in a major way so I always tell him off.

15. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i'm not averse to cracking a spine, but that kinda abuse of books irks me...

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to admit that I'm really crazy annul about my book covers, it really just drives me nuts when they get cracked. In fact, I barely even let people touch my books, but I think that probably has more to do with the fact that almost every time I let someone see one in Junior High or High School they'd either throw in the garbage or hid it in a cupboard or something like that.

17. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

:: raise hand ::

yep.

18. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anal. Annul is when you cancel something, like a marriage.

See, I like that a book has obviously been read. I don't bend corners or write in books or anything like that, but spines are wrinkled, covers chipped, and every now and again there might be a food stain; particularly on those I've read again and again, who've had to endure the most being lugged about. It's like stuffed animals: you know that those which show the greatest amount of wear and tear are the child's most beloved.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, thank you. I original had anul but my spellcheck didn't like that so I just went with whatever was on top.

20. Amy Sisson

Amy Sisson Writer Captain

So, uh, Shore Leave! I heard there was a convention somewhere in Maryland....

I brought my sister for her first ever SF convention of any kind. Shockingly, she says she's going to come back next year. :bolian:

I had a great time as usual. The time went by too quickly.

Oh, I heard that the reason they put some of the authors into the ballroom to sign books was because the fire marshal said "no way" to that many people in the concourse/hallway. Understandable, but it just didn't feel quite the same this way....

How many days until the next Shore Leave? :(