Shore Leave

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by terpette, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Admiral Admiral

For those who flew in, what was the financial damage report?

2. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

Yeah, how much does Shore Leave cost to attend? If I can convince my partner to let me go, it might be fun to go next year - if I've not been offered a contract that starts pre-summer by then!

3. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

hmmmm... maybe there is an incentive to write for IJCAI next year after all......

4. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

ah, but see the comic book Trades are a different (and more manageable) size to the 'novel' trades. and plus all my Ultimate Marvel trades are together on a shelf in a nice matching format. an NF TPB wouldn't fit on the shelf with the NF MMPBs and wouldn't match the rest of the set either.

5. HIj'Qa

HIj'Qa Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

FYI - The Wegmans supermarket in the Hunt Valley Mall across the road has an extensive salad/sandwich/hot food buffet for take-out.

It was amusing catching Christopher munching away between panels!

I ran around from 10 am to 4 pm or later without eating anything. Now I'm back home and hungry all the time!?!?!?

6. Deano2099

Deano2099 Commander Red Shirt

Put it next to No Limits?

7. HIj'Qa

HIj'Qa Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There are peoples' pics up on Flickr, search "Shore Leave 30". If you see Rodney McKay you're at the right place!

Also some on Photobucket.

8. tenmei

Which really wouldn't work if, like me, he tries to put things in chronological order - when I get home I might even try to put EVERYTHING in my Trek in chronological order given I've got a month off with very little to do.

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

No Limits is on a seperate shelf with TDW and TFCT, while the SCE TPBs and the MU pair are on the shelf below.

10. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have so little space, I put my HBs and TPBs at the back in descending height, and the MMPBs at the front in the order they've been read, except I try and put series, like TTN and VAN, together. I currently have about 100 ST novels, and they take up almost two full shelves.

11. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was lucky and my wife let me go to Shore Leave this year (sort of) as it usually falls on our Anniversary Weekend. This year, she let me drive down Friday night so I could attend the Pocket Book reveal and Meet the Pros. Then I had to turn around and drive back to Philadelphia that same night. Let me tell you, it is not a fun thing to do after a full work day.

I am EXTREMELY excited about the novels coming up and am drooling on getting my hands on Destiny to see what happens after I finished reading Greater Than The Sum whcih I got on Friday (finished it Sunday morning). The look ahead for next year is very positive. I think almost everyone is getting something they have been asking about. I believe each of the major areas is representated to a degree, if not the focus of its own novel.

It was excellent finally meeting all of the authors who were there. You were all extremely friendly and personable and I enjoyed the brief conversations I had with some of you. I hope to arrange to come down in future years as well.

Mike Winters

12. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

That'd be interesting.

I am really looking forward to this book, as Saavik had always been a favorite character of mine.

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I've done lots of commuting this week, taking a trade-size "Mirror Universe" volume with me - and no noticeable different to commuting with a ST MMPB.

As for imagery and TPBs, you do have the cover art. I'd hate to see NF fall back to MMPB-only. If Pocket can't afford the risk on hardcovers as often, then trades are fine by me.

14. Therin of Andor

Luxury! You have a long way to go to compete with us completists!

15. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

Yep, Ian has a whole room with Trek stuff, and they still spill out to his living room.

16. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, but I still live at home (can't afford to move out with the housing market in its current condition) and ST has to share shelf space with my CSI novels, the complete works of Charles Dickens, the complete works of Robert Ludlum, and numerous other books. Plus there are the ones in my parents' living room and those in boxes under my bed.

I am collecting the ST books slowly, hence the reason I compiled the MS Word document from Voyages of Imagination, so I can keep track of what I've got and need to get. But birthdays and xmases only come once a year, limiting my buying of the older ST books. The fact that many are damned hard to find also makes it a problem.

I'm doing my best. And I do only collect the books.

17. tenmei

I'm considering dumping a lot of novels into boxes so that there is room for the Trek collection on the shelves. The Doctor Who collection, apparantly being less embarassing than the Trek collection according to my partner, is allowed to go on the shelf in the lounge and isn't relegated to the study.

18. Therin of Andor

It would match the "NF: No Limits" anthology, though... :vulcan:

19. Therin of Andor

Yeah, but you were here before the stuff reached all the other parts of the house. It's like The Blob, I tell ya. That Trek gets everywhere!

20. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've tried it with both, and there's a reason I do all my TPB reading at home now. It's heavier, which is an issue given that the bookload I sometimes carry is such that I've sprained my trapezius just carrying my schoolbag (I must say, I didn't know you could sprain a trapezius, or even what a trapezius was other than gravity-defying acts at the circus). It's bulkier, also an issue when space is at a premium and you want to travel light. But the biggest problem is surely the fact that it's extremly awkward to read one of those things one-handed. You could try to read it two-handed, but then you go sprawling to the (dirty!) floor every time the bus turns/train lurches/metro car comes screeching to a halt for no apparent reason. Basically, I'm constantly jostling for a good position to both hold on to something and hold the book up and open before me, readjusting every time the transport makes some wacky maneouvre or another, and it's just not a pleasant reading experience. I'd rather be able to enjoy my reading, so one-handed MMPBs are for traveling, and the bigger books remain at my bedside.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman