Why can't Rockstar create Star Trek game for PS3?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by steveda19, Oct 12, 2014.

1. steveda19

steveda19 Lieutenant Commander

I mean free roaming not playing the story. I want to roam into other worlds or even violate the neutral zone and encounter against the Romulans.
    [​IMG]
    I just know how to respond and deal with them.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Because they don't have a license, plus they're beginning to move their resources to the PS4 and the XboxOne.

3. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think their style is a good fit for Trek. I'd be down for Bioware, Obsidian, or Telltale doing their own take on it. Even though all 3 are just as incredibly unlikely.

Heck, the new Star Trek Timelines by Disruptor Beam sounds promising to me... at least on paper.

4. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

They don't have the licensing, most likely.

5. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Also Rockstar have in many ways become bigger than the license. They already hold the license to the thing they do best, why pay someone else to for theirs? If they were going to do a game set in space/the future, they'd probably generate their own IP.

Your best hope is for a smaller developer to be hired by the licence holder (Paramount) to make an open-world Star Trek game- but this effectively has happened, and that game is Star Trek Online. Get to it.

6. BillJ

But Star Trek Online blows.

7. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

^By how much?

8. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Now I have visions of stealing a Defiant-class, changing the station to Klingon rock, and then flying around shooting pulse phasers at every ship I see until a six-star warning level sees hero ships trying to blow me up.

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

This. Licenses are expensive, and I doubt there will be a new Trek game for a long time after what happened to the last one. If I were the license holder, I'd be very reluctant to hand it over.

10. BillJ

I think CBS needs to hand it over to someone that knows how to make video games people want to play. Either Rockstar or BioWare would be good choices.

11. Destructor

Bioware would have been great- and I think they considered making a Star Trek game in the day, but ultimately realized they would rather make their own IP (Mass Effect, which is basically a Star Trek game) rather than pay to be tied to the existing one. Which is a huge disappointment, but I'm glad we have both Star Trek and ME.

12. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

The problem with the Trek franchise will always be getting the balance between combat and non-combat right. Games tend to focus on fighting but often - as with STO when it started - to the exclusion of every other method of problem solving.

I think the best Trek game to date is Away Team - you were forced to use stealth in some missions and had to minimise unnecessary casualties on a few missions. Some just couldn't be beaten by simply pew-pewing through them (Borg cube infiltration to rescue crew).

BTW does Away Team work on Win8? Thinking of tracking down a copy to replay it but not if it won't work on newer systems.

13. Destructor

I never played Away Team but you make it sound cool, I should check it out.

14. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Between the two, Bioware would be the better one. Destructor is right. With the success of KOTOR, I think they started looking at the possibility of making a Star Trek game. I remember hearing some news about that, but that the plans fell through, and in the end, ended up making what we know as Mass Effect. Personally, I think that ended up being better for Bioware, as they had full control of their own property and weren't saddled with restrictions on what they could or couldn't do.

Personally, I don't think Rockstar would have been a great fit. As Jim Gamma points out the balance between combat and non-combat, they've always been known for their violent games and their ideology behind their game design wouldn't sit well with the Trek franchise.

I'd much prefer open-world in the sense of the Elder Scrolls games, playing as an officer in first-person and getting assigned to away-teams on different planets while completing tasks. Sort of like a combination of the gameplay from 25th Anniversary and Elder Scrolls RPGs, and with the choice of being diplomatic in certain situations.