Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Those would actually be the stuff that is "standard" in a sentai season. They have their side arms. They have mecha

but in 2011 The ranger keys the Gokaigers had sold like hot cakes. They're even coming back for a special cross over episode where the Gokaigers return next week too

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wild Force had auxiliary animals that would show up. They started this whole "gotta collect them all" idea

Goseiger-Megaforce had cards

Ninninger had shuriken discs

Ninja storm had power spheres which were actually a nod to gumball machines in Hurricanger

Go-busters there was no gimmick to collect. Just a few mecha

As you've seen in Dino Charge/Kyoryuger the next year they went something more "safe"

loud samba music, loud colors with playskool dinosaurs

It was a hit.

Toei seems to regard Go-busters as the black sheep of the newer series

BTW here's episode 22 for you Chris

http://www.jatoku.com/video/tokumei...2-english-subbed-the-beautiful-avatar-escape/

And an alternate Go-buster episode playlist

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnrkgR-NzbW5a4hVELlT3KOsyCDd6c7ZK

Opening is not muted

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh I see, you mean added collectible/trading items, like the Pokemon/Digimon/YuGiOh model.

Enter's Metavirus cards look like they could've been a collectible item, but that was just for the villains.

I guess the "batteries" are the collectible bonus items.

Thanks!

3. Samurai8472

Exactly. Here's a small wiki that explains it

http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Collectible_Devices

Collectible items of the year that work with the DX zords for more play value.

Like Zyouhger this year has auxiliary animal cubes aside from the core cubes.

4. Christopher

Just finished the big epic 2-parter in episodes 29-30 of Go-Busters. It seems like a season finale, but there are still 20 episodes left, so I wonder where it will go from here. Anyway, it was pretty intense and dramatic. Again, it's a shame the series wasn't better appreciated.

There is one unresolved question about the Go-Busters, though: Does busting make them feel good? You'd think that's the sort of thing a theme song would address...

5. Christopher

Nearing the end of Go-Busters now, and the story's gone to some very interesting places. This is a clever one. Although it's a bit weird to see a Japanese series built so much around Christmas and the Western-calendar New Year. I mean, I know how much influence the West has had on Japan, but it's still mostly a Shintoist/Buddhist country. Looking into it a bit, it seems it's a secular holiday that became popular due to the influence of American TV and media, but not really a hugely important cultural tradition. I wonder if maybe they played it up so much here because it's an opportunity for Bandai to sell toys? (I like the Japanese lyrics to "Jingle Bells," though, at least as translated in the subtitles. They're much classier than the English version. Something like "A ring of light fills the sky," that sort of thing.)

Man, the singer who does the voiceovers for Tategami Lioh and the Powered Custom transformation has a really annoying voice. Almost as annoying as the techno music that plays when they transform or use their special weapons.

A very clever bit in episode 47 that went by so fast I almost missed it: They showed the Powered Custom transformation from the POV of the person inside the armor. A Buster's-eye view. That's really neat.

6. Samurai8472

He's actually an accomplished singer that has sang fight songs and ending themes for past sentai's

http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Ichirou_Mizuki

Gekiranger/Jungle Fury's ending theme

I can understand the constant barge of repetitive phrases. Its just a way to drill things into the little kids brains

Sometimes you have background music plus morpher jingles and morpher phrases. All at the same time

They're trying to stimulate the kids

"Let's Morphin!"

;)

7. Christopher

I know, I looked him up, but that doesn't make his speaking voice (or shouting voice, rather) any less irritating. I'm not crazy about his singing voice either, though the woman who did the main title themes has a beautiful voice. I quite like the melody of the first theme's refrain, the "Busters Ready, Go!" line.

Which is aggravating, because I want to listen to the background music (which is pretty great) and the jingles are an irritating distraction. Fortunately they mixed the jingles way down in the last few episodes' big action sequences.

The climactic story arc was pretty good, and Enter's plans were quite clever. (Given that Enter was explicitly playing a game in the last arc, I wonder if there was a deliberate Ender's Game pun in there after all.) It was all nice and dramatic, though the resolution of Jin's arc was a bit cursory. Overall, this was a good season. I hope it comes to be appreciated in time, despite its unprofitability.

8. Samurai8472

LOL. Both themes were sung by a man

When they switched themes midway through the season that was when people started asking questions

Some were wondering if the show had problems and the production was trying to fix mistakes/steer the boat in the right direction.

There's also the V-Cinema. A special movie/episode. If you watch it you'll see the series try to "lighten" things up and be a bit more goofy(

Also on occasion poke fun at old series tropes

Also if you have time for another few series

Gokaiger

http://kissasian.com/Drama/Kaizoku-Sentai-Goukaiger/Episode-1?id=6544

Zyouhger which you know is currently running

http://kissasian.com/Drama/Doubutsu-Sentai-Zyuohger/Episode-1?id=24315

And some variety.

Kamen Rider Gaim. Probably the best heisei Kamen Rider series so far

http://kissasian.com/Drama/Kamen-Rider-Gaim/Episode-1?id=7831

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  9. Christopher

Oh. That's surprising. To my ear, his voice is feminine-sounding, or at most androgynous. And maybe there were female backup singers in the show's version?

I didn't notice much change in the stories, and they did keep using the original theme song within the episodes right up to the end. I dunno, maybe getting rid of Messiah early was a change in plans, but what came afterward seemed to follow on it pretty organically. And the tone didn't seem to change.

If it's the Protect the Tokyo Enetower movie, I can't find a version that isn't copyright-blocked. But isn't it kind of normal for the V-Cinemas to be lighter, standalone pieces? I think the only one I've seen was the Dairanger movie, and it was quite ridiculous.

I'm curious to see that one, just to get a sense of how much better it handled the anniversary thing than Super Megaforce did. But I'm afraid much of it would go over my head since I've seen so little Super Sentai. Maybe I should get a larger sampling first.

Not sure how interested I am in that. I'm actually more curious about the early, pre-Power Rangers ones, wondering what the best of those are (other than Jetman, of course).

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

for pre-Jetman i would recommend Maskman, Liveman or Bioman.

11. Samurai8472

"Liveman" is supposed to be the end of one of the greatest era's of Super sentai.

The 80's

That's what I heard

No that's the Go-buster movie. This is the V cinema. It is ridiculous but harmless fun.

The Go-busters become an animal sentai. This was a couple of years before Zyouhger aired

I can't wait for the dobutsu type jokes with Zyouhger since there's going to be special DVD episode that pokes fun at that

12. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

I don't think it's necessary. What was great about the anniversary season, was that it didn't wallow incessantly in sentai ''cannon'' or nostalgia, even while celebrating it. The Gokaigers were alien pirates on their own quest, with no connection to Earth and it's sentai lore, so it makes it easy to dive in and go along with them. I've only watched a few series in their entirety, Megaranger, Dekaranger, Magiranger, Gekiranger, and Boukenger, and it wasn't difficult to follow.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is there a way to change the subtitle style on that last video? The white on grey was really hard to see during for a lot of it.
    Is the Boom! Studios MMPR comic a reboot or new stories between the episodes of the TV series?

14. Christopher

From what I've heard about it, it's a little of both -- supposedly in the continuity of the original show (e.g. there's a storyline about Tommy dealing with the psychological aftermath of being turned evil by Rita, which is far deeper than the original show ever got), but updated to the present day (so the Rangers have smartphones and stuff).

15. Christopher

I'm not clear on the difference.

Yeah, that was pretty funny. I liked how they did a parody of an entire Super Sentai season.

16. Samurai8472

"Protect the Tokyo Enetower"

That is the usual summer movie for the current Super Sentai"

V-Cinema's are direct to dvd movies that usually serve as an epilogue for the current season. A last hurrah for the series.

Oh here's Kyoryuger VS Go-busters The great dino battle

Go-busters really gets the shaft though with barely a presense in the team up in favor of a fatter TyrannoRanger

PT1: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=720592757964057
    PT2:
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=720592904630709
    PT3:
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=720593047964028
    PT4:
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=720593154630684

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  17. Christopher

Not sure I'm interested, then.

I'm a little unclear on how the Go-Busters can really fit into a crossover, though. I mean, the setup seems to be an alternate-present sort of thing, where the world is powered by Enetron as a clean energy source and the cityscape is dominated by the massive Enetron tanks. And I assume that's not something that carries over into any of the other series. So do they just ignore the continuity issues?

18. Samurai8472

You should see it for yourself and judge.

I just assume every sentai operates in different districts of Japan.

Usually every season widely ignores the last seasons problems.

Sometimes things remain as easter eggs. There's a curry shop in Abaranger(DinoThunder) that occasionally gets referenced from time to time.

Mostly it's easter eggs when they want to acknowledge the past.

Zyouhgers summer movie will be loaded with easter eggs since it's also an anniversary season

http://www.jefusion.com/2016/06/dobutsu-sentai-zyuohger-movie-animal.html

Doggie Krueger- Dekaranger
    Shafu- Gekiranger
    Torin- Kyoryuger

They will be in the stands of a circus setting during the movie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enertran Drink that J drank

Boukenger chest

Curry from Abaranger

List of Easter eggs

http://www.heroshock.com/?p=24039

19. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, it was a bit of a mess. I'm thinking, contractually to the cast or budgetwise, the Gobusters *had* to be in the next crossover movie, but they couldn't pass up uniting three Dino teams, either. Still, they were treated as guests, and were outshone by two Red Rangers.

Another thing that irked me was that the original five Zyuranger actors were all there, but aside from Red, the four were regulated to VA status. Their voices are distinct enough to sell, but it would've been great to see all of them out of costume, especially since the whole point is nostalgia.

I imagine it has something to do with the producers' inability to get Abareyellow's actress, so they adopted an "All-or-nothing" approach for the Zyu/Abarangers for the sake of consistency. She was the only hold out out of the main casts.

20. Christopher

But the worldbuilding in Go-Busters is just too big for that. Enetron is a clean energy source that's replaced other power sources societywide. Megazords and Buddyroids have been in use for over 13 years as of 2012. The opening titles even give the date as "Neo AD 2012," as if it's supposed to be in some other calendar (and between that and the cataclysmic scene that opened the series, it's clear that somebody was trying to emulate Akira).