I really Like "Carbon Creek"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Mike Have-Not, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Mike Have-Not

Mike Have-Not Captain Captain

SF Bay Area, North American Continent, Earth, Sol
    I think it is my favorite episode of the series.

I really liked T'Pol's character and acting in the story-telling scenes that frame the episiode, also.

The way she left Trip and Archer hanging, thinking she'd been "pulling a fast one" on them.

Very funny!

How do Enterprise fans feel about this episode?

2. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it's pretty awful in general. It was clearly made on-the-cheap and the writing was pretty bad. I think if you're going to stick Vulcans on earth in the 50s, you need to ramp up the comedy a bit more, otherwise we're just watching another episode where the "crew" (in this case the Vulcans) need to find some way off a primitive planet without letting the natives know who they are. There were funny moments, but not a lot. There was a heartfelt moment or two as well, but ultimately the episode just felt like a waste of time. Particularly because it wasn't about any of the characters in the show.

I did like the ending though, UNTIL T'Pol pulled out the handbag. I would have much rather it been left up in the air as to whether or not she was screwing with them.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love Carbon Creek. Mestral is a fantastic character and I think we need a "Eugenics Wars" style novel about his life on earth and through history. The acting is excellent, the sets too.. I still crack up at the Moe joke. One of the best of Enterprise.

4. I am Surak

I am Surak Captain Captain

So you finally watched it.

5. Bishop76

I had seen it before and I haven't watched it in probably 2 or 3 years now - I didn't like it then, I don't like it now - the only part that I thought was good was the prologue where we see the "big 3" of Enterprise having some fun together and the first part of the epilogue where Trip and Archer are left wondering if T'Pol was full of shit or not. I would have rather they left the audience wondering the same thing. Would have been kind of fun.

6. Hathaway Brown

Hathaway Brown Lieutenant Red Shirt

Not a bad episode, it seemed to suit its purpose as a light relief style episode. There have been far far worse "serious" episodes in other Trek series.

7. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

There are few things I like about CC, but generally speaking, it's around the middle of my least favorite episodes.

Mestral ("I Love Lucy is on tonight") was my favorite. And I'm sure a lot of people will spit out their teeth at the idea, but I think they could have had some fun with the coda by having Mestral arrive on the West Coast and the first person he befriends is Gene Roddenberry.

8. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was the first episode of Enterprise I really liked. It was fun.

9. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not a short story, an EPIC story like Cox's Eugenics Wars novels! He can weave Mestral into his already established Eugenics Wars characters too.

But I want a novel of the E2 crew as well by Cox, 100 years on the alternate Enterprise. Actually just give me a series set on the ship with Lorian as the Captain. Drag in Jolene to play Old T'Pol and start it with the second generation.. that way if you do use some actors from ENT they can already be older.

Those are two great untold stories of ENT.

11. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like "Carbon Creek" a lot. It was way better than "Carpenter Street," which I often confuse it with because of the moderately-similar names.

12. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I liked it, but I tend to enjoy offbeat episodes like that.

13. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked it a lot. It was clearly a cheaper filler episode, so I took it for what it was, but was pleasantly surprised.
    It reminded me a bit of 11:59 from VOY, which I hated. But I liked Carbon Creek because of the culture shock aspect that always makes these types of things fun, such as Carpenter St, TVH, Year Of Hell etc. The fact it wasn't technically one of the cast didn't bother me as much as it did in 11:59. I thought the story was nice, and the characters worked well.
    How a Vulcan managed to survive his life without being detected through any illness, accidental ear slips, Pon Farr sex-rage etc is beyond me.

One of the surprisingly good episodes of S2 for me.

14. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I LOVED Carbon Creek. Very cool, charming little episode that told a nice story.

"I Love Lucy" is on tonight!

15. Mike Have-Not

The thing is, left "in the air" about the vailidity of her story, I would've assumed she was BS'ing (I am a skeptic by nature, apparently), and I'm not sure how I would've felt about that :-p

16. Bishop76

Yeah, I tend to be a skeptic too, but sometimes I like endings that are left open to inerpretation like Pan's Labyrinth or Inception - I don't always need everything spelled out for me.

Love your avatar btw - I know I've seen that before, though - where's that from?

17. Mike Have-Not

Thanks.

It's from the DS9 Technical Manual. From the "Defiant Project" patch or whatever. I just photoshopped out all the stuff surrounding the ship. It's slogan was "Assimilate this!"
    Haha!

18. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Not my favorite, but definitely fun.

19. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

20. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Probably my favorite ENT episode.