Star Trek: The Doomsday Machine - Special Edition Screencaps

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Professor Moriarty, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

"Enhangarate." :rommie:

That's beautiful, Prof. Simply beautiful.

2. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Welcome back indeed!

My suggestion? Maybe you could put some kind of wall-mounted clamps or fold-away arms, something that one could hold a variety of heavy-duty power tools, work lamps, or even act as a multi-axis stand for letting guys change those celing lights.

It wouldn't even need to be that detailed or complicated. A Canadarm paired with a rotary CNC tool changer (which is apt since CNCs were in use and rapidly advancing then) would be perfect and something that Jefferies could have come up.

3. Praetor

BTW, here are a couple of nifty work bee reference images (one and two) in case you need 'em.

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Here may be a way to bring the Doomsday Machine to life:
    http://www.wired.com/design/2013/09...that-makes-3d-models-from-any-old-photograph/
    http://3dsom.com/

I seem to remember an article that required two photos for the effect to work, but the one above seems to only need one.

What is more, is that it will at least try to build it's own reconstruction, even if faulty. I can't halp but wonder if it might allow some fuding if you used, say, two paintings--like McQuarries Planet of the Titans Enterprise. The fore and aft are different, but the program might allow a compromise, that you could adjust manually.

Doomsday Machine looks simple enough to try this trick on. Another Trek ship might allow nice artifacts that would look cool on their own

Other links:

Make 2D into 3D?
    http://programming.itags.org/matlab/10142/?title=matlabconversion+of+2d+image+into+3d+image
    Slit scan objects cheaply
    http://makeprojects.com/Project/Flatten-3D-objects-using-Slit-Scan-photography/761/1
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=155626&page=2
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1204.1415 Super-camera

5. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@publiuser - fascinating technology!

6. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Here’s a work-in-progress image of my intrepretation of a TOS-era cargo management unit (better known as the “Work Bee”).

[​IMG]

Cargo Management Unit. Click to enanthophilate.

This interpretation is based on the clever original design by Andrew Probert for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, with a few TOS-isms thrown in and some liberties taken (images and blueprints for the ST:TMP version of the Work Bee are hard to come by, so I had to make educated guesses here and there).

Only basic colors have been applied for now; please feel free to ignore any textures you don’t like cuz they won’t be there for long. Modeling is about 80% complete at this point; still to come:
    • Finish applying the “zebra stripes” to the starboard and rear surfaces
    • Model the rear panel, main thrusters, and ventral surface of the craft
    • Model the “attachment arms” that bolt onto the sides of the bee
    • Apply final textures to everything

7. Praetor

Beautiful, Prof! I love the arm buttons and the red and black control box.

8. blssdwlf

Nice going!

9. Professor Moriarty

Still have a ways to go on this, but it's getting closer. This test video is strictly so that I can see where I still need to work on the textures and modeling. I already spotted at least two big problems with the forward thruster pods (i.e., I forgot to texture them :D), the positioning of the workbee logo is messed up and overall I think the general hull color is just a little too dingy. But... it's getting closer.

http://youtu.be/sKsJ0X1mNv0

[​IMG]

10. STRenegade

STRenegade Commander Red Shirt

Could always try something like this:
    [​IMG]

11. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd use the shuttle look but cut it to a one person cockpit
    make it half the size and get rid of the small circular engines
    on the side unless your doing a TOS Shuttle Pod :)

12. Praetor

Meh, why not just use the existing workbee, as the Prof has done? If it's in use at least from 2273-2373, what's a few years further back from 2273? :)

13. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well before seeing that picture I would have used the workbee but I would have flattened all the curves making it more angular
    that would have suggested an earlier version of the craft. but it looks great the way it is also :)

14. Professor Moriarty

One thing that I am considering is making my TOS Workbee white or light grayish-green. No one has ever seen a Workbee from the TOS era, so who is to say that they have always been school bus yellow?

On the other hand, the whole reason I am building this model in the first place is to have some familiar-looking equipment to put in my hangar deck, and the yellow Workbee will make a nice color contrast from the cool blues and grays of the Enterprise shuttle bay. Hmm...

15. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First, this is a beautiful texturing job, Professor. So I'm not questioning your talent, but I keep looking at the black and yellow stripes and something's wrong about them. When I look at contemporary vehicles, the only place I see such striping is where there's something obviously dangerous ... more so than the vehicle itself. It just feels odd to decorate it with caution stripes. Maybe black and yellow plates around the thrusters, or black and yellow on any gripper attachments, or even stripes around the hatch?

I like the idea of seeing this in Starfleet Hull Gray, too, but it's obvious you're deliberately looking for a color that we immediately associate with construction vehicles.

16. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The caution tape was added for DS9, I think.

17. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was a TOS-style workbee in one of the past calendar images, painted gray like the shuttles. Took me a few minutes to find it, but it's the January 2005 picture. And I know the ones in TMP were yellow, but the washed-out color of that movie makes them look white-ish to me.

18. Professor Moriarty

I tend to agree, but the studio model built for Star Trek: The Motion Picture has these stripes:

http://stratoartblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/workbee-christies1.jpg

But then again, here's what Maurice said:

Maurice, the link you posted is blocked... what evidence are you trying to show for your assertion? This is the first time I've heard anyone say that the ST:TMP workbee was modified for one of the TV series.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  19. Professor Moriarty

Hmmm.

[​IMG]
    You can have any color you want, as long as it's white. Click to emwhiten.

[LEFT]Now that I'm seeing her in white I'm kinda leaning in this direction. And now the stripes really stick out.

Hmmm.
    [/LEFT]
    [​IMG]

20. blssdwlf

Ditto - I like the white over the yellow as well.