Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Rick Remender is fast becoming one of my favourite writers. As I have mentioned in the past, I'm not a huge Ghost Rider fan and know only maybe the basics of his mythos, but what I have read in the past two issues...Remender is the writer who should handle the character next. Another theme that I think is being explored that the four characters being used all have checkered/dark pasts that haunt them. Flash with his constant ongoing struggle against alcoholism which the symbiont has slowly started to use to corrupt him, Red Hulk...we all know about Thunderbolt Ross, X-23 has had to deal with being a killer clone, Ghost Rider of course and they're issues, so I think that is why all of these characters kind of gel in this book. I really have enjoyed Red Hulk's development since he was first introduced by Loeb...it's amazing how other writers have handled him. He actually has started to become a favourite character of mine...

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Meant to mention I also read last night-

Scarlet Spider #2 - Good read. Despite not knowing the full ins/outs of what happened during Spider Island yet I feel I'm getting enough snap shots via flashbacks to carry me. From a "chicken/egg" argument it's nice that there is a meta human bad guy running around as an assassin in Houston before our hero decided to make it his home. Sometimes the narrative by characters is "We didn't have super villains before we had a super hero". I'm going to keep playing this out as I suspect our rescued young lady has more to reveal about the situation and even herself. While I wish the costume were a bit more throwback with obvious ties to the 90's outfit this one is growing on me.

Incredible Hulk #5 - Well now that we know who split Banner from the Hulk I'm a bit disapointed I didn't see it coming. I was thinking it might be The Leader, seemed a cliched enough angle but it really was
    Dr. Doom
    . Not that either would be a good choice but you just know his "fee" is going to play out as crucial in some story down the road. I don't even look for him to call the marker in anytime soon.
    I'm still hoping that Banner can turn into A Hulk and hope that Hulk is Gray!! That while the surgeon separated out Green from Banner that another psyche still lingers. All 3 flavors of Hulk fighting in one scene that isn't imaginary or inside someones mind would please me.

3. Admiral_Young

I like the fact that Kaine's new costume isn't just redesign of Ben's, as much as I wanted the actual costume to be used myself. While he is inspired by his "brother" and wants to redeem himself, he really isn't the sentimental type. One of the reasons why I love what has been done with Kaine recently is that he is so different in character to Peter or Ben, yet still has similarities.

@Captain Craig...I scanned your Hulk review and saw the spoilers(as the thread title says though spoilers are allowed in here)...damn. I wish I hadn't read that :( LOL Interesting though and yeah I didn't see that either. Doom has been less "Evil" since joining the Future Foundation.

4. Captain Craig

So I popped into my LCS late this afternoon and I noticed this homage cover of Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Season 9 #6. I did not see this on Wed and I had to buy it just for the cover, something I very rarely do.
    [​IMG]

The Marvel Zombies should recognize this as Tomb of Dracula #10, the first appearance of Blade.
    [​IMG]

I didn't want to start a thread just for this but since it has Marvel ties thought the readers of the thread might get a kick out of it, I did.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^That's awesome. Is there stuff with Nikki in the issue or is that just a joke variant cover?

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, usually I don't much care which cover I get, but I HAD to have the TOD homage. Got the last one of the shelf.

7. Captain Craig

@JD, it does appear flipping through the issue that it's a story about Nikki. It looks like it takes place at two different points of her life. Mike may be able to verfiy, seems he's following the title.

8. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, lots of Nikki in the issue focusing on the whole "slayer with a child" aspect.

9. Admiral_Young

There is a Buffy Season Nine thread. We just discussed that issue, which was awesome and actually is a pretty huge issue plot wise. It does indeed feature Niki Wood and does jump back and forth between the past and present.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=138332&highlight=Buffy+Season

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  10. Admiral_Young

Just finished Incredible Hulk #5 and this thing is great. Doom was awesome, we get a little explanation of why Banner is so pyschotic right now. He's dealing with very severe separation anxiety. We've seen them apart before, but Doom literally split them, taking one away from the other. I liked Bruce's comment that he sees some resemblance in Amanda. I'm guessing she is related to Victor somehow but estranged.

11. Captain Craig

I think the obvious person to refuse them eventually will now be Reed. Having Doom in play only makes that seem the likely scenario.
    I still want Banner to Hulk into Fixit before this over. I'd be fine with that as status quo for awhile actually.

12. Admiral_Young

I don't know about Reed as an obvious choice, Doom is a member of the Future Foundation, he was shown in his white cloak, given how things are going in this book, Hulk could have easily have gone to Reed and convinced him to split him, instead he went to Victor. I don't think Reed will be involved at all. I'm guessing they're going to be put back together so soon. Jason Aaron writes for the long term with his plots...this just speaks to me as the start of something larger going on. I'd not be shocked if both Hulk and Bruce are convinced to join Amanda's squad.

Finished Scarlet Spider #2: This is really good. I'm not a huge Chris Yost fan but he seems to be a big Kaine fan and that's a good thing. The art is great for this book, I really like Kaine's costume. Interesting that he hasn't called himself the Scarlet Spider yet. That will come probably when he's comfortable giving himself a name. I also liked the fact that he removed his mask in the hospital and didn't immediately put it back on. Peter or Ben would have done that. Kaine doesn't really care. He's going to have to learn to protect his own identity. The connection with the girl he saved is going to be interesting given that Kaine has only really loved one woman before. Interesting as well we keep getting snippets of his past. This book is living up to the hype IMO.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  13. Admiral_Young

Just saw on Bleeding Cool that it would appear that Mark Waid is continuing the Black Cat /Daredevil affair (it's not really a romance yet). This is very interesting. We know Felicia loves masked men (literally) so this relationship makes a lot of sense. We also know from Peter's reaction to it he's not exactly thrilled about it either. So it'll be interesting to see if this develops into a triangle or if Waid just has Matt and Felicia together which I would much rather prefer. Enough triangles involving Peter for now.

14. Captain Craig

I've been flipping through DD on the stands every month, going to get a trade eventually.

Was that
    Karen Page by change?

15. Admiral_Young

Karen's been dead since the end of Kevin Smith's run...not having read the issue yet I can't say for sure though.

The Hulk must stay angry starting in May!!! Jason Aaron talks about his second arc on "The Incredible Hulk". Looks like we're getting a chalk full of guest stars as well, including Punisher, Logan, and Kraven the Hunter. Steve Dillon will also be collaborative. Maybe I'm wrong and they are separated. Or perhaps Banner joins the Monster Squad to chase after the Hulk? All kinds of interesting things could happen in this book.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvel-next-big-thing-reveal-120215.html

I'm surprised with how much I've enjoyed it so far.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  16. Admiral_Young

Avengers #22: This keeps on getting better. This is how Dark Reign should have progressed in the first place IMO. The Marvel President doesn't seem to know what to do with Norman. Not that I blame him too much, Osborn has always been a very good manipulator. The art is fantastic and Bendis is finally entertaining me with his writing. Perhaps it is because it is a story line of which I'm interested. As a life long Spider-Man fan it is still weird for me to have Norman Osborn elevated to such a global position of power in the Marvel Universe. I know others have not liked his Lex Luthor like elevation but to me it is absolutely fascinating. I still think he's going to self destruct and I continue to be antsy to see the return of the Green Goblin.

Avenging Spider-Man #4: This also continues to be good. I notice Clint no longer seems to have his mask any more. I've forgotten. Was his identity exposed or did he reveal it during Bendis' run? Anyway, he and Peter make a pretty good team up. What Peter did for him at the end with the shot was pretty cool as well. It seems the premise of this book is that Captain America assigns various different Avengers with Spider-Man to take on different types of "specialized" assignments. Cap guest stars next month. I can't wait until they get to Tony.

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Generation Hope 16-- I am going to miss this book after next issue. In this issue, Kenji makes his move against Hope, the mutant messiah. But is he totally in the wrong? Who is the villain here? Over on the CBR boards I read some comments that some people didn't like this book because of the lack of an arch-foe, but Generation Hope has been much more subtle than that. The greatest threat(s) come from within.

Uncanny X-Men 7-- This issue slowed things down a bit. Kieron Gillen has said that this issue was originally supposed to be the end of the Tabula Rasa arc, but there was just too much story to tell, so he had to expand it by an issue. In turn, this issue feels a little padded out. Sadly, this meant reducing the next arc, the final team-up with the Avengers before AvX, by an issue.

Avengers 22/ New Avengers 21-- I have to say that I am not totally in agreement with Admiral_Young about the current Avengers storyline. The whole Dark Reign thing was just too recent for me to be re-hashing it. I haven't gotten over being sick of Norman Osborn yet.:lol: That said, I think I enjoyed New Avengers better this week. The battle with Clor was fun, and I am liking Doreen/Squirrel Girl a lot more than I thought that I would.

Daredevil 9-- This title continues to impress. Daredevil investigates the disappearance of the missing coffins (including his fathers) all of the way to the Mole Man's kingdom. The final page, where the Mole Man apparently finds what he was looking for, is just creepy.

Winter Soldier 2-- Still awesome. Last issues attempt on the life of Dr. Doom went about as well as expected-- it just made him mad. :lol:

He went on live TV to denounce Norman Osborn and his Avengers during Dark Reign and the news station used his real name.

18. Admiral_Young

^ Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Did he ever have a secret identity? He went maskless for a while in the 70s.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Could it also be an attempt to make him look more like his maskless MCU counterpart?