Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Seriously though, as soon as I saw The Shield, I thought 'See, that's what Grant Mitchell would be like if he actually was scary, as oppose to soap-opera scary'.

3. captcalhoun

^ LOL, you're probably right.

Chiklis would be my pick for Kebron.

4. Captaindemotion

^ Bit too similar to what he did in FF, though isn't it? I'd prefer Michael Clarke Duncan myself.

5. captcalhoun

^ pretty much why i'd pick him.

and like no-one else does that...

6. Captaindemotion

^ Yeah, not singling you out; I just like to avoid that sort of thing for the most part. To each their own.

7. sherbertpi9

sherbertpi9 Ensign Newbie

Has anyone here heard about http://www.imaginecasting.com? Basically you fill out who you want to play whom in various tv/movie ideas, and the favourite choices get tallied. Theres several Star Trek ideas there, I tried starting a Titan and Gorkon thread. Might bring some of those ideas here, maybe?

8. sherbertpi9

sherbertpi9 Ensign Newbie

Is this thread for all different Trek novels? Or just some?

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Any and all. The thread was stated so we didn't end up with a million different casting threads for all of the different books.

10. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I'm reading Vanguard: Summon the Thunder and wondering about Doctor Tony Leone from the Endeavour. Memory Alpha doesn't list him in any book following this one, so I suppose that's why no results for them have turned up in this thread. Unfortunately all of my "Italian Male" references are mob-related, and it doesn't help that Leone is the name of the major Mafia family in the Grand Theft Auto games.

I suppose I could also draw from various Italian-American singers, too. :lol:

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The Vanguard bible suggests Steve Buscemi as a template for Dr. Anthony Leone.

12. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Ah....well, he's visually memorable. Can't say I remember much of his voice, as I've only seen him in one or two films, and those a long while ago. Thanks.

13. Captaindemotion

Ah, young 'uns. When I saw that name, I immediately thought of the great director Sergio Leone, of The Good The Bad The Ugly, Once Upon A Time in the West, etc.

14. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Currently reading Paths of Disharmony (after finishing up Losing the Peace), and I've got a BSG thing for some of the characters:

Choudhury: Rekha Sharma
    Chen: Grace Park
    Konya: Tahmoh Penikett

As for the others:

Harstad: Tamala Jones (the character's first name brought me right to Jones); but the short haircut described reminded me of Halle Berry. Then I got a Stacey Dash vibe. In any event, Geordi couldn't lose with either three
    Elfiki: Nazneen Contractor came to mind; so does Sarah Shahi
    Den: Joel Gretsch

15. Christopher

Dave Mack would agree, but I don't like her much, and I see Choudhury as taller. Janina Gavankar is one possibility, though not ideal.

I've seen it suggested before, and I guess it could possibly work.

I don't see that at all. For one thing, Konya's blond, and probably not that tall. In my mind, he looks kind of like a younger Aaron Eckhart.

Sarah Shahi is Dave's suggestion, and I agree she'd be a fantastic choice.

Not even close to how I imagined Hegol Den. I kind of based him on Monk's Stanley Kamel.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've always used her for Prynn myself, and I find it hard to cast the same person in 2 big roles like this. I've been watching the Korean spy drama IRIS, and I've been thinking that Hyun Jyu Ni, might make a good Chen.

17. Christopher

Going only from photos, she looks like the right type, allowing for being Korean rather than Chinese. But then, "Chen" can be a Korean surname as well. I guess I never explicitly specified that Trys's human ancestry was Chinese, though that was my intent. I just said she had Asian features.

18. Enterprise1981

Enterprise1981 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ So I guess you and Mack discussed this sort of thing at length with Chodhury, Elfiki, and Chen being introduced in Greater Than the Sum and featured even further in the Destiny trilogy.

And while on the subject, what sorts of clues were given about Prynn's ethnicity. My initial reaction to the Memory Beta page was, "How is she black when her father's white and her mother's Asian"? Perhaps one of the darker-skinned Indonesian or Indian ethnicities?

19. Christopher

No, "casting" suggestions didn't really come up between us during writing. I know about Dave's "cast" preferences from his earlier comments in this thread.

Prynn isn't "black." The model on the Mission: Gamma cover has often been misconstrued that way, but it's a trick of lighting and hairstyle. Try covering up the hair and it becomes clear that the model's features are Asian. And her complexion is no darker than Dukat's on his part of the M:G cover spread.

20. jedimaster

jedimaster Ensign Red Shirt

John C. McGinley as Kant Jorel from Articles of the Federation.