JJ Abrams Was Kinda Right About Trek Needing To Get Its Act Together

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by slappy, Aug 28, 2015.

1. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Re: JJ Abrams Was Kinda Right About Trek Needing To Get Its Act Togeth

Thank God I am NOT a fan! :) I just love Star Trek and Star Wars.

About the only person I wouldn't ever want involved in a Star Trek or Star Wars movie is Uwe Boll. Barring that, bring on more Star Trek and Star Wars! :)

2. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Oh certainly such people are most likely to purchase things, as long as they don't see it as a marketing push, something like what J.J. proposed. From that perspective, a unified marketing ploy makes things seem cheap and artificial, which might push someone like that away. This is all conjecture, of course. I know people like this, and at one time I was pretty close to being like the example I've given above. So I figured there has to be more people who are like the way I was back when Star Trek first hit my idealist side.

In other words, "it's not about the money! To suggest a unified merchandising racket cheapens Gene's vision for humanity; a humanity where money is no longer a necessity, and we work together to better ourselves! I own all the DVDs! I could show you that in every episode, or pull out one of my magazines and show you where Gene discussed a utopia for all! Let's see... it should be somewhere behind my Franz Joseph manuals..."

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just popping in to point out that those rumours of Abrams wanting a multimedia "thing" for reboot Trek, including movies, TV shows and videogames, are completely unsourced and could be any old idiot on the web wanking up nonsense.

That's all :)

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is so.

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

The internet does not lie. You must be the one lying, you lying liar who lies.

Wait, but if you're on the internet, that means you cannot lie, but if you cannot lie, then the lie you cited must be the truth, but a lie cannot be the truth, because you are obviously... lying. Illogical! illogical! Norman, Coordinate!

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Well...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_(2013_video_game)

7. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I am too. :brickwall:

8. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting that the people who say "you've still got new novels of the old series to enjoy" should finish "against Abrams' will". I did dislike that the reboot seemed to wipe away what had come before and it makes sense that Abrams wanted it to.

I think the Star Wars novels are pretty minor in sales (Abrams did wipe the old ones out there) and Marvel comics fans probably resent the comics being made more like the films (or minimizing the X-Men and Fantastic Four) so I don't think consistency really makes for greater popularity.

9. BillJ

It didn't wipe away anything. They deliberately went out of their way to come up with an explanation that catered to die-hard fans.

And have gotten pissed on for it, for the last seven years. I honestly wish they would've went out of their way to blow the whole damned Prime universe up. That way, the complaints would actually make sense.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since Abrams himself is no longer directing these films, I wonder if his draconian licensing terms can be eased just a tad? Perhaps we will one day see those novels?

This sentence is false.

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I doubt it from the summaries they were covering stuff Star Trek Into Darkness dealt with.

12. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

The "Abrams is out to erase oldTrek" story was debunked by Forbes, Trekmovie, and probably other sources as well.

Not since 1996.

Still on the table.

And the true "villain" revealed. CBS and their (allegedly supported by the numbers) lack of interest.

13. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

^THIS x 1000!

But they get pissed on anyways because...well.... I ain't gonna say it because I don't need a warning or infraction from the mods, but I think those that know me know how I'll finish that sentence. :)

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I'm sure actual plot points can still be covered, but if Abrams himself isn't involved with Trek anymore, his heavy-handed licensing terms could theoretically be overturned, couldn't they? Just spitballin'.

15. BillJ

But it is still his company making the film.

16. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

Star Wars has permeated the zeitgeist of pop culture over the last 40 years unlike anything else ever has. You should read a comic book, because continuity/canon means about 0 in marvel/dc/image/etc. What's happening in the movies has very little to do with what's happening in the comic books other than loose adaptations. And they certainly haven't discontinued comic books, or retconned anything, because of their movie universe's.

Star Trek is just not comparable to either of these things in my opinion. The "lack of a unified vision" has nothing to do with the fact that Star Trek just isn't as popular as Star Wars, and never will be. I love Star Trek, but I know what it is. It's a great sci-fi, and not a pop culture phenomenon in the same vein as Star Wars.

17. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

It seems to me that Trek was always into mass merchandising, just like SW. It's just that you have two different styles at work.

With Star Wars you have light sabers. With Star Trek, you have phasers.

No comparison. Light sabers are going to have a much larger marketing appeal, especially to kids and both casual and devoted fans.

With SW, you have Darth Vader, the force, rebels, The Jedi, dark side, the Sith, all types of political intrigue and tons of aliens.

With Nu Trek you have Kirk, Spock, Nero, the Enterprise, Khan and some aliens. At the moment there isn't enough meat for mass merchandising like SW.

SW's style and universe will always have that edge in merchandising.

18. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Along those same lines, the tropes behind Star Wars have a greater appeal, I think. The good guys are truly good, the bad guys are truly bad, and the people in the middle keep the lines between them very clearly marked.

Star Trek is more about humanity's wheelings and dealings 300 years from now, in a more utopian future. Kids can't really play with that on the same level that they can an astromech droid, Darth Vader, and a lightsaber duel with Luke. I mean, there's not really much of a comparison. Look at the figures:

"Ooh, here's Captain Picard in command jacket, with cup of earl gray tea, PADD, and phaser."

vs.

"The Lord Vader, with black biosuit, and lightsaber. Use his force wielding action to crush your enemies and assure victory for the Empire!"

The marketing is completely different. While it was more kid focused in the 60s and 70s, modern Trek merch seems to be more geared toward adults who want to have keepsakes of their childhood, while Star Wars kind of says "this IS your childhood! Buy these and relive it again!"

I'm not saying that's every case, but it kind of feels that way. Star Trek is the optimist in you that likes to see humanity prosper and prove that we get better as a species, overcoming hunger, waste, want, and greed. Star Wars is the kid in you that says "let's force choke that rebel soldier and cut off Luke's arm again! Then we'll invade the Hoth Rebel base with our AT-ATs!"

No contest.

I mean, I saw a yard sale today with Star Wars figures, and my first thought was "ooh! I want to own these! I have to buy them!" I resisted, of course, because I have no money, but the desire was there because of the way the packages were made, the characters inside, I wanted to be a part of the story. When I see Star Trek figures, I don't have that same thought. Instead, it's more like "I could get this. I might like to have that on my desk," but the kid in me isn't interested as much. Again, that may be marketing technique.

That being said, I think the new Trek movies have more of a sci-fi/fantasy adventure flavor, and if the merchandising were done right, could appeal more to kids, but I don't know if that's the direction they want to go. I'm all for it, but then I like Star Trek and Star Wars.

19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I was 26 when Star Wars came out, so the reliving childhood angle has never worked for me.

20. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well Marvel gave Spidey organic webbing for a time and cancelled the Fantastic Four but those may be outliers.