Fringe vs The X-Files

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by EmoBorg, Mar 26, 2013.

?

The X-Files Vs Fringe

Poll closed Apr 2, 2013.
  1. Fringe has a better cast

19 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. The X-Files has a better cast

23 vote(s)
    54.8%
  3. Fringe has a better plot

17 vote(s)
    40.5%
  4. The X-Files has a better plot

24 vote(s)
    57.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Personally I loved X-Files stabs at comedy, but that's of course subjective.

2. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah. The girl I dated at the time loved the comedy episodes they did. Problem is, in Fringe there is no straight up "comedy episode", where it has to be made apparent to the audience that "this is a funny one". Nearly every episode has a touch of humor, just some more than others.

I like Supernatural for the same reason.

3. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

X-Files did far, far better standalone episodes. For me, the fetish for serialization demands taking nonsense like the X-Files mythology or Fringe's mythology seriously. A standalone episode makes demands on willing suspension of disbelief. But the self-contradictions in serialization demand suspension of cognition.

4. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

I really enjoyed both shows and watched them both the whole way through. If I have to choose one, I'll choose The X-Files. I was an obsessive fan in my teenage years, jadedly followed it right to the end, and can still pop in a DVD and enjoy a classic episode.

As others have pointed out, XF could tell a huge variety of stories involving a wide array of subject matter (from somewhat-plausible fringe science to totally fantastic otherworldly weirdness). I do think the lighter tone that developed around S6 took some of the show's original intent away, but it obviously needed to make some changes to survive.

I think both shows did develop some problems - XF got too wrapped up in the convoluted conspiracy arc, and basically went on for far too long; and Carter specifically wrote some terribly pretentious material in the later seasons (I applaud Duchovney and Anderson for going through so many flowery monologues without stopping for breath).

Fringe was fantastic too, but personally I didn't agree on some of the directions the writers took. I don't like the "soft reboot" from the beginning of S4, or the Observers turning out to be Nazis. Also, there were some interesting plot elements that could have been handled better (e.g. I would have liked to see more regarding the Cortexiphan experiments and their subjects).

5. TremblingBluStar

While I haven't seen any of S5, I agree with how the observers turned out. They went from "we can't possibly understand them" to just another invading alien force on a scifi show.

6. Dixie Flatline

Dixie Flatline Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi! Long time listener, first time caller. I don't think I missed The X-Files quite as much as I miss Fringe. I don't know if Fringe was as good a show, but I think I liked the characters more, especially Walter.

7. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fringe was great. The X Files was better. IMO of course. :)

8. secretreeve

secretreeve Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

sorry but X=files was a cheap production gummy bear of intolerable weakness.

the first episode i ever saw was on a hospital television the night before my apendix exploded all over the operating theatre at age 7. i've seen a few more episodes over the years and make no valiant effort to forcibly watch anymore than that.

fringe on the other hand is exciting, exploring areas that we all know are possible and or banned. I think fringe was so much better purely because the fact they took risks and was the complete opposite of the complaisant attitude x-files took.

9. TremblingBluStar

Like what? Astral projection? Interdimensional travel? Pyrokinesis?

I wish some of these were possible, but somehow I doubt it!

10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

By an astounding coincidence of cosmic timing, the wife and I happened to resume our X-Files rewatch last night, with "War of the Coprophages", one of the afformentioned comedy episodes. I laughed a lot. :shrug:

Plus, ya know, Bobbie Phillips at her hottest.

11. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

What risks? Everything explored on Fringe had been done on X-Files a couple dozen times over. All you have to do to see that is watch more than three episodes. Fringe didn't take any risks. I'm pretty sure all JJ had to say to sell it was: "We're bringing X-Files back, but our FBI agent is taller and blonder than Gillian Anderson."

12. degra

degra Fleet Captain Newbie

x files easily wins. Fringe was a poor imitation with bland characters, an uninvolving romance, forced humor, stale recycled plotlines. Xf on the otherhand had two engaging leads with mulder and Scully who actually had chemistry, consistency in quality, standalones that were actually interesting and not filler like on fringe. Its first five seasons were solid. Fringe was uneven. Xf science was believable fringes science was magic bending to the will of the hacks,,,I mean writers

both ended up with unsatisfying mythologies but at least xf mythology episodes were far more interesting on their own despite not really going anywhere. Xf is one of my
    top sff shows. Nothing in the last decade has even come close.

13. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

X-files Cheap ? The X-files was made back in the days when the studios could afford big budgets for making sci fi shows. The X-files episodes were not cheap to produce. Fringe was a very good sci fi show that i watched faithfully every week but it did not have the production quality of The X-files.

14. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Certainly X-Files for sheer ingenuity alone. However, There's something wonderful & unique about the humor on Fringe, specifically John Noble's performance, Walternate, FOlivia, etc... Or is it Faux-livia? :lol:

In that way, Fringe is easily as enjoyable a show, if not more

15. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

it's Faux-livia. :)

16. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

X-Files was great for its time, but Fringe was a more evolved and epic kind of show. X-Files was dealing with this undercurrent of "alien conspiracy" and a long string of episodes dealing with little bits of weirdness here and there, much of it disjointed-unrelated. Fringe was one giant interconnected series. Much of what happened did for a reason that connected to other events.

I did enjoy the Mulder-Scully relationship, but it was quite limited. Fringe was much more character rich, IMHO.

I was really saddened by the shortened run of Fringe. Frankly, I think it could have gone to a full 7 seasons, instead of 4.5. But in the end, I'm glad we got what we did, because it could have easily been canceled earlier (end of Season 3).