Spoilers IKS Gorkon: Klingon Empire: A Burning House by KRAD Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Jul 26, 2014.

?

Rate A Burning House

1. Outstanding

20 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Above Average

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Average

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Klingon Empire: A Burning House by Keith R.A. DeCandido

[​IMG]

[LEFT]Blurb:
    They have been the Federation's staunchest allies, and its fiercest adversaries. Cunning, ruthless, driven by an instinct for violence and defined by a complex code of honor, they must push ever outward in order to survive, defying the icy ravages of space with the fire of their hearts. They are the Klingons, and if you think you already know all there is to learn about them...think again.

From its highest echelons of power to the shocking depths of its lowest castes, from its savagely aggressive military to its humble farmers, from political machinations of galactic import to personal demons and family strife, the Klingon Empire is revealed as never before when the captain and crew of the I.K.S. Gorkon finally return to their homeworld of Qo'noS in a sweeping tale of intrigue, love, betrayal, and honor.

Excerpt from my 2008 review:

Overall, A Burning House is the most insightful book about Klingons since the late John M. Ford’s The Final Reflection, in my opinion. If you even have a minimal interest in the race you should definitely check this book out, you won’t be disappointed.

[/LEFT]

2. Tirius

Tirius Captain Captain

Re: IKS Gorkon: Klingon Empire: A Burning House by KRAD Review Thread

While I believe there really are no weak novels in the Gorkon series, this remains one of my favorite entries. We've not seen that much of civilian life in the Empire, but it all feels so natural here. To me, the best stories are always a mix of character development and world building, and we have both aplenty here.

Wol was definately one of KRAD's, if not the entire novelverse's, most interesting and well-rounded characters, and the Pheben arc is definately my favorite part of the story. Never mind the fact that grandmothers are also a type of character the author writes very well, lol.

An easy "outstanding" vote.

3. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I really liked the follow-up to "Sons of Mogh" in this. Question: when in the DS9 relaunch does ABH take place?

4. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

After Words of DS9: Bajor, about the same time as Worlds of DS9: Andor.

(Councillor Krim is mentioned)

5. Judith Sisko

Judith Sisko Commander Red Shirt

This was my favorite of the series.

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved it.

7. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

This was my favourite of KRAD's Klingon focused books. I read the Klingon series straight through when I first got back into treklit in 2008, and I was really sad to find out that it was the last one published. Hopefully we get another Klingon Empire book down the line. I'd like to hear from Wol, Klag, and the rest of the main characters in Klag's fleet :klingon:

8. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

And Kurn!!!! Wtf has happened to him!? (and Toq and the IIS guy's plan for them)

9. Disco

Disco Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Excellent series. I keep praying for more Klag books.

10. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Outstanding book. We never did get to see Lorgh's fall back plan though. Hope one day we'll get another krad novel to follow up.

Throughout the series I've also appreciated the careful mix of john m ford concepts and ron d moore klingons. Really well done.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

We did find out a little bit about what happened to a few of the characters after ABH in Q&A. I don't remember how much it said or what characters talked about.

12. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Actually, we saw several of the Gorkon crew in A Singular Destiny. Klag is a general in the post-Destiny timeframe, commander of the Fifth Fleet, of which the Gorkon is his flagship. All the captains in the fleet (Toq and Leskit among them) are people who served under Klag. Wol is now QaS DevwI' of First Company.

13. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have read it last year and I don´t regret it. I even read Diplomatic Implausibility. Novels that weren´t translated into german. A great insight into Klingon Society.

14. loghaD

loghaD Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Somewhere between Above average and Outstanding for me; hard to say because it's been quite a few years since I read it. Definitely an great read; would love to see it made into a series!

I've never really been a big Rodek fan, so the amount of attention he got was a negative in my book.
    That's not really a critique, though: I never quite dug Rodek as a concept (whether in DS9 or in the books), but I still think his parts in this book were well-written, in particular his confrontation with his once-brother; I really enjoyed that chapter.

I am, however, a big fan of Wol, and I also enjoy learning about the details of civilian life in the Klingon Empire, so the Pheben III storyline was a big highlight for me.

Likewise, the interaction between Kurak and Leskit were great; ordering food, complaining about the First City's architecture... Loved it!

I mostly enjoyed B'Oraq's storyline (she's been a consistently great character throughout the Gorkon books, IMO), and think the story of her and Martok wanting to improve the state of Klingon medicine is a great device.
    I'm a bit critical of the portrayal of Klingon doctors, as I felt the more conservative ones (Kowag and his ilk) were almost a bit cartoonish in their opposition to modern medicine.
    With that being said, that's pretty consistent with how the Klingons have been portrayed throughout many of the TV series.

Anyhow, that part really took an interesting turn after a certain incident with a certain aircar. That part ran the risk of going down as a weird plot twist, but I thought it was really well-executed and made me want to read more; possibly my favorite part of the book.

Lastly, I would like to say that I appreciate the fact that DeCandido seems to take the Klingon language seriously in his novels; he strikes a very good balance between using it properly while still being accessible, and includes a good glossary at the end.
    I also enjoy the little nods to The Final Reflection sprikled throughout the book.

All in all, I feel that throughout the shows, the Klingons have been reduced more and more to a pretty boring and one-dimensional stereotype as dumb space-barbarians. This is one of those books that tries to elevate them to something greater, and it manages to do so without turning a blind eye to what's come before.

It'd definitely go on a my recommended reading-list for anybody who wants to write a Klingon story, along with The Final Reflection, Klingon for the Galactic Traveler, Kahless, Blood Will Tell (comic book series), the first two parts of the IKS Gorkon series and the short story loDnI'pu' vavpu' je.

Very much looking forward to reading Diplomatic Implausibility and The Art of the Impossible when I get the chance!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  15. Kilana2

You really should read those two novels. Diplomatic Implausibility deals with Worf as Ambassador. Art of Impossible is Lost Era novel, if I´m not mistaken, featuring Elias Vaughn and General Worf, among others.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  16. KRAD

Thanks so much, loghaD, for the thoughtful commentary. It's greatly appreciated.

17. loghaD

loghaD Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, I have the Kindle version of Diplomatic Implausibility waiting for me when I find the time and peace of mind to read it :)

I understand The Art of the Impossible also explores Ja'rod's character, which is very interesting to me, as Duras is one of my favorite Klingons.

Well, thank you for taking such good care of our (variably) pink-blooded friends :)

18. Kilana2

I enjoyed the mirror universe Duras showing up, e. g. in Rise like Lions. David Mack is King! At least almost (Elvis is still King).

Come to think of it.... K´Ehleyr is also an important character in the MU, I recommend the whole MU storyline.

19. KRAD

Yup, Ja'rod is a supporting character. In fact, the entire Khitomer Massacre is dramatized in the novel.

20. aj1981

aj1981 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The Art of the Impossible is one of my top 3 favourite Star Trek novels of all time. I think I must have read it at least 2 dozen times since it was published. KRAD did a magnificent job of spinning a couple of lines of dialogue from "The Way of the Warrior" into an opus that spans the 24th century with a seemingly minor event having a major influence on galactic events and the lives of two TNG regulars in particular. I could go on and on but I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it.