Does TOS Still Look Futuristic to You?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ZapBrannigan, Apr 1, 2013.

1. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed!

2. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Blade Runner still looks futuristic to me, barring the signs for the various no-longer-in-business companies. Almost no other science-fiction television series or feature film, old or new, looks convincingly futuristic to me.

3. comsol

comsol That Guy Premium Member

For everyone who loved the design of 2001: A Space Odyssey I strongly recommend a book called 2001: Lost Science which is full of original drawings and behind the scenes photos from the collection of Frederick Ordway, who was a special consultant from the Alabama Space and Rocket Center for Stanley Kubrick. I love 2001 and this is probably my favorite book on the film.

4. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the reference. I would aslo advise buying the long out of print 2001: Filming the Future by Piers Bizony. That book is filled with wonderful photos of miniatures, sets, etc. Still one of the best visions of sci-fi vehicle design ever filmed.

5. comsol

You're welcome. I do have the Bizony book (both editions), and as good as it is, the other book blows it away.

6. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

do you guys know if that long-rumored 2001 vfx book by a guy named larson is anywhere near publication? I remember corresponding with him about it several years back (possibly on the hobbytalk.com website), and it is some kind of full-on labor of love, done with a lot of cooperation from Trumbull, and based on something like 80 interviews.

When i was editing a big article on 2001 back in 2000, I thought I was going to get a trip out to see the Ordway archives. Seriously SERIOUSLY bummed me that didn't happen.

I hadn't picked up LOST SCIENCE due to the price, but maybe now I will have to reconsider.

7. Praetor Baldric

Praetor Baldric Lieutenant Commander

Looks more futuristic now compared to futuristic stuff that is out now which looks all too similar to the present.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  8. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

yeah, the future is never what it used to be, but it should've been in this case.

9. comsol

It's pricey, but well worth it.

10. jaygibson77

jaygibson77 Lieutenant Red Shirt

It has a dated look about it now. But it has its charm. Futuristic? Yes, I still buy it as being in space.

I tried to like Enterprise but one of my beefs was it had too much of a TNG era feel to it. I wanted more TOS era buttons and toggles.

And every time I come to the conclusion TOS is so outdated it's cartoony, episodes like Trials and Tribbleations and In a Mirror, Darkly proves just what a classic it was and still is.

11. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I couldn't agree more. Science fiction seems to have lost the ability to imagine the future. Even in the NuTrek films, the scenes on Earth look a lot more like 2030 than 2259.

12. Praetor Baldric

Praetor Baldric Lieutenant Commander

Very true!